Metro Exodus patch #1 - Should Improve DLSS sharpness and RTX optimization

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    HARDRESET likes this.
  2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Nvidia's patch notes:
    *Add sharpness filter* √

3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Does it fix the laughably low RayTracing frame rates on my 2080ti? I get almost a 50% reduction in performance.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    40 - 50% seems to be what it comes up to during testing and the map used, it is demanding though and might not be worth nearly halving your framerate even if the image quality difference is quite a step up but even hitting 60 FPS can be a issue at 2560x1440 or higher let alone something like a 120Hz G-Sync monitor though with that at least G-Sync can help a bit. :)

EDIT: Though perhaps similar to Battlefield V the tech could be updated and refined in later patches or take various additional optimization measures to lessen the hit although it already has some presets for how this is working.
    (The Digital Foundry video and interview with 4A engineers covers that better than I could explain.)

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    DLSS was finally fixed, so you can use it to get FPS boost, its no longer blurry and indistinguishable from Native 4K during gaming.
    Making screenshots and zooming 8 times doesn't count :)

JonasBeckman and Xtreme1979 like this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Saw the comparisons, that's certainly one way to do it, utilize a sharper image and restore the quality lost from upscaling at least better than before this change and then the extra performance could be used to drive the RTX diffuse global illumination implementation. :)

Or however it's done, from comparing the old version and the new one it looks like r_dlss_sharpening was added as a new variable with this patch but it's likely not just running some simpler sharpening effect (Such as just a post-process shader effect.) either or there would be various artifacts and other side effects.

Heard the AI algorithm and profile for the game and likely also the library they're training it on will improve too (NVIDIA promising to improve on DLSS overall too.) so either later patches or drivers could result in a even better effect down the line though the comparisons from 1.0 and this 1.0.1 version and DLSS is already very impressive especially if the same also holds in motion and not just a static image comparison.

And this is just the start too, newer faster hardware and refinements to RTX (And the SDK NVIDIA has for this.) and perhaps DXR too (From Microsoft.) could see further refinement of this and additional ray-tracing techniques.
    (Along with Vulkan and it's extension system though for now there's nothing using that, would be interesting to see DOOM Eternal and idTech 7 doing something with that.)

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    After finally getting to try it in FFXV. If anything it's overly sharpened there. Leaving ringing and edge aliasing more apparent.
    But in general it's a smeary mess, it can't properly decipher low frequency information often leading to dark detail being overly filtered, it's not as temporally stable as they claim. As with the TAA it fails when there is a transparent surface between two objects like a glass wall or a windshield and in the same areas TAA does and in instances where TAA somehow does better. (Funny considering how bad FFXV's TAA is)
    It also adds artifacts like smearing when it can't keep up in motion or in surface crawling/wobbling.

It looks decent when downsampling to 1080p. But honestly it's kind of farcical, because the upscaling absolutely kills it. It's not anywhere near the "Ground Truth 64xSSAA" they claim it to be. Unless there is some magical DLSS mode that works at native rendering resolution without the Waifu2x upsampling. I can't believe they put this much marketing clout into this. And like all other junk Nvidia makes they dump this out there. It will get support for only the biggest AAA games for a small time and then they will just stop bothering. At least in this case there really isn't lost potential unlike all the features they've released and abandoned in the past. (DSR, 3D Vision, Driver HBAO+, AA Flags, MFAA,etc)

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130672
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/130673
    There's no way DLSS is "Indistinguishable from native 4k". I can notice all the flaws and problems when it's downsampled to 1080p from 4k. I can only imagine how bad it looks on an actual native resolution monitor.

And most of the screenshots i've seen of Metro look even worse than FFXV. Adding Ray Tracing on top with the denoising and temporal filtering that has to happen to make that look even remotely decent and you have a recipe for terrible image quality.
    I'd rather waste all that extra render time on actual improvements to image quality.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Ive been playing it on xbox one and to be honest....The game is Amazing but there is a few technical issues that are annoying the crap outta me, IT takes forever to be able to shoot-Making 1 shot out of 10 is a good day and yeah I know my reflexes probb went to crap at my age but still feels a little bit laggy at some parts.

The story and gameplay are out of this world I did not expect this from 4A honestly, Its like they took the best out of Stalker and Metro put some hott sauce on it and gave us Exodous!!!! Kick-ass no doubt. My opinion at least.

Xtreme1979 likes this.
  9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    C'mon guys, just admit you were bamboozled with the RTX series cards.
    I'll sit this one out.

10. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Bamboozled? I upgraded from a GTX 680 to an RTX 2070. I love DXR, can't wait to see more, and only Nvidia currently provides. $585 for a STRIX OC model with BFV for free, I wasn't bamboozled. You should have sat it out, and not try to start trouble.

MegaFalloutFan and Aura89 like this.

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I'm just stating the obvious !

1) The Gtx 1070, when released, was $379, let's say that a Strix was about $390? so yeah $585... it's a steal!
    2) DXR? You mean ray tracing? Yeah, on the 2 or 3 games that it works, I think that BFV is the only one that has some noticeable visual quality enhancements. Ones that you cannot appreciate when frantically running and shooting at people.
    3) BFV? You know that that game is manure, right? It's everything why the gaming industry is going to the crapper (at least what it represents). So... Yay! Let's keep supporting EA....

Anyway, it was my opinion, I'm not trying to start any trouble, you can either accept it or not and that's that. There's no need/obligation to reply ;)

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol you're telling people they've been bamboozled, calling the games they play/like crap, then hiding behind "just my opinion, not trying to start any trouble"

Xtreme1979 and Aura89 like this.
  13. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, I must admit game IS crap. Don't have it, but played it while had it by Origin access, was like 3hrs or 6 maybe...
    MAIN issue with this game was, as it looked worse (thx to TAA I couldn't turn off) it was slower than BF1.
    Did I mention the cheaters?
    That guys fkin everyone else fun and EA still doing nothing?
    Glad I did not bother to buy RTX card, is pointless now...

pokerapar88 likes this.
  14. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I don't hide behind anything. It IS my opinion and as such, cannot be taken for granted. Nevertheless, I just gave my reasons as to why I believe this (when being confronted), and as of yet, no one refuted my statements. Which leads me to believe that my opinion wasn't as wrong as they said it was.
    I'm glad if people who bought the RTX cards are happy. But that does remind me of the saying "ignorance is bliss".
    If we want EA, Nvidia and other dirty companies in the gaming industry to stop these practices, we need to vote with our wallets, reason why, it is important to be informed.