Micro stuttering when games are in Fullscreen mode

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by lop734, Mar 22, 2021.

1. lop734

lop734 Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX2060
    I don't think it can be a hardware issue, as I said, it won't happen in borderless mode. and also wont happen if the game is using Vulkan
    and, resetting the DirectX cache or changing something in NVCP and reverting it fixes the issue until it comes back again.

2. garyb

garyb Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070
    Try setting windows power plan to High Performance.

3. lop734

lop734 Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX2060
    tried that much earlier
    no effect. that only controls the CPU clockspeed, i.e making it run at its max all the time. the CPU does boost to 4 Ghz all core, as it should, for the duration of the game/load. so, makes sense that it doesn't do anything I guess...

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Why not? If I had such a jarring issue, I would not think twice to reinstall Windows, each time a Windows install I have starts to do funny things way more I can tolerate, I wipe it out and start clean again, that never goes wrong and to fully set up everything again can take 1 or 2 days, unless you are lazy, do it. You can even try another Windows version, such as 1909 or 1809 so you can discard if your odd problems come from the newer build or something else.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Shader Cache is a thing alright, when i install a new driver i have stuttering for a while in FN: Save the World until everything is cached again.

Smough likes this.
  6. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    I have lower performance in Fullscreen than in borderless mode i never noticed it until i ran Superposition in both borderless and Fullscreen
    GPU utilization in fullscreen drops down to 80%

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Some engines and games behave better in borderless, yeah.

8. OldManRiver

OldManRiver Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    You might it if took days to restore TB of games. And yes they are installed on other drives. That does not prevent just every single game client out there needing to revalidate the game files which takes a long time. Then there's MS games, where it's easier just to redownload them rather than fudging with symbolic links and file permissions.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No such problem with Steam games, just point and games location on sperate drive, would though all clients stores do this now

Smough likes this.
  10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Couldn't quite understand what you meant, but doesn't matter, the fact of the matter is that he is having issues at some games and can't find a way to stop the weird stutters he has, so at this point the best he can do is a full, clean Windows reinstall, which is what I suggested. When I say it may take 1 or 2 days, I was referring to everything; drivers, custom tweaks you may consider are good, your daily programs, game clients and the usual stuff.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Exactly, this is why I simply couldn't quite get what he meant; all game clients or launchers can scan games anywhere, you just gotta point them to that location. On Steam and uPlay the scan is pretty much Instant, the only one that takes time at times is Origin because it checks game files for you, but that's not a problem and if a Windows reinstall will solve most of my issues, waiting a bit for some games would be the least of my concerns.

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    I think Windows Store/Game Pass Games/Apps will have to re-downloaded and reinstalled as well.

13. lop734

lop734 Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX2060
    alright I reinstalled windows
    hoping its gone now...

14. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Active Member

GPU:
    2 x XR 5700XT SE 8G
    Good morning. I also have the same stuttering problem, which I haven't found before. However, I believe that it does not depend on the operating system. Before I had the same system only that I had not activated the sizing bar in the Bios, now that I have done so I have encountered these problems. Also what helped me was that in the game I lifted the FPS lock which is the limitation to a certain FPS from the game itself, I basically let it go and that's fixed for me.My suggestion is that if you have fps limitation, try to take it off in the game, close Afterburner or other apps that do the same thing ...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  15. lop734

lop734 Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RTX2060
    I believe I have reached a conclusion
    The reason I reinstalled windows was that I got SFC errors. upon reinstalling windows, I ran SFC and still got them. it fixed all affected files according to itself and logs
    but logs do not show any affected file being detected. if there were, it would specify the exact path and filename. (source : MS docs)
    I reinstalled all background apps, everything from fan control, to quicklook. etc...
    The only thing I did not install was ASUS Armoury Crate. I do not have concrete evidence. but I believe ASUS Armoury Crate is to blame
    the only way to test is to reinstall armoury crate, but it integrates itself so tightly with Windows, that getting rid of it is a pain. and I already spent way too much time on this.
    for anyone reading this post. uninstall armoury crate. that might fix it. as it did for mine
    thanks for all the suggestions

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    armory crate isn't a software suite, its a deployment package for the software suite.

17. DanEVO7

DanEVO7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Duke 2080 Ti
    Try this:
    regedit
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\GameDVR_Enabled "0"
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode "2"
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\ApplicationManagement\AllowGameDVR\value "0"

This disables GameDVR. It helped in my case with stuttering.

18. OldManRiver

OldManRiver Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Yes Steam games alone do this properly where if you have games scattered over several drives it is relatively painless. Which is why I specifically mention Origin. Every singe game has to revalidate files. It takes hours. UWP games, use encrypted symbolic links. Apparently you folks only have 5 or 6 games installed and not TBs and decades of games. Kids like to argue I guess.

I should tell you my issues with MSFS 2020 and the days it took getting it running after it corrupted the OS and symbolic links. They need to change how the Store and UWP apps are done. It's just too painful and long of a process when you cannot backup their game assets and have to redownload. And don't get me started on 'reset' deleting the entire game instead of resetting the settings.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  19. wtfisgoingon

wtfisgoingon New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Just to clairify do you mean you're getting this micro stutter every 7 seconds while G-Sync is enabled?

Does the stutter change your frametimes when it occurs or is it just something you can feel or notice happening?

Are you using the "BPR Speed Patch"?

This probably won't help anyone in this thread but maybe someone down the road will stumble onto this and it will help them.

I use Gsync @ 144Hz in a game that is locked to 62FPS which I cap @ 60FPS and for the longest time I kept having weird issues that took me forever to figure out and it turned out to be that for whatever reason if my monitor was in sleep mode when I start up my system it created problems by giving me very steady micro stutter and it also made playing the game a bad experience because it felt weird and "off" the entire time not just every 8-9 seconds when the stutter would kick in.

After trying what felt like a million things and having to start keeping notes on the things I was trying and one thing that really drove me crazy was that sometimes everything would feel suddenly perfect and it was such a sharp noticeble change that it would really blow my mind but then the next day or later that day suddenly it would revert back and stay that way sometimes for days or weeks before suddenly working perfectly again. I couldn't figure out why it seemed so random.

Then one day when it happened again I finally noticed what it was! I found out that whenever the monitor would enter sleep mode and then be woken up by the system booting up these issues would happen BUT if I shut off my monitor and manually powered it up when starting up my system everything would suddenly work perfectly and even just shutting it off for a couple of seconds and then back on everything would work perfectly as well. I always shut my system down I don't use sleep modes but when it came to my monitor I just let it go to sleep because I wouldn't have thought it would matter but with my monitor it does.

20. zheega

zheega Member

GPU:
    R9 380
    I have EXACTLY the same problem. If the monitor is allowed to go into sleep mode, my games would start to stutter. But my FPS would be steady in games. How long have you had this problem for? It just started to happen to me, so I haven't done much troubleshooting yet. Rebooting my PC removes the stutter, but my FPS stays exactly the same.