Meltdown and Specter patch performance hit tested on Optane and VROC.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by nosirrahx, Jun 14, 2018.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Keep in mind that my testing very specifically targets Optane based storage configurations and will not be representative of storage in general.

The primary advantage of Optane is that it has very low latency resulting in very high 4KQ1T1 throughput, often 4 to 5 times better than NAND.

If you are running anything other than Optane for storage this thread is of little use.

This thread is also very out of date now, I may do some additional testing to bring it back up to date.

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    just as an update , it would appear that the 9900ks does indeed have more silicon fixes,
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-corei9-9900ks&num=1

toyo and nosirrahx like this.
  3. Alberto

Alberto New Member

GPU:
    3090 Strix oc
    This post is a bit old but I have a quick question.

I just bought as 905p 960GB.

I updated the firmware of the ssd and the performance hit is quite big.

Is it possible that Meltdown and Spectre are also present in the firmware of the Optane drive? Maybe the firmware was older than the patches.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    No, it is not possible. The vulnerability was in CPUs, and storage device firmware has nothing to do with that.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The thing with impact on cpu mitigation's is that the way its assessed is usually wrong so e.g. you see someone test a bunch of apps and games and come out with something like 1% for meltdown 3% for spectre etc.

But the reality is more like some types of workloads have no impact and some have a huge impact such as i/o operations.

Also what isnt properly assessed is what happens if your i/o doesn't slow down does it mean there is no impact? not necessarily, it maybe you can reach say 50k iops with no mitigation's at 5% cpu usage, but now the same i/o needs 25% cpu usage.

Also a % is a % of whatever the performance delay is in the first place so on a very fast cpu one might consider it acceptable, but when the cpu is already slow its going to be quite noticable. e.g. on my Laptop spectre mitigation's are quite noticeable just from doing things like opening explorer windows, notepad etc.

The 9900k refresh and newer cpu's also report themselves as not vulnerable to a few of the vulnerabilities, however testing has shown all that has happened is the mitigation's are enforced in the microcode now on all shipped models rather than an actual performance free fix been implemented. So essentially for those mitigation's they now have a baked in performance penalty that cannot be turned off.

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    There is more to this situation. I also updated my 905P drives (both the ones in VROC and standalone drives) and saw literally no change in performance.

Make sure that you have your BIOS and drivers up to date as well.