media pc help

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by apintojr, Jun 8, 2006.

1. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080Ti
    need a little help. building a media pc with spare parts. now i have a ati 9550 256mb video card. now will it support a 26inch lcd hdtv tv. these are the specs of my media pc i'm building with all spare parts.

thermaltake tenor case
    thermaltake 420 psu
    asus p4s8x-x motherboard
    intel 2.4 mhz 533fsb
    768 mb ram PC2100
    160 ide harddrive
    hp dvd burner w/lightscribe
    sound blaster xfi-platinum
    ati hdtv wonder tv/tuner card
    ati 9550 256mb (not sure the brand)
    window media center OS

2. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080Ti
    WOW. am i the only one to have built a media pc here?

3. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    unless you have hdtv out i dont think you will with the svideo\rca cable as its only 480i I think. BUT, if youre tv has hdmi, they make a dvi to hdmi cable that would work. There may be other cables out there but me no know, as me has hdmi.

4. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    You can hook up your HTPC via VGA. This is assuming your LCD TV has a VGA port. My 27" Westinghouse has both VGA and DVI (which also suports HDCP :p).

You run your HDTV in its native resolution. A common Native Res for LCD TVs is 1366x768. However it could also be 1280x720.

BTW it does not matter what size the tv is. It's more like, do you got the right inputs on your LCD TV? In this case VGA. If your video card also has DVI, that's even better. Some LCDs got DVI ports, however you can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter if you only have a HDMI port.

A 9550 class card normaly would not have DVI, but I did see relatively cheap 3rd party (Powered by ATI) Radeons have DVI.

5. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080Ti
    na, actually i must have one of the few that came with a vga and dvi output. yeah the tv has hdmi so i guess get a good dvi to hdmi and i should be set?