Metro: Last Light

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by villa_youth, May 31, 2011.

1. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    so what do we expect for metro 2033 redux?
    any thoughts, will it be better lookin than orig?

2. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Some of late Steam`s client updates removed benchmark binary file from game folder. I guess "update" was in creating this binary back. I know about missed exe-file because I downloaded it manually yesterday after I discovered it is gone.

Btw, with last NVIDIA`s WHQLs both 2033 and LL benchmarks demonstrate increased FPS.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Metro last light gave me poor sli scaling on both 560Ti SLI and my current 760 SLI.

Maldo discovered some bits which offered perfect scaling and around 40% increase, but at the cost of light flares showing through geometry.

Since then, nothing from him or nvidia.

Its frustrating when a 'demanding' game doesn't utilize SLI.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Nice find Jonas! I will post this on Anandtech forums as well..

I wonder if the Redux versions will use a 64 bit exe, as the current gen consoles now have 64 bit capability..

7. Cybernaton

Cybernaton Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 "FTW" 3GB
    My rig handled Metro LL fine on everything set to max except for AA and Physx; I either set AA to 2x or downsample from 2850x1600 100hz. I usually turn motion blur off in nearly every game, and I started turning off DoF too as it is unrealistic and pointless, aside from being a frame rate killer in some games and ENB presets.

As for Physx, I really hate it. It is not only bad for frame rate when things get hectic, but it is a silly implementation of visual fidelity; by the latter I mean moving cloths and stupid unrealistic particles flying around. I set it to low or turn it off whenever I get the change to.

Also Physx caused massive slowdowns in some areas in Metro LL, even though I have an Nvidia card.

8. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    There you go :
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870668

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Do you think PhysX is free, and that it doesn't cost anything? :3eyes:

If you're already GPU limited from playing at such high settings, then why would you think that piling the burden of PhysX onto your already overstressed GPU would not result in a performance decrease?

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Good find. I'm wondering if this means they also updated the core PhysX SDK to 3.xx..

The original Metro games used PhysX 2.8, which I'm not even certain has 64 bit capability. PhysX 3.xx I know for sure has 64 bit capability though..

So I guess this means that the PhysX effects in the Redux will be more prevalent and have greater performance :banana:

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've never considered the PhysX stuff in these games particularly system heavy, probably the only games were it's not poorly optimised and I hardly have the best hardware.

Will be interesting to see how these updates games turn out, while the games themselves are not the best I do love the atmosphere as I'm still not bored of apocalyptic themes.

12. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    I doubt I'm getting Last Light Redux, but definitely getting 2033 Redux. Looks way more improved and new visuals and gameplay.

13. Cybernaton

Cybernaton Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 "FTW" 3GB
    I never implied that. I know that PhysX takes resources on an already stressed GPU, but the tradeoff between performance and graphics is not worth it. Metro LL is a special case I believe; something is wrong with it because the frame rate literally went to single digits when I wasn't even in combat.

14. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice, it's using global illumination. Can't wait to get my hands on 2033 Redux.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I know for a while there was a bug that caused bad performance with PhysX unless you uninstalled the PhysX driver, and then reinstalled it manually..

Maybe that caused your problem, because the PhysX load in Metro Last Light isn't very high to begin with. Arkham City and Mafia 2 have a lot more PhysX effects going on than the Metro series..

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This was taken from an interview with one of the developers about 2033's PhysX
    It performed well because they actually took the time for it. Something that PhysX 3 improves on is easy implementation so we shouldn't see such issues :)

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    While I think it's very likely that they updated the PhysX SDK to 3.xx, I couldn't find any verification of that.. And PhysX 2.8.3 does have 64 bit support, so they wouldn't have necessarily needed to.

It's more likely that they did though, because the consoles run PhysX (low level stuff) on the CPU, and PhysX 2.8.3 would be much slower than PhysX 3.3 on the PS4 and Xbox One..

18. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That was in reference to the original 2033, not the Redux :p

19. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I suppose it's possible. I never had issues with Physx in either games.
    It's very well implemented but I assume Nvidia have done most of the job.

More Physx in games can't be a bad thing. I don't care if AMD can't be arsed to compete I want more Turbulence, more realistic cloth and debris.

20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    For me I've always felt the metro games did a good job of implementing PhysX, performance is decent and it doesn't look out of place or shoe horned in last minute like a lot of other titles, launching a grenade down a side tunnel and having all the debris come flying out like it does is awesome.