Metro 2033

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Synks, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    In any typical game when you turn off PhysX, or turn down a graphical setting they just use a lesser effect in it's place. What turned me off so much about it in Cryostasis was when you tuned off PhysX there were all sorts of things just plain missing completely. You would hear water gushing from a pipe but nothing would actually be coming out, the water cannon shoots essentially nothing, and other various strange things that only half exist since the game seems to be built around having PhysX enabled. I'm sure I'll just pick it up in a few years when PC's can actually play it properly.

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Shoot faster... just shoot them, turn around, shoot the others, turn around again, ...

This counts for any FPS, be it offline or online, if u shot an enemy in front of you and the place in front of you is cleared, turn around, even if there's noone there, at least you'll be prepared if there IS something there, crawling up your back.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    hmm i never knew that, i'm going to try it on my GTX260 just to see the effects you talk about, if this is the case then this is very stupid from the developers, i understand PhysX gives additional cool effects, but removing "essential" stuff (cannot shooting nothing instead of showing at least something) is really dumb.

:)

4. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    this game looks interesting, to bad theres no demo ...

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    lol that indeed sounds like pretty much Fail :D

6. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Cryostasis without physX is abit pants to be fair, i agree with what the guy says, the world doesnt look half as good because physX adds loads of enviromental effects, and the water gun is a joke without it.

its more of a tech demo for what physX can do than a game tho.

anyway, back to metro 2033.

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Crap guys here is a test I did. I think SLI is just not working in DX10 :/
    Looks like I'll stick with DX9 in my next playthrough :/

DX9

[​IMG]

DX10

[​IMG]

DX9 SLI

[​IMG]

DX10 SLI

[​IMG]

edit: Another test

DX10 SLI - Flashlight OFF

[​IMG]

DX10 SLI - Flashlight ON

[​IMG]

Houston, I think we got an optimization problem here. :p I suggest SLI/Dual chip cards users to be careful in DX10 with this game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  8. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    this game is great. so immersing, the attention to detail is amazing
    from the smoke coming out of your handgun that makes you have to move[specially with night vision] to the damage your mask takes.....even the way you walk when you have some1 on your shoulders

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    guys what is the preferred driver with a Nvidia 295 ? gonna play at a friends house tonight

10. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    The latest beta 197.13 and the latest PhysX (inside the Metro 2033 install dir or at install of game).

11. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
  12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

Yes I've been playing FPS games since Wolf3d. Its not a problem with killing the things. Its that my partner seems to die at the same part everytime no matter how many hit him. He can get hit by every single blob and then dies right at the end. Or he can not get hit by any and still dies right at the end.

13. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

1) you can add non steam games to your steam list if you want. even tough i dont understand that steam has to be a prerequisit. if you limit yourself to games that are in the steam store you will miss alot of high quality games out there.
    2) physx? you know nvidia is not the only company that offers engines capable of realistic physics
    3) why would anybody use a gamepad for a FPS... AWMAGAWD
    4) 64bit support? its your OS that has the 64bit support. the game "requests" ram and the operating system supplies it. if you use a 32bit OS, you are limited to about 3gb of ram.with a 64bit os this limitation is alot higher.

i realy wonder about some users at times :) when i see their systems and then read what they are writing.. once again AWMAGAWD

14. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I ****ing hate those ****ing apes!

The ones in the archive/library. Is it even possible to kill one?

15. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    This game is the better game I played in my life , its damm heavy , but the game is AWSOME.

Its easy kill the monsters , the problem is find a good amount of bullets , 110 bullets and I kill like 20 monsters = 1 fight scene.

16. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I thought this was supposed to be out today, i still can't get it for christ sakes.

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It's listed as released on Steam, got my copy earlier (Was cheaper, also had bonuses like a automatic shotgun, still it's tied to Steam but it finished a while ago.) so it should be fully playable all over the world by now.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3621/

Not played much, tinkered a bit with the config file, seems most settings are presets and can't be adjusted individually though a lot can be fine-tuned via the CFG although most variables are pretty strange and figuring out what does what is a bit cumbersome, using VHigh as a base and I get about 30 FPS average which is fine, grenades really hit performance though due to advanced physics being on so extra decals and other smaller effects being added, large combat scenes also lowers FPS a bit but it's still over 20.
    (Which is fine to me, I ran trough Oblivion at "max" with a ATI 9800XT and Crysis with a 2900XT also at Max where FPS was 10 - 15 at times, can handle lower framerate though and don't play much online so it worked just fine, haha, not that I don't appreciate higher but I might as welll increase visuals if I can handle lower values just as well.)

Tried to enable GI but it looked rather glitchy and flickered a bit, r_gi_quality from 0.4 to the full 1.0 solved that but instead sent performance into a stable 3 FPS which wasn't really usable, rs_texture_streaming off also was worth testing but while it did disable streaming it did it in the wrong order so you only see the low-quality blurry textures instead of having the high quality ones always loaded. (2 GB GPU RAM should be fine to handle that stuff otherwise but it unfortunately didn't work as I expected it to funny to see though.)

Overall though the game looks quite good, a lot of shader works like in Cryostasis and the model quality is a bit rough but overall it's very impressive.
    (Although on comparison Crysis and to a degree Far Cry 2 does the same but with large open levels, usually not as atmoshperic though main competitor is Stalker and not Crysis though Call of Pripyat is quite impressive as well if not as detailed as Clear Sky it uses fairly huge and open levels and also features very advanced shader techniques, kinda balanced in Pripyat compared to SoC and Clear Sky, heh.)

Given a bit of driver optimization and perhaps another patch it should improve a bit, not a bad game as such though.
    (And it is more than just a direct port which is nice compared to say the upcoming Splinter Cell game though I suppose Assassins Creed 2 kinda is a bit in the middle of both extremes to be fair with titles like Devil May Cry and Biohazard 4 being the other extreme as direct ports with very little work on the PC edition, looking forward to seeing how Just Cause 2 fares come to think of it, demo was impressive though gameplay might be a bit repetetive and simplistic but it was fun. :D )

Not much more to say about the game, still only at the second chapter and just after the starting area so there's a lot more to see and do in the game.
    (Should be seven chapters or so all in all from what I've read at roughly 8 - 10 hours depending on difficulty and exploration done.)

19. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    resolution ??

I can play the game at 1680X1050, High, DX10, no AA, 16AF, advanced physx on.
    At very high i have terrible minimums (20fps).
    The same if apply AA, even on high (min 25fps)

I like the game, but i can't say that is something special (till now).

20. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i found some in an alley thank god for that, now i am at the War level, no problems so far