Memory Overclocking...

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by the_jerboa_king, Sep 11, 2006.

1. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    I've just upgraded slightly, while waiting for the nForce 5 chipset for Intel, and my 3700+ overclocks a bit better than I was expecting and I can't seem to push my memory very far to keep up with it!

I've got Corsair XMS that runs fine at 200Mhz (DDR400) at 2-3-3-8, however I can't even get to 220 stable at 2.5-4-4-9! Also, if I try changing to CAS 3 it just won't boot at all?

any ideas as to other settings I can change? I really wanna get some more as I didn't want to spend to much on this minor upgrade...

I'm hoping to at least hit 250Mhz with this RAM coz with a divider I can hit 2.86Ghz on stock voltage :D (it would boot at 3Ghz, but wouldn't run Prime95)

2. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    probly not iv messed with ram heapz n if changing lat n voltage dosnt help nothing will usealy soz mate

3. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    hmm.. doesn't sounds good... I haven't tried changing the voltage on the RAM yet though, so that's probably worth a shot... how easy is it to fry RAM by increasing the voltage?

also, any ideas why it won't boot at CAS 3, even when it's running at 200Mhz??

4. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I think anything under 2.9V is OK, but that's approaching danger levels. I am sure adding another 0.05v wouldn't do any harm. On my motherboard, in the BIOS the text for the voltage changes to purple at 2.9V then above that is red to indicate that you could damage your RAM and possibly other things at those voltages.

5. the_jerboa_king

GPU:
    9600GT
    cool, I'll take a look at what it's running at tonight, won't have a chance to play around though, will have to do that tomorrow... I know if I move a jumper I can go up to something silly like 4V but there's no way I'm doing that!