Micron confirms GDDR6X for GeForce RTX 3090 with 12GB and over 1 TB/sec memory bandwidth

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Noisiv likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    So 12gb 3090 confirmed? That makes 3080 10gb card.

Come on AMD 12/16gb Navi cards. :p

3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Not enough for 8K gaming. This generation will be weak.

4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    You'd be daft not to root for AMD, i partly thank them for my new cpu and without them nvidia may not have as been as quick to launch these cards.
    Not too weak for CP2077 tho, enjoy your 8k gaming!

Solfaur likes this.

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I'd argue it's not enough going forward for 4K with ever-increasing texture demands and RTX features. Will Nvidia really be so stingy with VRAM... I might have to wait even longer for a new GPU purchase, which will drive me mad tbh.

Dragam1337 and itpro like this.
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'll have to see some performance numbers, but my gut feeling is telling me that nvidia is holding back. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "3090Ti" sometime next year with more bells and whistles including more vram.

7. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Is there some specific evidence the 3080 won't have 11 or 12 GB? I haven't been keeping up on all the rumors.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty sure the guy that wrote GDDR6x 12 for the 3090 - who was basically just proven right, also said 3080 @ 10GB.

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    you know what happened last time we went with micron memory at 2080ti launch..

Maddness likes this.
  10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah I'm still holding onto my 2K monitor and GTX1070. That has been a great GPU for 2K and it still does pretty well today. I have had this card right at 4 years which is long for me. Nothing has really come out since that generation that made me think I needed a new GPU. Certainly not AMD's paltry mid-range offerings and Nvidia's overpriced overhyped RTX GPU's. I expect this to be the generation I upgrade since we should have some serious performance increases from both camps. I will be waiting to see what AMD has in store before I buy a GPU.

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    With all the rumors floating around about 20GB & 24GB cards.. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them launch with the lower memory variants and later release models using 2GB memory modules on the board to double up the memory.
    Granted I'd imagine the costs for cards with double memory would be sky high!

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Quadro

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess it will also be half the price of the model number.

Silva likes this.
  14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Isn't that table just full of hypothetical examples? It has RX 5700 XT with 12GB of memory. Does such a thing even exist?

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  15. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    SImple logic is saying that faster memory bandwidth means that less VRAM is needed, or not? And more VRAM means more expensive card with bigger TDP which could be otherwise used for main GPU?
    Its really need with such bandwidth speed keep all asset within VRAM? Is not good enough use some good asset streaming?

16. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    Also Titan RTX has 24GB of vram which on that table it has only 12GB. I'm pretty sure there is no Titan RTX with 12GB of vram.

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Your average mortal can't dream of 4k and you're upset about 8k? What monitor are you running right now?

geogan and Maddness like this.
  18. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    One could argue that with the much higher ram speed and better optimization, you'd be able to do with less.
    I personally would like to see at least the 10 GB on the 3070 non-Ti series...or whatever they end up calling it.
    My old GTX1080Ti had 11 GB GDDR5...of which ACC made use of 7+ with big grids in VR.
    That's the most intense RAM usage I have of any game in my possession currently, so I would be good with the slight overhead.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @itpro
    Might wanna rename your account, as you clearly dont know much for a "pro".

Unless the tv is 85in and bigger and sub 10ft away, or your sitting less than 2ft away from 49 or bigger moni, 8K is irrelevant.

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The difference between 4k and 8k on a normally sized PC monitor is minimal enough that upscalers with sharpening will probably make it look almost identical. It's not DVD upscaled to Blu-ray where it's all blurry and awful. Honestly 1080p upscaled to 4k with a good upscaler and some sharpening is already closer to native 4k than anyone would like to admit.

RTX and DLSS were honestly not ready and still are not 100%. But the principles behind them is good. The future is not native 8k for now. The future is ray tracing 4k upscaled with techniques like DLSS. Personally i feel like nVidia should have kept RTX to the 2080 Ti and kept the rest of the lineup as less expensive GTX cards. RTX was just too expensive for what was in the end a beta test (maybe even alpha in the case of DLSS as 1.0 did not perform better than standard sharpening filters).

While i skipped RTX as it was too expensive in Canada i'm very interested in RTX 3k as long as nVidia can keep the price down a bit. DLSS has matured beautifully and games gain more with full fledged RTX than native 8k. Will be interesting to see if RTX 3k "affordable" mid range cards can at least provide full fledged ray tracing at 2k with decent fps (or 1080p with high fps). If so then i could live with DLSS personally. But as it stands right now the RTX 2060 S (only RTX card under 600$ in Canada) can't do that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Gandul, Maddness, itpro and 1 other person like this.