1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft again halts October 2018 Update on some PCs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2018.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't think the distro really matters all that much, so long as it isn't obscure (by Linux standards, of course). I personally use Arch (a cutting-edge, rolling-release distro, with no corporate backing) for both of my primary PCs at home and it's a hell of a lot more stable than my experience with Windows, before or after MS ditched their QA team.
    But I do take your point - these problems aren't that wide-spread and for the most part, W10 is pretty reliable.
    I think it is worth pointing out that unlike a lot of people here, I don't hate W10.

2. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
    Isn't this what they've done with every single other feature update? Block certain computers with certain configurations and/or software which causes issues until it's made compatible and then provide the update? This is only news IMO given the last couple of issues but this is generally how they roll out feature updates. Gradually based on telemetry...

3. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    To be the devils advocate , people that run linux in their majority know what they are doing, windows users, their majority... well i have seen a lot of cases worth up to a super sonic facepalm . And not in here, in here are not the majority , we are enthousiasts! So in the aspect microsoft have to do a lot more baby sitting and prevent people from licking their windows! While linux will not allow you with out su access :p

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well this is an improvement over other times they blocked 1809 since it is only on certain PCs that deal with Cisco stuff and running that corporate security software Morphisec Protector. MS is getting close to getting it right.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapp. RX Vega 64 LC
  6. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX470 4G Gaming X
    You cannot release a new version of your software and claim that the problem when something breaks is not yours. The users don't care, they will blame you. This is why you have to be extremely careful and cautious especially when we are talking about an OS with a such high market share.

If something breaks, always hold.

Three times is too much, I can already blame Microsoft for its poor QA.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true. But I blame both companies for this because the company behind Morphisec Protector had ample time to bug test this and MS the same thing with the Morphisec program or any other program or driver for that matter.