1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microcode revision guidance from Intel

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by mbk1969, Jan 22, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still think INTEL and AMD and all the CPU make should REQUIRE all OS manufacturers to PUSH the update all microcodes needs to patch all this.

relaying on people to manual do said update is a disaster waiting to happen, and at that point cpu maker will blame OS makers and OS maker will blame CPU makers.

All the cpu maker can do update codes and push them vender and hope customers willl do require updates, which isnt gona happen for majority people.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    Agree, but I think most if not all manufacturers will release bios updates..

So these microcode numbers are new from Jan 2018?

By Haswell I see: 23 >>> 0x22
    Haswell perf: 18 >>> 0x17

But isn't this 0x17 old November release, very buggy on Haswell? Or maybe those that updated used wrong 0x17 on z87/z97 instead of 0x22..

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Most people are not gonna do a bios update most people are unaware of this to being, and even if diddo you really think majortiy people will do bios update? which is my point, current system is relying on public to be able to manaul do all this, Majority public dont know how or will even do this.

CPU makers and OS makers know exactly what needed and have means to push what is need to EVERYONE to protect them.

at moment only techy people know about it and will actual do what needed. you cant make sercurity update that need to be done, and expect everyone to be able to do manual updates or even know how to. especial when it can all be fix via OS update so long they willing to do what is needed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    H83 likes this.

5. The1

The1 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 780ti SC, H20
    Beautiful, just updated 4930k to 42a microcode and now should revert??
    Not having the random reboot issue, but is it still an effective patch for the vulnerabilities?
    i.e Spectre and Meltdown?
    Thanks,..

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Since we have no troubles with updated microcode we can stay at 42A. If problems will arise we will know what to do.

The1 likes this.
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
    Exactly my thoughts! Even if Intel and others deliver all the patches that really fix this problem, 90% of computer users won´t update them because they don´t know how to do it and they aren´t going to pay some tech guy to fix a flaw that they can´t feel directly or know nothing about...

This is going to be a goldmine for some hackers...

8. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Even worse, MOBO makers will not bother to release microcode updates for older boards. So, unless microsoft deliver the updated microcode trough WU which is possible because there's a 2015 update, a lot of users will be screwed.

9. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
  10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti GAMING X
    I contacted Asus regarding my 3 Z97 boards here is the response

Dear valued customer,

Regarding your below request, unfortunately, as of yet, we do not have any official information about the availability of an updated BIOS version to fix the spectre and meltdown issues.

Please check the Asus website periodically for updates.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_Z97_MARK_2/HelpDesk_Download/

Kind regards,
    Alexandros P.
    Asus Customer Service
    Asus Technical Support Site: http://support.asus.com

-Tj- likes this.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have an Intel i7-4770K (Haswell) CPU from June 2013 which has served me well and I have no plans to upgrade any time soon as I simply do not need to. I use my PC primarily for games and everything runs fantastic on max settings (bar supersampling which is an unnecessary luxury anyway IMO) as long as I continue to buy high end GPUs such as the GTX 1080 Ti which I currently own.

My own concern is with the Spectre flaw as my CPU and motherboard are deemed old now and I see no sign that ASUS will issue a new BIOS update for my Z87 Deluxe motherboard (the last BIOS was dated September 2014, I believe).

So what do I do to protect my PC from this flaw? Upgrading at this point seems pointless, not least because the available CPUs still have the flaw and require "patching" still and mostly because that is what Intel will be hoping people will do as it means more money in their pockets! I want to hold off upgrading for as long as possible for other reasons as well - such as avoiding having to redownload//reinstall software and games again.

Are ASUS obliged to issue new BIOS updates for affected Intel CPUs? If so when? The longer they leave the more likely it is that hackers will exploit the weakness.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Obliged, probably not. But they said they want to roll out the updates until the end of January. It's the 1st of February, and I haven't even seen an update for my Asus Rampage 5 Extreme's BIOS, be it stable / working or not.
    I guess they are crippled by Intels crappy microcode anyway, but this is the flagship board of it's generation in Asus' own product line, and they haven't even announced an update for it (just for the useless RGB everywhere version and one cheaper X99 board, the latest two to join the product cycle, iirc).

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @Darren Hodgson
    If there is updated microcode for your CPU then you can use 3rd party tools to incorporate it into BIOS file and flash it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yeah I know (you made a thread about it) only that there yet is no stable fix for Haswell(-E) microcode afaik, or am I wrong?

15. user1

user1 Master Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I wouldn't expect microcode /biosipdates anytime soon, intel screwed up the first microcode patch and on top of that , people became aware of how janky the "workaround" is , have a feeling hp and other oems are very pissed off at how this has been handled. intel was supposed to release preliminary fixed microcode last week, that did not happen afaik. my guess is that we wont see anything until mid february at the very earliest

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I was talking to Darren Hodgson. Just forgot to add "@___" ...

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Ah, I must have ninja'd in there.

18. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    Just wait Darren and don't worry about it. Check Google's "Retpoline". I have also i7-4770k and Asus Z87-Deluxe. And i tested edited Bios with UBU (microcode 23) . It wasn't stable, and i am not overclocking at all. I reverted everything back after 2 days of testing. Use only google chrome for now (latest version Version 64.0.3282.119), also it is a good idea using MVPS HOSTS for extra protection (also SpywareBlaster. Just google them). Chrome plugins > uMatrix, uBlock.
    Asus won't give us updated bios. https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2 Retpoline is the only good solution for us all and we need to wait for it. Also check askwoody website for latest KB issues.

-Tj- and Darren Hodgson like this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Im also at Z87-Deluxe.
    So it looks like they're waiting for Intel to fix this mess atm, not big deal though, us normal users are the last thing on someones mind.

Corporations/politics/financial sites is the first thing for sure.. If they're actually able to make such a hack in first place..

To me it looks like a scifi story then reality, otherwise intel wouldn't keep quiet about this glitch for so long. Well someone would have exploited this years ago e.g. Nehalem or SandyBridge, but nothing just now out of blue - boom all PC's on earth are at risk.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yeah... they said in 6 months they'd have everything ready. Then they said at the end of January. I'm just waiting on the two things:
    "Will be released at the end of February"
    and
    "Skynet rises to power by it's Meltdown/Spectre exploits" :D

-Tj- likes this.