MDPS (multi-display power saver) inquiry (steam/steamlink)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by klepp0906, May 15, 2018.

1. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Ok, heres my issue. Since MDPS has been around a long time apparently, and I'm just now realizing A) it exists and B) i need it.. I figured my best chance of sorting this out lay here.

I have it set up with most of the executables I need it for (using the gpu usage option causes a bunch of lag so it was this way or the highway).

Im trying to get steam to work with it however I have steam set to run at startup. MDPS picks this up as running and boosts my darn clocks. I want it to just boost them when I run big picture mode and not when Steam is running in my tray.

Is that possible?

2. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member

GPU:
    Whatever i want to
    i think is not possible since big picture and steam is the same app, but do you have any performance issue with big picture mode at p8 clocks?

3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Out of interest what do you mean by lag? In what way?

4. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    no performance issue once the clocks are where theyre supposed to be.

the lag i speak of is upon opening anything 3d. If you have it set at a usage level then asthe gpu renders and it ramps up, the clocks go up and the lag stops. This takes longer than setting the exe which sees the exe and ramps up before the image is even on the screen so there is no lag.

The lag i speak of is your basic cookie cutter video lag. Very low fps and pegged gpu usage due to clocks being in a rest state.

Only lasts a few seconds at most but its un ideal as you can imagine.

So far its the lesser of the two evils i guess so I have to deal with it. Was just hoping a means existed to distinguish between steam and big picture.

Thus is life of a multi gpu multi display user I suppose.

I considered going back to 1 display and an accessory display which I figure would be a little less problematic but the SLI requiring exclusive fullscreen issue - and the releasing the mouse/using an accessory monitor in the first place when in exclusive fullscreen issue would still be present >< (yea 10-15 years later this still hasnt been addressed. Is SLI really THAT niche?)

Plus going from 3 27" in portrait to 1 27" in landscape looked so small to me Im not sure I could adjust.

#firstworldproblems