1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Have you guys heard anything about this game being a Windows 10 exclusive? I read some stuff implying that Metro Exodus will be like Quantum Break, in that it will be release first on the Windows store, followed by a Steam release later on. I wouldn't mind it being Windows 10 exclusive, as that would definitely be a major hint that it's using DX12 only. I am concerned however that it would be released on the Windows store first, as the Windows store is nowhere near as good as Steam. I am not against the Windows store per say and I've bought games from there, but it does have some issues.

Anyway, I'm really hoping that it's DX12 only. Windows 7 can just die! :p

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Being released on the windows store first just means pc gamers will wait longer to play it.

DX12 only would be a silly idea.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Last time I checked, PC gamers on Windows 10 have access to the Windows store.

How is that? DX12 is much better than DX11 when implemented properly, and considering how graphically intensive this game will be, I think the developer should use a modern API so they can squeeze as much performance out of the GPUs as is possible.

The only downside to using DX12 only, is that some sales would be lost due to some gamers stubbornly sticking to Windows 7 despite the fact that Windows 7 is an old, long in the tooth operating system.

ramthegamer likes this.
  4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, on the fence about DX12, I agree that when it is implemented properly it is awesome but the fact that mGPU has had more than it's fair share of problems with DX12 makes me apprehensive.

SLI scaling in the other 2 Metro games was some of the best I've seen so I would be more inclined to see both DX11 and DX12 support so that we have the choice.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    If said pc gamers are willing to put up with it that is.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    AsiJu likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Checked game's website and GameInformer and no mention of such thing and Steam logo is shown at bottom at site.

I really hope no Windows Store at all. Have never used it and don't intend to start now.

Everything I've heard and read about WS and UWP is just no. Not to mention another platform on top of Steam/Origin/Uplay/Battle.net...

Also if released on both then devs need to make both UWP and Win32 versions and that would likely mean neither is really optimized.

All in for DX12 if done right but rather have a well optimized DX11 renderer.
    However Exodus could be one of the first games properly written for DX12 from ground up given its development cycle.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    And bad marketing.
    Lot of folks still on Win7.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The game can be on STEAM and the Win10 store. Multiple titles have done so.
    And, if it is released on both... it will be UWP and Win32. UWP can only be used through the Win10 store. So, given that Exodus is coming to STEAM... that release will NOT be a UWP title.

And, UWP alone is not the issue. Gears of War 4 runs amazingly well on a wide range of hardware. All with great performance and amazing visuals.

The issue is a lot of developers have trouble getting the most out of DX12.
    And when DX11 does everything most studios want/need, there isn't really a push to really learn and adapt to the newest version of DX.

I don't see 4A being so dense as to ignore and isolate a large group of possible sales/gamers but making the title DX12 exclusive. If the title uses DX12, chances are it will also use DX11.
    And, even so, if it is a UWP title... that alone does not mean DX12. Dead Rising 4 was released on the Win10 Store first... and still used DX11.

9. michael_d

michael_d Active Member

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    I hope by the time this game is released there is going to be new hardware available from nVidia. Even my Aorus 1080Ti can only play Metro Redux fluidly at 1920x1200 maximum with SSAAx4.

DX12 would definitely help to utilize all available resources. Plus multi GPU support.

I think next generation GPU technology and Metro Exodus complete one another.

10. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7850 OC
    @michael_d huhhh, not sure if you are aware, but using SSAA at 4x it's the same thing as running at 4K with downsampling to 1080P
    So you are pretty much running the game at 4K

AsiJu likes this.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti

You should hope that the currency mining drops out making GPUs affordable and available.
    Doesn't matter if Nvidia release a new series of GPUs, the miners will jump on top of those and buy them out just as they've been doing for the past year or so.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I don't think 4A games will have this problem, as they are technically very proficient. Also, DX12 has improved since it was initially released, with better tools and better documentation.

Microsoft might be partially financing the game. The game was initially revealed during the Microsoft E3 conference after all, and was marketed as coming to the Xbox and Windows 10 platform, with no mention of other platforms. Of course I am sure the game will be coming to other platforms, but the developer might give special attention to the Windows 10 and Xbox One X versions.

Also, Windows 7 is rapidly losing market share, at least according to the Steam hardware survey. By the time the game launches later this year, Windows 10 64 bit will likely be the biggest OS platform on Steam.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The game is listed as coming to Xbox One, PS4 and STEAM. STEAM is the only option for pre-purchase for the PC platform.
    Also, it is being published by Deep Silver.

Microsoft have no special claim to the title, with no exclusivity or feature list.
    They probably just wanted 4A to reveal the game during the Xbox One X presentation to make the new console seem more powerful. When in fact the game is also coming to other platforms.
    It's not uncommon for a game to be revealed on one conference when it has no specific claim to that publisher.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Was there a release date? I am definitely looking to upgrade to a better laptop when finances allow just for this game.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Autumn 2018.

They haven't gotten any more specific then that.

16. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
  17. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX580 8gb
    Wish it was fully open world personally but I'll take what I can get, just wish for a new Stalker TBH.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    You should be able to do a solid 60 fps @ 1080p with high settings or even very high I think.

I played the original 2033 @ high and original LL @ v.high settings with a R9 290 and i5 Haswell CPU.
    Solid 60 fps throughout even with original 2033's notorious DoF and Tessellation enabled.

Don't use ingame AA though, force FXAA from driver or use ReShade. Both games have only MSAA as antialiasing IIRC and it tanks performance badly.
    Unless Redux versions have alternate AA methods.

Also disable Advanced PhysX.

(Only with my current 980 Ti am I able to play original Metro 2033 @ very high settings without framedrops, lols.)

19. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Awesome graphics and Ai, Metro games are always detailed and fun to play but let's see how much graphics requirements it needs for a PC.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Last Light uses SSAA, they only used MSAA in 2033.
    With the Redux releases they use AAA (Analytical Anti-Aliasing) a form of AA created by 4A Games.
    The Redux versions also still offer SSAA on top of AAA.

I just finished replaying 2033 Redux and Last Light Redux, and at 1080p help a solid 60fps with a mix of High and Ultra settings. The Redux versions perform much better then the originals.
    Also, 2033 Redux is a much better version, more balanced and gunplay/combat feels moresolid.