Memory Speed locked at 4000 mhz when using multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mariano Silva, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Mariano Silva

Mariano Silva New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1070 m
    Hello Community,

I'm a fan of @Orbmu2k 's NVIDIA Inspector, and I was wondering if there's a newer version available than 1.9.7.8 ?

Also, a quick question: I'm using said software because:
    A) I have an Asus ROG GL702VSK Notebook with an Nvidia 1070 mobile GPU
    B) Plus 2 monitors plugged to it
    C) The RAM Speed is always locked at 4000 mhz, even If I'm doing NOTHING at all, no games, no nothing. This brings the temperature of the board to a whooping 66 Centigrade, which then starts to heat the CPU, and then starts the fans ... with the consequent noise that's so annoying.
    D) Ram Speed goes down to the "idle" state if I unplug the monitors
    E) With your software, forcing the P8 mode, solves the issue and brings it down to 400 mhz.
    F) The problem with this is that Windows becomes "Sluggish", especially with the 2 external monitors at high resolutions.

Why do the NVidia Drivers do this at all? Isn't there a way to fix this without using your "Multi Display Power Saver"?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres your answer as to why they do it.

3. Mariano Silva

Mariano Silva New Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1070 m
    Sounds like a very basic approach to solving a performance issue ... the GPU Memory should scale its speed up and down as needed. Setting it at "Full Throttle" seems like an easy way out to me. That's exactly what the driver does on a single monitor configuration.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    theres no perf table step between idle and low power 3d, perhaps this will change with ampere.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Try setting the displays to exactly the same refresh rate via CRU, there are limitations for dynamically clocking the VRAM when displays are not in sync.