Microsoft adds TruePlay option to catch cheaters on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I hope this works well.

Silva likes this.
  3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    hmmmm, sure hope that it works properly,hopefully it doesn't have problems telling the difference between software like RTSS and / or injectors like sweetfx and genuine modification of the executable / associated memory

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    ... as well as any other sensitive files that happen to be on your hard drive.

I have very mixed feelings about it, define "game developers".

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    the single player game?

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Interestingly, developers can exclude certain parts of the game from being included, such as the single-player portion. The feature can be toggled on or off by users through Windows Settings, but turning it off won’t prevent them from launching protected games. It will, however, stop them from accessing the parts of the game that requires it, such as multiplayer.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't know about this... I don't really have the feeling that this will help against cheaters, it might bring occasional technical problems to people (bugs), and it scans what your rig is doing without need it in 99% of the time (people not cheating).
    Somehow it doesn't feel right to me personally, but that's just my opinion. Oh and yes, obviously you can't turn if off if you have issues with it like locking you out of games even though you're not cheating or if the program itself is simply bugged, so mandatory surveilance once more.

8. FeDaYin

FeDaYin Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 ref.
    And after cheaters are found, they block their IP/MAC address, or what ?
    How they found which exact person did whatever he did ?
    "Catch cheaters", where do they put them ?
    Devs cannot delete your paid game from your Steam, Origin, Uplay client etc

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You sound like a cheater.

Silva and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The holder of the IP might get sued. Accounts can be flagged as cheaters easily. Sure it's hard to get a hold of them, and certainly not on top of the game dev's list.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They can't "delete" your game, that is true, but they can ban you from it. This has been done multiple times. By signing up with steam, you have given them the right to revoke access to a game, or portions of the game, if you break the agreement, which includes cheating.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6899-IOSK-9514

"Playing games should be fun. In order to ensure the best possible online multiplayer experience, Valve allows developers to implement their own systems that detect and permanently ban any disruptive players, such as those using cheats.

Game developers inform Valve when a disruptive player has been detected in their game, and Valve applies the game ban to the account. The game developer is solely responsible for the decision to apply a game ban. Valve only enforces the game ban as instructed by the game developer."

Though it does not prevent someone from launching a game, if it is a multiplayer only game, then being able to launch something you can't play is useless.

Silva likes this.
  12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    My feelings are way different:
    `I just bought an expensive cpu + gpu combination, can you microsoft leave my cpu handling my game and not doing things i m not asking?`

i bet it collects also inputs, drivers hack,

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The issue definately is the question of what m$ tracks and saves. But performance wise, if everything works like inteded, you shouldn't be crippled if you bought expensive (= well performing) hardware.

14. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Thats why I had problems wiyh RTSS..?
    As far "game mode" bring me only problems.. with zero performance increase.
    This mode dnt look like component for gammers at all to me.
    Or its just another ms spytool..?

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    "but you just need to wonder though, what kind else does Microsoft collect, and for what purposes they could use it. E.g. what else is Microsoft watching and logging?"

Most likely watching and logging everything you do on your Windows 10 system and sending it back continuously. Remember, when something is given away for free "you" (and your data and usage) are the (valuable) product (for monetisation). Wasn't that what it was designed for? Most likely the US government agencies pays them a lovely amount of money to collect some of the data they want to get their hands on.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Too much data. It becomes hard to use really. I think it would be more selective what they collect since collecting everything would be bad.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Im With you. What about Single player games though. You are not hurting anyone if you cheat in Single Player games. I surely hope that this feature can detect and tell the difference between Single player and Multiplayer games. Game devs cant do anything if someone is cheating at a single player game because there is no way of them knowing or the Game dev does not care if the user does so.
    Or the feature works like this. It will be turned off until its needed once an online Multiplayer game is detected then it turns on and does a quick scan.

18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Blocking IP is just one of the old ways of doing it, servers would do that allot in the old days. Developers can block game keys and steam can ban players (you have to buy the game again on either).
    Yes, they can delete your paid game. It's on those terms and conditions of use no one reads, you have to use the game as intended or they can legally punish you.

New tech will always have bugs, but for this to work I'm willing to cope with any bugs might pop up. I've been crying for efficient anti cheat for about 14 years now, it's time to stop them and be able to play at the same level.

19. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Trueplay is off by default.
    Keeping it off may limit the games you can play.
    If you don't like it don't use it and avoid games using it.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I read it from WL's post earlier they can flag which parts need it and which parts / games don't fancy that cheat protection. So technically it's up to the game dev, although we know it's not always that easy. I never played a single round of GTA5 online and would still run mods with the risk of being banned for nothing, just because the devs themselves are stupid enough to not seperate normal and online play modes properly.

I can only imagine m$ has the plan to offer some tool against cheaters that is supposed to strengthen windows / UWP games, but I can't see that working. All that data logging is useless, I'm fairly sure some handy cheaters can circumvent that service anyway. What's left are the people not cheating but still giving m$ their data, which does nothing for the user at all. And if you can turn it off or it's off by default, it makes even less sense to ever activate it, especially if I'd be a cheater. Stupid idea...

Only time can tell if it's another brilliant idea like game mode (which is practically countering it's own purpose for many people), or if it even catches a single cheater.