1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory suggestions for i7 8700k

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by maikai, Jul 27, 2018.

1. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    As the title suggests I am looking for suggestions to go with a new i7 8700k build I’m putting together for a family member. I’m thinking more value oriented then pure performance, but not cheap either. The motherboard is going to be the
    GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS ULTRAGAMING WIFI-OP. Thanks in advance for the suggestions

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I would look at the boards QVL memory list to start then compare prices, but I'm sure there are others that will work that aren't on the list but your safe if it is you will know it's compatible and the XMP profile will work without having to manually adjust timings unless you want to mess with that. My 2 cents anyway ....

maikai likes this.
  3. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Yea I was just hoping someone with a good knowledge of memory and the i7 would help me out, that’s a huge list of model numbers to weed through and look up, was just hoping to simplify it. I know with Intel it’s much easier then AMD

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Since 2002, I've never come across any number of sticks or types of RAM that haven't worked with an Intel system I've had. Intel IMC (northbridges before that) seems to eat any kind of RAM, whereas AMD seems to be more picky. I certainly had some difficulty with the G.Skill RAM I got for my 2200G build earlier this year.

pimpernell and maikai like this.

5. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080FTWdt
    Almost anything from known brands works with intel these days.
    Look for 3200mhz+++, minimum 16gb and what you can afford. (I use 2666mhz ram i got very cheap before the prices went up. But it do show in benchmarks even if my cpu is delidded and runs 5ghz.) Save on rgb, that is completely useless on ram, you can buy a cheap strip that glow more for less money if you absolutely need it. (most new mb's got a rgb header).