Metro 2033 - Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kanej2007, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    You definitely get the old rusty look with this game. But personally I like that. The game itself is well worth getting at a lower price. It's very short and like someone has said the ending is very rushed. It had a "is that it" feeling, similar to Stalker games. It's very linear as well (not necessarily bad). But picture an underground train network, the nice straight, confined tunnels, with the odd station where you can have a quick look above ground before you go back under. Kind of how the game feels (edit: Actually, that's how the game is).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, stalker was similar in the fact it had that old rusty look and after playing for a few hours, you realise your suddenly on the last stage and it suddenly ended.

I will try and find a used or cheap copy from ebay...

3. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    It isn't a bad game. I got it on the steam holiday sale. I played it a couple weeks ago. It didn't run particularly great on my rig heh. Graphics were really good not even maxed out though.

It is a fairly typical shooter. There are stealth elements; however they are somewhat ill-formed and confusing. Sometimes you feel like you should be spotted and attacked, the next you don't know how they found you. Ammo is somewhat scarce, by design, it is very survival-horror-like. There is usually enough to get the job done.

The storyline is confusing. I won't go into spoilers. I'm not sure if it is a translation issue or if perhaps it was required that you had read the book to understand the game. At the end my response was "oh, I was supposed to feel bad?". It is a fairly standard storyline, with the usual "war is bad, peace is good" tripe interspersed between shotgun blasts to all manner of beastie and human faces. Lol.

The major good point for me was presentation and atmosphere. This is why I like the russian games. They do bleak terror so well heh. I liked Stalker and loved Cryostasis. This one does not disappoint. Ammo as currency! Fantastic touch. Military brass being more powerful than the standard reload crap that you use, can be either used in your gun or used in trade for weapons and at one point, armor. Makes you make a difficult decision to shoot your money should you run out of crap ammo at some point or go melee. The voice acting was decent. Sounds in general were pretty good.

Power, food (don't worry you don't have to eat in this game), ammo, all very scarce. Your powered devices (flashlight etc..) all run off of a hand-charged pump that you have to recharge with the trigger from time to time. Pneumatic weapons are similar. You have to wear a gas mask from time to time with finite number of filters that wear out. When a filter starts going bad, you start breathing wheezily and your mask cover starts fogging up. Can induce panic when you are running low on filters. The visor can be cracked when you take damage, restricting your vision (you can find new ones).

You come across parents having conversations with their small children about "what happened to mommy and when they'll see her again" (clearly something bad happened) that make the situation seem all the more grim. The bad thing is that most of the "town" areas seem very small. They tease you once later in the game, showing you a large settlement that would be neat to explore, then railroad you into a small building and kick you into the next mission area without letting you explore it. Heh.

Overall, without the excellent atmosphere, it would be a merely average experience. Storyline was meh, gameplay was ok. My reaction would possibly be worse had I paid full price, but as is it is worth a play.

4. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I paid full price for it and not regretting it I have beaten it several times just haven't had much time to play it cause currently i'm hooked on another game and work has been busy but hopefully I will have time to play it on dx11 on max settings when I get my 470.How ever with my current set up I can play on dx10,high settings,AAA,4xAF,1360*768 res and during a heavy smoke scene in the soviet base when you get knocked into a room filled with smoke my fps will go down to 26 then the next part begins with out a issue and a split second fps drop to 29 on the start of the level after you speak with the consul.imo This is game is a game that you will either like you will hate but for me I love it.

5. Quicks

Quicks Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Metro : Played half way got bored have not bothered playing it again.
    Cryostasis : Played for 30min did not like it much.
    stalker : Played all 3 of them finish and for a second time. only reason I got cryostasis and metro was because I thought it will be like stalker but for some reason didn't really get into cryostasis and metro.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I agree with you there. With careful tweaking almost any game can look great, even not on the higher settings.

7. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Metro looked great on my machine, and i did not crank up the settings at all.
    Very atmospheric.
    BUT!
    Gunplay is horrible, no real feel of the fight (vs monsters at least).
    AI is horrific.
    Plot is weird at best, nonsensical at worst.
    Played it through because I was sick with a stomach flu, did not enjoy myself at all.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    personally i think it has got THE worst AI in any game in years. im usually not really picky about this, but when you see monsters running into eachother, turning like robots, things get really obvious.
    graphics alone does not make the heart beat of any game.

9. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    Oh yeah, the turntable spinning rats.
    I loved those.
    Run into walls for 3 seconds. Turn 180 degrees ( on a pivot apparently ).
    Run run run into my shotgun ( which has no effect if I shoot at its ass or head btw).
    Rinse and repeat.
    Funny as hell first 25 times.
    Oh, and why only 4 different enemy types?
    I wont spoil it by counting them, but there are only 4 types?
    I aint including the "demons" (flying things) cause you dont really fight them.

10. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    story doesn't flow or make sense.

poor game

11. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    How is it compared to singularity.

12. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    from what I saw in giantbomb.com quick view, singularity at least far better flow and dynamics.
    Lesser graphics (metro is gorgeous) but it SEEMS like a much more fun game

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It ran like crap on my rig because it's waaay too heavy on the GPU, should not be a problem for you though and as far as I can tell people are quite satisfied with it so ... might worth a try.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Runs maxed out except for enhanced DOF in DX11 on 1680x1050, GPU oced to 800/1600 (core/shaders), min fps 30 during combat, lowest ever was about 26 in non combat scenes where they're obviously just showing off large city views.

Back when I had my 8800GTX, my fps was pretty much the same on DX9, very high, 1024x640.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It seems that all Ukrainian games have got bad ai, especially stalker, it would be different everytime and they come out of nowhere...

The game does look graphically gorgeous though, will pick it up soon tro try.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Quote : Metro 2033 - Worth Getting?

Short and sweet... NO!

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    For me metro was better

Graphics,atmosphere,gameplay...

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Actually no, stalker's AI is more advanced then alot of other AI's but the downside is that with it's added complexity, there's also a bigger chance of being buggy. Though you need to play the game on master difficulty for the AI to really shine. On lower difficulties they're not as agressive, especially when they try to surround you.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, i'd say the ai in stalker was more buggy than bad...

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Stalker SOC was kinda buggy but i still claim overall its better game than metro...