1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I appreciate the devil's advocacy but towards the end of the game, I fell into large expanses of water and magically ended up on shore, it's just not very well handled imho, but as I said before, it's very minor and more a case of me looking for something to whine about than something that actively ruined the game.

@Witcher29

Played the whole game through using DX12, never crashed in game but I did crash once on launch, although I suspect that is because a previous instance of the game was still running in the background (Entire playthrough was using 418.91).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    The 1080 used is oc'd and have not crashed to desktop. Have hard frozen once, soon after installing the .91 drivers. Rolling back to .81 since not only am getting just the water textures becoming black but recently getting scenes getting slowly blacked out. Only way to stop scene from becoming totally blacked out or recovering from a completely black screen is to quickly jerk the mouse and the scene returns to normal. Only way to recover once the water blanks out becoming a black space is to quick save, exit to the main menu and then reload the scene by clicking on continue.

Aside from all that, it really has been a fun game.

EDIT: have not opted to even try DX11. All played on DX12.
    Also, the Afterburner/Rivatuner overlay is still visible and active in the upper left corner while the scene becomes black.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I whined about this bitterly when I got stuck at the church, LOL (almost ruined the game for me at that point). I eventually smartened up and learned to use a boat to cross bodies of water.

I've found that this isn't a traditional open-world game - lots of invisible walls and blocked out areas. Having played Fallout 4 for 1800+ hours, I've gotten used to exploring everywhere (and swimming unhindered with over 5000 pounds of junk :p). Perhaps future DLCs will allow further exploration?

4. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Good to hear that i am not the only one with the freezing issue under dx12.
    Besides that its a great game :)

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well yea well no game is perfect, VTMB took years of fans efforts to make that game one of the best considered RPGs of all time it was a buggy mess at release.

But it comes down to where the imperfections interfere with the gameplay for me.

Like witcher 3 where most of the bugs revolved around your horse doing wierd things or clipping into the environment or characters, simple fix though limit your horse use to long travel. :p

but with metro you do not go too far in any direction to start hitting some of the clipping stuff. being a "open world" game where you are supposed to explore for side quests and materials and gear, there are ways to cleverly "immersively" block off areas mountains are a game favorite, or ruins buildings that block things off, you just need to put more work into your world design instead of putting invisible walls everywhere so the player is always going to find them just by playing the game the way they want you to play it.

so that does hurt the overall score of the game for me.

BangTail likes this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, this is not 'open world' imho, it's pseudo open world.

Don't get me wrong, I like where they have taken the series but it is still very much 'on rails' as far as I am concerned.

cerebus23 likes this.
  7. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    When you replay a chapter there's a way to avoid the sometimes lengthy opening conversations before you get into the real gameplay. You can put saves with a specific continue checkpoint in your savegame directory. Then start the game and at the main menu choose Continue which should load that checkpoint. Which may have already been mentioned.

You'd want to make your checkpoint save after the opening sequences of course, for each chapter you want to replay. And to keep track of which group of saves are which I make backup folder names like "Checkpoint in Volga" and "Checkpoint in Caspian" and so on.

I haven't tried just copying only the checkpoint save into the saves directory. I copy all the saves together. And the game has only one Continue game checkpoint so each group of backup saves you make represents only on Continue game checkpoint. And as I mentioned each one is of a different chapter or of different checkpoints within a chapter if you so wish.

Yes it can be a hassle to have to copy the saves into the saves directory each time you change chapters. But I'm mainly into games for exploration and if a game doesn't have fast travel or numerous saves slots then I use methods like this to speed things up past those god awful repetitive chapter opening sequences. They're ok the first time. You make like them over and over, I don't judge. Well I'm trying not to.

I wrote all this stuff because normally a replay of any chapter makes you start at the beginning of all those character dialogues except sometimes for the Continue game option. But the Continue option's normal function puts you at the same location each time unless you advance in the gameplay. But it's faster to get your favorite places in the game by using the saves copying method above to make the Continue game option load your specific checkpoint save.

Well I got very wordy again so I probably just should have said something short like when you replay chapters you can avoid the opening sequences by making checkpoint saves after the opening sequences and copying them with the rest of your saves into the saves directory. Then start the game and choose Continue to load up your saved checkpoint. Sorry I didn't put the short version at the top.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Finished it and compared to the previous 2 games I have mixed feelings, enjoyed it overall but sometimes I think it had a lot more potential.

A short somewhat spoiler filled review.

Game Mechanics:
    • Mouse Sensitivity still feels a bit awkard, Y/X axis feels off, as in previous games, less pronounced though
    • Guns or hitboxes, 1 of either isn't quite right
    • Animations/Recoil, feedback from shooting feels very underpronounced
    • Vaulting restricting camera movement
    • FoV: They still haven't learned...
    • For having so many boat sections they could've made the boats a tad more responsive...
    • Fast travel would've been nice, but also would've forced devs to put more content in the maps imo
    AI:

Well what can I say... they're not the brightest. I'm doing stealthy takedowns where I wonder how no one saw me, only to be spotted where I wonder "how?!" 1 minute later.

You can say what you want about the Metal Gear/Splinter Cell games, but they had believable and consistent stealth mechanics. Splinter cell had very well done light based play. MGS used the radar as a 2D mini game with cone of vision of enemies, etc, making for a very consistent experience.

There's very few first person shooters that have done stealth right imo... if any?

Gameplay (Story & Missions):

• Actually felt more repetitive with the open world
    • Human Enemies in some sections felt to kind in their "nature" or to comical, in stark contrast with the Nazi'esque enemies from the other games
    • Wish side missions received more attention and depth
    Note: Having to "fetch" something isn't necessarily bad, it's what I have to do to fetch something, it felt way to straight forward and generic.

Atmosphere:

Hit and miss. I still think the atmosphere was best in the snowy levels. The desert map felt to "sunny" and "fun times" compared to the gritty style of previous games. The underground bunker in the desert was a bit better but lacked extensive build up using sound queue's, having the spiders gradually creep you out, eventually leading to a climax that was a bit more frightening would've been better.

The first map felt a lot better at night than during day, whereas in Last Light or 2033 I felt more "creeped out" during bright daylight. It could've used more content.

The forest map its mutant sections felt OK, though I wish the bear was a bit more of a gradual scare. The human enemies were absolutely not scary due to their behavior and lore (they behaved like children basically).

The last level was imo the best atmospherically, thought I wish it was a little less tunnel heavy and a bit more city dwelling with shorter rides in the car. The car rides felt needlessly dragged out. The area where you get to the blind Gorilla ... before knowing it's a blind Gorilla is a great build up, but they ruined it once they had MORE of them. I wish they played a lot more with the mutant it's behavior here and kept it at just 1 big, unkillable Ape that you had to maneuver around. Eventually it got easy, lure one, sprint to the objective and there you go. Another example of a great concept that was underutilized.

Sometimes atmosphere isn't fighting a big ape, sometimes it's better to be practically out of ammo and having to carefully sneak past a monster that's asleep... which happened in some of the previous games.

Graphics being inconsistent at time didn't help the atmosphere.

Overall:

It feels like a less polished game from an atmosphere/story/gameplay point of view. They went with more features instead of polishing what they had. I think if they had spent another 6 months to a year adding content to the levels, it could've been an absolutely great game.

This game feels more like the devs are experimenting with new things, lacking some polish. IMO the next iteration (if there even is going to be one?) will make or break this franchise. Do they continue with the open world and make it much better? Or do they stick to what they're good at and make it more linear again but much more tight and atmospheric?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  9. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well it seems I had already found the guitar, hence why it wasn't there when I went looking for it again. I got the teddy too.

I also found the night vision goggles, the extended filter gasmask, the ammo vest, throwing weapons vest, and the the electrical charger. Am I missing something else in Volga? I think I've found all the goodies. Just got in the railcar.

Also...no crashes yet. Performance could be better on Extreme though. Playing on Ultra for more stable framerates at 4K with RTX and DLSS OFF.

10. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX GTX 1070
    @Corrupt^

Nice, how long did it take you?

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Does that mean you will be playing Fortnight now?

If No, why aren't you playing Fortnight?

I want to play the Metro so bad omg hurry up 2020...

XenthorX likes this.
  12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Finished it last night with the bad ending, going to have a crack at getting the good ending for the next play through.

Enjoyed it though, the game does feel a bit rushed in places and suffers from some of the same flaws as previous games but overall it was fun to play.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    6 months exclusivity would have been enough amirite?

14. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Compass upgrade in the plane. Im still in the Volga haha, how long i don't know but at least 6 hours.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    None would have been ideal :v

G*addict and BangTail like this.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Obviously yes.

BangTail and KissSh0t like this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Based on what I've read here I might get this from a Steam sale down the road, actually.

By then fully patched up and perhaps a GOTY version.

Some jank was expected given this is Metro (it's part of the deal and even appeal in some way) but won't get this for full price I think.

If this game actually comes / returns to Steam, AFAIK that hasn't been confirmed.
    Yes Epic exclusivity is timed but has DS / Koch confirmed they will release outside EGS after that?

18. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Is Version 1.0.11 the latest build? DX12 give some more fps but also crashes and hardlock (GTX1080Ti)

19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I've already splurged full price money on Resident Evil 2 Remake (to my satisfaction), so I really wasn't planning on getting this at day one. From what I've read so far, it's okay with some bugs and jank, but not that mind-blowing as a lot of people were hyping it up to be (except the visuals, which seem to be kinda hit and miss depending on what part of the presentation you look).

By all accounts, an 8/10 game, but one I wouldn't want to fork over 60 Euro on Epic for, since us Czechs don't get the discount Americans do. Please tell Mr. Epic boss that he can stuff his weird economics and faux-righteous posturings about Steam up his private parts.

20. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Yeah, it's in the statement from when they announced the deal with Epic. They said that tehy will return the game to Steam after the exclusivity contract expires.

AsiJu likes this.