Microsoft announces its Chromecast competitor for $60

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft has announced a new peripheral today: the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. Boring name aside, the device is a lot like a Chromecast and easily allows you to turn nearly any display into...

Microsoft announces its Chromecast competitor for $60

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looks very interesting. A friend of mine is looking for something similar, and Intel's WiDi standard has slowly found it's way into desktop boards with integrated WLAN/BT too now.

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    The link in the article that is supposed to go to a list of "Miracast certified devices" just goes to a list of WiFi certified devices. The page says nothing about Miracast at all.

Also.. How is this going to sell for $60 when the Chromecast is $35? Looks to me like they do the same exact thing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Miracast is pretty much a fail.... There's no guarantee that any Miracast device will work with another Miracast device.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They don't. I wouldn't even call it a chromecast competitor honestly. Chromecast serves the video stream from a server. Miracast serves it from the device.

They both overlap in situations but Miracast is significantly better where lower latency is a must (Presentations, Game Streaming, etc). Chromecast is better when latency doesn't matter as much (Youtube videos, netflix, media). And yes I know that you can turn your device to a chromecast server and stuff but it still isn't as good.

That being said, and as sykozis stated, Miracast support is flaky.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had 2 "Miracast compatible" devices from Samsung... Coincidentally, they were't compatible with each other because Samsung used 2 different, incompatible, Miracast implementations.....yet, that was one of the advertised features of BOTH products.

Miracast is a, more or less, open standard. Every manufacturer can change how they implement it. Since there's no standard, set in stone so to speak, there's no guarantee that any 2 Miracast capable devices will work together. Even if they come from the same vendor. Unfortunately, that's what will eventually kill off Miracast in the long run. Alternative solutions that "just work" will come along and replace it. Miracast is one of those "great in theory but poorly implemented" ideas...which is a shame considering it's possibilities. If ever handled properly, it could be among the "game changing" technologies but as it stands that'll never happen.

7. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Well, according to the Chromecast website, some of the newer Android phones/tablets are able to mirror their screen to Chromecast as well.

I think the article about the Microsoft product has just sold me on the Chromecast.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was reading a refurbished Chromecast on Groupon is going for $25 with $10 code discount, temping for $15