Metro 2033 - Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kanej2007, Jul 25, 2010.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I really wanna try this game out but what puts me off is that many people have said it's bad and it puts me off.

In several sites, I have seen comments like crap story, graphics are not all that, performance issues, very dark.

What are your opinions of the game gurus, whether it be good or bad and why...

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'd say... the story is actually really solid. Nothing ground breaking, but it's very well done and keeps you interested.
    Visually, the game is gorgeous. The outdoor areas do look a bit drab, but the metro system looks amazing. And the game looks oh so great on even medium settings, so... performance issues are not a problem.

They are only an issue for people to stubborn to turn down the settings a notch.

Overall I'd say it's a very solid and enjoyable game, I had a lot of fun with it and plan on replaying it once I get my new PC built.
    I would say if you can find the game for about 20 to 30 bucks... it's worth it. But, I wouldn't pay 50 for it.

3. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Although I own it, I still can't get my hands on it) Done countless benching\testing, but never did a proper playthrough. The definite good part about it is that graphics are superior. Since you have GTX480, you'll get most of it without any performance troubles. This title's DX11 tech is definitely worth checking out to get your own experience instead of reviews. What's for the storyline - well, it's not as superior as graphics, but it's better than Stalker's, that's for sure. And despite some lack of common sense, cutscenes look great. Gameplay's fine. Just fine.
    I'd suggest you wait for a good deal for it on steam and grab it.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Hmmm. What is the game actually about? Is it easy in the fact that you know what to do/where to go?

Do you do missions or follow a map compass or how do you know what to do and know if your proceeding or not.

Can you compare it with any other game, story wise or the way it's played...

5. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    no its not worth it.

i own it and have beaten it.

TBH its just really poor after the first few hours the things your expecting to happen just dont happen, its a tech demo. the story is good for a while then it will drop you out at the end of the game in no mans land like a rushed film.

seriously if there was a demo thats all you would need.

i recently tried again on harder game mode but i was reminded of how somber and down beat the whole thing is, no style at all, not like a valve, or Bethesda Game Studios affair.

my opinion

6. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    One of the best games I've played in the last few years. Awesome graphics (obviously), unique mechanics in the sense that you need to maintain torch brightness, keep your oxygen fresh etc. Also the gas pump bb gun is good fun.

I'm on my second play through now and I'm not bored so yeah, I'm a fan of this game. The linearity of the game might turn some people off however I think linearity has given the designers the opportunity to make unique gameplay areas and well thought out level design. At the moment in NZ the game is selling for about $20 which is cheap, that is about $15 USD. Starcraft 2 is starting retail at $129 just as a comparison.

7. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    It's an average shooter with excellent graphics.

8. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    It does look amazing, but i personaly couldnt get that into the storey, was good for a couple of hours and then got over it. but to each there own, you may love the game like many others. if you really want just wait for it to drop in price then the buy wont feel so bad

9. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Don't do it man, you'll break down that beautiful new card...

Even if metro is the best looking game around, it is clearly not optimised well, I mean 30 frames on a 480 with physx off DOF off and AAA ( aka no MSAA ) that's just piss poor.

I swear on my life i'll never buy another crysis like game again. At least not until my PC can run it well. If a game runs at around 60 frame with some settings turned down, and you can turn them up down the track, then i'd be content, but 30 frames with all the features we bought these expensive cards for turned off...is just not cool.

Like crysis it seems it was optimised from the top down rather than the bottom up.

eg. In crysis even when playing the game on all low.....( just to see if you can get 60 frames constant ) it would still have random frame rate drops down to 45 etc....and @ low it looks worse than the worst games I own....that's what sort of 'only optimised for the best' sort of B.S you'd be dealing with.

10. pmt411

pmt411 Active Member

GPU:
    Twin SC Evga Titans
    I think it is a lousy game and am sorry I bought it. A game like Left4dead2 is a shooter, this thing is pure junk as far as game play goes. Graphics are decent, but the game play sucks

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I guess I gotta try it for myself then, it's a love it or hate it game...

So far from my experience, games made in say Russia/Ukraine are bad in the sense that they are all very similar, graphic wise/old rusty look.

I have tried Cryostasis & stalker and they just seem strange.

It's really dull, looks ancient and all had major bugs and performance issues...

How does metro perform? Can say a GTX 470/480 or Ati 5870 or 5970 run it well or is it unplayable?

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    As I just mentioned above I just ran Cryostasis, graphics are nothing special and it's running constantly around 20-25 fps, didn't try fraps but it was way laggy, far worse than Crysis...

13. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    It runs well for me on high and i think its a good game, nothing amazing but has a nice atmsphere about it and a few nice mechanics.

I think it looks an runs pretty well, but then people will allways complain.

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    it's a damn great game, the story is awesome, the graphics range from excellent to average depending on where you are but mostly its high quality, the animations of the monsters are superb.

your rig should handle it nicely, the game shines on high end cards especially with dx11 enabled.

the game is a bit of an acquired taste, some will tell you it's an epic game, some will bash it.

personally i highly recommend Metro 2033.

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    As I thought, mixed opinions, I guess I will give it a try before I say anything...

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    You will not be disappointed for trying it.:D

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    if it's on sale otherwise no for me. didnt grab me although graphics are great.

p,s i do own it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    While I do enjoy the game and think it's worth while, as I said above... I do NOT think it's worth 50 bucks. I'd wait for a sale on STEAM or THQ's site. Or see if you can find a cheap retail copy.

It's a good game, just no 50 dollars good.

20. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Awesome game. Too short to pay $50 for however.