Mhz refresh rate VS frame limit and eyecandy

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by vestibule, Feb 10, 2022.

1. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Hey guys.
    Maybes some of you will be able to answer my question from personnel experience.
    So, I seen that you can now get a 29inch monitor with a 240Hz refresh rate at good prices now days.
    But my gfx card in real terms is only capable of 60fps.
    So if I set the frame limiter to 60 and enable vertical sync.
    Will I see an increase in eyecandy (easier on the eye ) with a refresh rate of 240Hz vs standard 60Hz.
    Does that question make sense.

2. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    It doesnt make sense sorry.

The monitor itself will not give a higher visual quality at lower hz, typically the corners monitor manufacturers make to be able to hit these refresh rates will apply at lower refresh rates as well on the same screens.

So e.g. you could buy one of the new Dell IPS black monitors which are 60hz only panels and have much better blacks.

From the gpu side, lower framerates allow for higher visual quality as you trading the processing cost for quality vs framerate but the monitor isnt relevant for this.

3. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    @Chrysalis
    That pretty much answers my ambiguous question buddy.
    One more! Do you know why higher hz monitors are being bigged up over standard 60hz monitors.
    Is120hz better than 60hz?

4. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Marketers will go for what they think their customers want, for me personally the only value of 120hz is that it fits all of 24fps,30fps, and 60fps in properly so no vsync issues, actually playing at 120fps I feel no benefit.

But a lot of gamers, especially in shooters, love high frame rates and they are the people they trying to get to buy the products.