Memory timings unchangable

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Mod Enerjen, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    I recently bought some OCZ EB PC4000 Platinum (DDR500) and installed the new RAM into my system. I riskily tried to run it at its rated speed (3-3-2-8 250 MHz FSB 1:1) and the computer would not boot up (black screen). I lowered the frequency to 200 and it POSTed. Upon checking the SPD settings in Windows with both Sandra and CPU-Z 1.30 I found that the memory was surprisingly running at 2.5-3-3-6, the exact same timings I was running my old memory at!

I set my memory timings in the BIOS at 3-3-2-8 but it would disobeyingly run at 2.5-3-3-6. I tried setting it to SPD (default 3-3-2-8) but still ran at 2.5-3-3-6. Then I tried changing the settings to 3-3-3-8 but it still ran at 2.5-3-3-6.

Finally, I re-flashed the BIOS, but it did not solve the problem. With those stubborn timings, I won't be able to overclock even a mere 210 MHz.

If anyone has encountered this problem, suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    Okay the problem is very serious. I switched back to my old Corsair TwinX1024 PC4400 RAM with hopes of using that to set my timings and switch back once the timings are fixed, but they were still stuck at 2-3-3-6.

3. Mod Enerjen

Mod Enerjen Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800
    Perhaps this is a rare hardware problem? I swapped my motherboard recently to a better albeit used one, and assumed that the memory would work the same and never tried other timings other than 2.5-3-3-6 until now. Sorry for bumping but I should've added the second post as an edit to the first. At least it's in a chronological order...

Last edited: May 1, 2006