1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft adds Variable Refresh Rate For Games that lack Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2019.

1. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 FE
    You need to go to System app/Display then Graphics Setting, it should pop up.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Let me toss some love Microsoft's way. This may not work properly but the fact that they are even bothering to make gaming better makes me happy.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Kill forced VSync/double/triple buffering. And similar things which may prevent game from actually delivering as much as it can within given HW limits.
    Now, some of things can be overridden by drivers. But maybe intel does not do that. Thing is that this adds another man in the middle. Which may be good for some things and bad for another.

Like, when people used direct sound to inject ESP overlays to games. It is another place which may be used for game hacking. And another place where anticheat may take a while to be able to detect hacks. (If they can detect them at all.)

4. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio X 2080ti
    Can I use VRR on HDMI now as a Nvidia owner?

5. Grumpymangrumbling2019

Grumpymangrumbling2019 Active Member

GPU:
    vega
    No option here.
    looks to be for the IGPU

6. Grumpymangrumbling2019

Grumpymangrumbling2019 Active Member

GPU:
    vega
    nope you need display port for freesync with nvidia.
    no support for freesync over hdmi with nvidia you need a AMD gpu for that

I might be wrong but i dont think so.

OnnA likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I just want to ask, it (VRR) probably needs HDMI 2+ as well, correct?

8. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Did anyone find any game that utilizes this option with success?

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Except id doesn't work as you say: the DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_TEARING flag cannot be injected in the DXGI swap chain descriptor on every DX11 application since it doesn't work with all DXGI version, while a non-UWP DX11 application can be built with any DXGI version. This means that forcing DXGI_PRESENT_ALLOW_TEARING in DXGI Present() will not work with applications built with older DXGI versions. The only exception are the UWP which do not support older DXGI version, which means forcing DXGI_PRESENT_ALLOW_TEARING flag is trivial. Yes, to make VRR works you need both flags.
    Finally, DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_TEARING will work only with FLIP swap effects, and not with BitBlt effects which can be used outside UWP. Also, FLIP swap effects do not work with Windows 7: DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL is supported on Windows 8 and forward and DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD works only on Windows 10: this means FLIP swap effects are not pretty common on applications meant to run on older version of Windows too.
    So yes, all this was made only for a well defined subset of DX11 applications: those do not use traditional fullscreen calls with Present(0,0) (traditional fullscreen and present(0,0) calls already produce tearing that can be feed VRR systems and that are not supported in UWP) and those meant to run using FLIP effects only (which is the only effect supported in UWP)..... So we have NOT(NOT UWP) intersect with UWP... which is... UWP intersect with UWP... which is... UWP.

EDIT:
    Added sources:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/dxgi/ne-dxgi-dxgi_swap_chain_flag
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/direct3ddxgi/dxgi-present
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/DXGI/ne-dxgi-dxgi_swap_effect
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/dxgi/nf-dxgi-idxgiswapchain-present

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  10. grabibus

grabibus Member Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX1080Ti
    I don't see the option and I have all requirements :
    Windows 10 1903 18362.145
    ASUS PG278Q (Gsync)
    GTX 1080 Ti

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't either. People are saying you need 435.27 to see the new option.

12. Hellraiser

Hellraiser Member

GPU:
    980ti
    WDDM 2.5 on my 980ti Feelsbadman. Got a AOC AG27IQG4 and nvidia released a driver to support the 24 inch version of my monitor for some sort of Sync but it seems I got dodged on that and now it looks like I have been dodged on this. :(