Meat company pays $11m in ransom to resolve cyber-attack

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alanm, Jun 10, 2021.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    The world's largest meat processing company has paid the equivalent of $11m (£7.8m) in ransom to put an end to a major cyber-attack.

Computer networks at JBS were hacked last week, temporarily shutting down some operations in Australia, Canada and the US.

The payment was reportedly made using Bitcoin after plants had come back online.

JBS says it was necessary to pay to protect customers...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57423008

Cryptocurrencies are the scourge of the earth. Facilitates crimes that perpetrators can get away with. With every crime that results in massive payouts, it inspires other criminals to do the same and more.

Doesnt stop there. Terrorism is financed by it, drug sales, money laundering, kidnappers demand payment with it, the list goes on.

Can it go on like this or will the world continue with business as usual with crypto for the foreseeable future?

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Out of respect for HH, I'm not even gonna touch this. Because I have a lot of opinions about this and it all leads back to politics. PM me if you want and I'll be glad to talk about it.

Brasky likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    same as above, it just irks me to digest this meaty news. disgusted, to say so.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Valken likes this.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Neo Cyrus likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Anyone who feels their opinions are unsuitable for this forum discussion, no need to offer them, thank you. :)

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I might get raped by Kate Upton this very afternoon, and then I'll open such thread.

Until then let us all freak out because some pocket change has been liberated from the World's Biggest Butcher and a Convicted Criminal

[​IMG]

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I can see the how the thread title can mislead from the greater point, which is crime in general linked to crypto payoffs.

from the OP:
    "Doesnt stop there. Terrorism is financed by it, drug sales, money laundering, kidnappers demand payment with it, the list goes on." That is the point, not so much what happened to some meat plant. ;)

9. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Let me tell you all whats really happening. The guys that are responsible for "COVID" are now going to start attacking food supply to starve us.
    WAKE UP.

10. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Just give it a rest

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    As much as I hate the GPU shortage due to this, ANY business including those you mentioned were funded, enabled and supported by real world dosh including those in the Banks.

Same can be said of food, Tulips - (looking at you Holland, sit down and shut up), arms, resources ahem oil... ahem... and etc...

Crypto is just another form of transactions. Don't like it, don't use it.

Go after Criminals instead. They will use Pokemon trading cards if they could.

12. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    While crypto may make the crime of extortion somewhat more straightforward, it's existence doesn't cause extortion. That crime is a choice someone has made. They are the problem.

The cure to that problem involves things like drones and JDAMs. Bright lights and loud noises.

Make it so...

Valken likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    How can you go after criminals if they are untraceable? Crypto makes them untraceable. Thats the whole point. Some of these crimes would not have occurred if not for this.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Sure, but then why put armed security guards at banks? Is it not to deter crime? Crypto encourages crime by enabling criminals to get away easier. No crypto is just as much a deterrent to certain crimes.

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Are you telling me that intelligence agencies cannot find a hideout or person outside of monetary digital or physical transactions?!

LOL! <Trump voice> Which third world undeveloped poo hole do you live in?! </Trump Voice>

They can track a bag of biscuits if they wanted to. Untraceable crypto is a red herring. They can track ANYTHING and not just the funds transfer. There are other elements in the communication chain you know!

Whether they have jurisdiction if those criminals are out of country or needs cooperation from another government entity is probably more of a question.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yes, ultimately with mis-steps negligble ciminals can be traced. But the more sophisticated ones who can shuffle around various types of privacy wallets, much harder to trace. Crypto is also increasingly being used in money laundering and drug trafficking. That is much harder to trace if no crime is suspected of being committed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Kaseya cyberattack: Hackers want $70 million for decryption

...The hackers behind a huge ransomware attack said late Sunday on their blog that they want $70 million (€59 million) in Bitcoin to publicly release what they are calling a "universal decryptor."

The firm Kaseya, which helps firms remotely manage their IT infrastructure, was hit Friday in an attack believed to have been carried out by Russian-linked cybercrime gang REvil. The attack infected hundreds of companies in at least 17 countries.

The group is best known for the recent attack on JBS meat processing. In that instance, REvil was able to extort $11 million from the firm in a ransomware payment...

In Sweden, the grocery chain Coop said the vast majority of its 800 stores were closed on Sunday for a second day because their cash register software supplier was down. A pharmacy chain, a gas station chain, the state railway and the public broadcaster SVT were also compromised.

In Germany, the news agency dpa reported that an unnamed IT services company believed several thousand of its customers were hit by this ransomware attack. Two big Dutch IT firms, VelzArt and Hoppenbrouwer Techniek, also reported problems.

https://www.dw.com/en/kaseya-cyberattack-hackers-want-70-million-for-decryption/a-58158481

18. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I wouldn't be surprised if these hacker groups were supported directly by the master corruptor himself, Tsar Putin. These attacks could be just test projects until they start full out cybernetic war against western countries.

19. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

I'm always skeptical of "cyber attacks". Easiest way to lie about internal theft or other shady dealings and write it off to insurance.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC