Micron confirms GDDR6X for GeForce RTX 3090 with 12GB and over 1 TB/sec memory bandwidth

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2020.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Dont know why some ppl think 8k gaming is around the corner. Its not. OK?

4k = 4 x 1080p
    8k = 4 x 4k
    8k = 16 x 1080p

It took years before 4k is only now becoming playable, it will take several further generations of GPUs before 8k becomes viable. But it wont be viable because it would require massive size displays to be able to see the difference vs 4k. There is the law of diminishing returns when it comes to pixel visibility, and 4k is about it from a practical standpoint. 8k is for very large TVs, not for PC gaming displays. It may have a niche for professional purposes, but zero need or point in it for gaming.

2. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    I want Samsung Gddr6x for better overclocking :D Micron sux :p

3. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    I wouldn't say 60FPS area is playable but u can dream on. I have serious problem when on almost top hardware most games struggling with 140FPS area, minimum, in 1080p.
    Granted, u can play 60FPS RTS or so, but FPS?
    And increased latency in addition? Blah....

And, for record, I have 4k Oled screen, 55 inches, 120Hz. Playing on it? Nah, prefer my 240Hz 1080p TN all the time.
    I admit, if there would be OLED 144Hz+ 24-32" screen I would jump it on spot. For blacks depth. My VR HMD is OLED driven too. Great stuff. Until FPS drops below 90FPS...Then nausea begins...

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Samsung sux, because there is no Samsung GDDR5X.

GDDR5X = Micron + Nvidia + pssst

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Nothing to do with FPS, all to do with diminishing returns re pixel visibility which makes 8k pointless for practically sized gaming displays (vs 4k).

Maddness likes this.
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Indeed, and I'd take high refresh rate and ray tracing + ultra settings any day over insane resolutions. And for that anything above 1440p is impossible right now, and likely this upcoming generation as well. Maybe with the exception of 4k with the 3090 where it will be doable at high refresh, that is if and only if they really did improve ray tracing capabilities in the 3000 series as dramatic as the rumors go.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I''m very happy on 4k with a 2080. Also have 1440p 120hz display but prefer the 4k 60hz simply because its more immersive to me. Different strokes, different folks. :)

Solfaur likes this.
  8. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    All these numbers do not mean anything to me, 4k, 60fps minimum and graphics in ultra, those are the numbers that interest me everything else does not mean anything.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    we barely have card that handle 4k @ 60fps current graphics that dont cost arm and leg forget about 8k for time being

TheSissyOfFremont likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    We are not talking about 8k resolution per se but 8k textures in games downscaled to 1440p/4k still use alot of vram and making things look better.

There will be games this gen using more than 8gb vram at 1440p especially with raytracing.

itpro likes this.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still we long way away.

Imo till the new console have been released and about year has passed, we wont see much in the way leap in pc gpu power. RT still to new it gona generations before it massive hit in performance is reduced, and more ram it gona reduce that performance hit. I saw performance hits Quake 2 RT has which like 30 year old game. just put RT on it not ready, which why i dont really by console will be able to do efficiently.

Time will tell, Like AO which I never used to it performance hit wasnt noticeable which took like 5+ generations. I wont use RT, I seen it while it look nice it not worth performance hit, for same reason I dont use 4k res, I still use 1080p or 1440p if the game support it threw internal rendering, that dont require me to change my desktop resolution to non native resolution, I dont even use 4k res on my UHDTV. I cant even run skyrim se at 4k with 4k texture on characters and keep 60 fps Nioh wont run 4k at max and @ 60fps it ranges from 45-60 like skyrim se. though I suspect my 6700k hold me back to a point

Yes for texture more ram would be nice like said wait till new gen console are release and been out for year. 16gb gpu will be come the normal after that for all but the mid/low end most likely

I think middle earth shadow of mordor and shadow of war are only game I have that actual played that use all 8gb of my gpu ram @ 1080p

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The adoption has begun.

itpro likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    For TVs, sure. Even though I think its dumb and unnecessary. And almost all viewing will be downscaled to 4k and HD due to bandwidth considerations. I really believe there is no need for 8k and that its completely driven by shady marketing practices to reel in gullible consumers who will think 8k must be twice as better as 4k regardless of screen size.

geogan and Maddness like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i agree to there not being a point to 4k in desktop gaming.
    however there is very much a point to 4k where used as an internal resolution or supersampling.

15. VenTK

VenTK Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070
    I'm still running a Maxwell card (MSI GTX970), and it's a weird feeling seeing it now as the minimum recommended GPU for some AAA games.
    I will definitely be looking to upgrade it come September, but I don't want to be spending $700 for a GPU.
    Whether or not I should settle for the cheapest 30XX series card or go for a used 1080Ti is the question...

16. nizzen

nizzen Maha Guru

GPU:
    3x2080ti/5700x/1060
    Using =/= need :)

Some games just caching as much as it can. It doesn't mean it need all that vram.

HandR likes this.
  17. Martin5000

Martin5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I only use HBM no exceptions.
    8K will never be a thing because it just isn't needed.
    My 65" 4k LG Oled HDR 120htz gaming tv has fooled people comparing against 8k screens.
    I dont think 8k will be a thing the future is down to the type of screen you use to gain image quality.
    Wont see me using a va or a ips screen again with its back lit dimming zones.
    Once you have played on a OLED you wont ever go back to IPS and the idea of looking at 8k will vanish.

18. Martin5000

Martin5000 Member Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I might drop pc gaming and just go to console in the future.
    we soon be at that point now where graphics comparisons will require freeze frame screen shot to compare what looks better. when that happens real life experience wont be any different between the two.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I'm all for 4k desktop gaming (with adequate screen size). Just not for 8k.

Maddness likes this.
  20. sozuoka

sozuoka Member

GPU:
    GTX980M 8GB GDDR5
    We expect to receive our Ampere sample (AIB) card at the end of this month, so probably you guys will get (correct) "leaks" a few days before that. No need to speculate too much, as the rumours are all over places now.

RodroG likes this.