Metro 2033

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Synks, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Going to play thru again, thanks for the tip I did not know that.

2. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
    yes the season pass for metro LL

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah the DOF kills it for some reason, im playing it with that off, but everything else maxed, and it runs like a dream :)

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Thing I recall about this game was that I didnt care much about the beginning and ending, but in between nice gameplay, better than Metro LL. Both games look nice graphically, mostly due to the advanced lighting effects that no other games can match.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its the atmosphere that grabs me, feels complete and reminds me of the days when i was younger playing playstation 1/N64 games how captivated I was and then with Splinter cell Ct, Riddick EFBB, Doom 3, years later.

Sure the gameplay is rinse repeat, but the world setting feels believabubble and well designed imo.

Shame about the DOF in this Metro as i feel that it adds another layer to the visuals.. as depth i guess, lol.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Started back on this a few days ago to try and get it finished, and absolutely loving it, managed to reach Polis, and now got to get to some archive.

'We got a moron down here!' :D

Took me ages to do the Outpost part, just after they let through through into the tunnel (and they shout about the bats), kept getting blown away by the buggers :D, but then i discovered a ladder at the back that took me up to the top, so i could pick em all off from up there :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  7. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Nice!

I finished it a week or so ago, loved it! One of the best games I've played! Looks stunning too!

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Cracking game for sure, i didn't think it was much cop after playing the demo, but when it was in the Steam sale for about a fiver ages ago, decided to give it a try, and glad i did, as it gets much better the further into it you get, sounds great to, definitely worth cranking the sound up to play, the grunts and groans of the monsters, the whistling wind down the tunnels etc..., really sets the atmospehere.

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    A fellow guru member gifted me a copy some time ago. I'm in a mood for a dark FPS right now, so I may give it a shot on the weekend. Hope in runs decent on my old PC.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    graphically speaking the game is cracking, but the weapon models and shooting mechanics leave a lot to be desired, looks like a game from 2002 in terms of shooting mechanics, absolutely close to terrible weapon models i would say.metro last light has far better shooting mechanics and weapon models.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ive only got the Shottie, and that Laser silent job that guy gives you earlier on, and now at the Archives, with less than 10 Shottie shells left, so having to use that laser job on the rest of those big beast things, and they take a shed load to drop :eek:, took out the earlier ones no probs with a few Shotte shells when i had a decent supply! :D

Keep getting mullered of the 2x big black ones when you come out of that lift that drops :(

12. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    If you look them directly in the eye they wont attack so you can back away from them to get some distance. But as soon as you turn and run you can hear them start coming after you. It is a tense situation especially if you don't have the ammo to shoot your way out.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah i just give em a burst as they start coming towards me, then turn and run, but they fast buggers! :D

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Bit further on now, forgot i also had the pistol/magnum, which ive got near 500 rounds for, so using that on the buggers as well, killed about 5 of the sods now :p

EDIT: Done it!

Got the docs out of the deposit box, and after travelling to the Sparta Base, i picked up an absolute shed load of ammo, well, he did say pick what you like, so i cleaned him out! :D

Fantastic game!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Now on D6 with me Squad, was great when we were heading in and loads of the buggers were comng for us :D, just done the bit where you activate those generators (or whatever they are), to get that little cart going for us to go down after we got off the train, them jumping things with the shining eyes are bloody hard, jump all over the shop! :D

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Just booted up the game after finally completing Last Light which was absolutely fantastic best looking game I have ever seen in motion!

However, Metro 2033 I just can not get into. I have played the opening 20 minutes now about ten times and can not get past the slow pace, annoying gameplay mechanics such as checking your timer, pumping up certain guns, and your flash light, etc. I also for the life of me can not figure out how hardware has not caught up with this game yet. I am running it maxed out 1080p DX11 with AAA enabled as MSAA destroys fps for me. But still I get mouse lag (yes I have Vsync OFF), tons of tearing in areas, and the frame rate even when its 50+fps still feels like 30-40fps also in areas it dips below 30fps as well! I know the game was a first attempt and horribly coded (which they MUCH improved in the second game) but seriously I just can not get into this at all?

What am I doing wrong in terms of settings any quick improvements I can make?

17. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    If I remember correctly the advanced DOF was a major performance killer for a very minor visual improvement in 2033. Might be worth seeing if turning that off fixes anything.

I'm playing through the library DLC mission for Last Light. It is a taste of what a non-linear Metro game would be like and it is great. I really hope they take the series in that direction since I don't think Stalker will be back any time soon.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Welcome to M2033

That's around the same experience I get, I think the game itself is just horribly optimized, doens't matter what you set it to, you still get stuttery laggy gameplay, which is a massive shame because the the game itself is great, yep you have to pump up guns etc, but if it ran smoothly that would be fine, unfortunately it adds to the annoyance when it runs like a dog

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I just use AAA, and the DOF does cripple performance, so i have that off as well, doesn't run to bad tbh, i just get a like hitch every few seconds, but thats a known problem, and can't stand the tearing, so have v-sync on through D3DOverrider, along with the triple-buffering.

Does take a while to get into it, starts off slow, but as said, gets much better once you get past that, and further in, so im glad i stuck with it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well stuck now, them bloody globule things that come out of them things on the walls and floor, bloody solid, keep blowing up next to me, and showering me with all their goo :(

Just found you can get rid of the things they come out of, no wonder the buggers keep coming! :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014