MB not detecting new GPU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Parasite21, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    So I have Asrock B75 Pro3-M motherboard with a Intel i5 2500k and 12GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM. I have been using a Powercolor Radeon HD 6850 for the last 5 years and it has worked fine in my 16x PCI-E slot and still works fine.

I just got a used Gigabyte Geforce 960 GTX 2GB and the motherboard won't detect the card in the 16x PCI-E slot as in I get a no signal on both DVI and HDMI outputs but I it works fine in the other PCI-E slot on the board but the problem with that is that it is only x4 2.0 so it is limiting me. I have tried disconnecting everything and resetting the CMOS but no luck.

Before you ask yes the 6 pin power connector is connected and it works fine in the other slot and the MB shows it in the BIOS. But if I try to use the x16 slot I need to connect to the integrated GPU to get anything on the screen and the bios says there is nothing connected to the x16 slot.

The BIOS is also on the newest update.

So any ideas?

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I think the card is probably bad, and that is why someone sold it. Sorry.

3. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    Yeah I have thought of that but I've never encountered a card that works in a x4 slot and not in a x16 slot and I live in a really small country and got the guys phonenumber and home address so..

And except for this it works fine in games, audio passthrough and movie watching..

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    MB bios is the latest or the GPU bios?

Double check both.

Unless you can test it in another PC you can assume it's faulty if your previous card works in 16x slot.

5. Whats odd is that it works in x4 slot, which makes me think its either a MB or CPU issue. Is there an option to manually set the PCI-E rating..ie: x4, x8, x16? If it was a MB issue with the first PCI-E x16, its strange that its just happened now, as you mention your 6850 has been working fine in the same slot.

I guess make sure the card is properly seated and that there is no conflicts with the onboard graphics. You havent removed and reseated your CPU by any chance have you?

6. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    No I haven't reseated the CPU but that is the last thing i'll try. I have no way of fully disabling the onboard GPU nor can I manually set the PCI-E rating. But I have tried setting the PCI-E bus to 2.0 and I have tried reseating the GPU and tried the old card again and that still works no questions asked.

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    What apu are you using? Have you erased the amd drivers and installed the Nvidia drivers? Since your last card was 5 years old go to device manager and update all drivers, ie sata, cpu etc .

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  8. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    Well I have already done that and I can't even access the BIOS with the NVIDIA card so Windows drivers shouldn't have any effect on that.

Yeah it could be the mobo but I can select PCI-Express, which it is, as the main GPU but can't disable the onboard one.

9. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    And I have also tried to tape of the extra lanes on the card to see if they are faulty to try and force the x16 slot into x8 or x4 mode but that hasn't worked either.

10. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3070
    You don't have PCIE 3.0 - you're using a Sandy Bridge. It has to be supported by the CPU and the motherboard. So really, you're just going from 2.0 x16 to 2.0 x4.

I've seen some boards requiring BIOS updates to support 900 series and 1000 series, so you might check you BIOS. Versions 1.4 and 1.5 add support for newer GPUs.

I doubt you would notice much performance degradation by using the x4 slot anyway. It may be slower in some games, but only slightly. I think you can find plenty of reviews online pointing out <5%(usually closer to 0%) difference between PCIE 3.0 x8 and x16 with Titan x and 1080.

If a 1080 doesn't benefit from PCIE 3.0(from 2013), then don't think using 2.0 x4 is going to hinder a 960.

11. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Try it in a newer PC.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm assuming you have two 6gb memory sticks, try taking one out and see what happens.

14. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3070
    Take a look at this newer version of the same comparison using a GTX 1080 instead of a 680.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/24.html
    It shows a 13% loss from PCIE 2.0 x16 to x4 at 1920x1080 with the 1080.
    Your link show a 13% loss from PCIE 2.0 x16 to x4 at 1920x1200 with 680.
    I suspect you will see the something close to this - still much better than HD6850.
    Those result are worse than I thought for Nvidia. AMD shows only a 4% loss from PCIE 2.0 x16 to x4.
    It concludes:
    "PCI-Express 1.1 x16 still has sufficient bandwidth"(for the 1080)
    "Even in the slowest PCI-Express mode(gen 1.1 x4), the GTX 1080 isn't much slower than a GTX 1070 running at Gen 3.0 x16"

I do understand wanting it to run at x16. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you dropped in a 3770K and got PCIE 3.0. It's not optimal, but I think the x4 slot might do better than you think. Good luck.

I haven't heard of a 6GB module. I think that's 2's and 4's.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hmm, not sure why I thought there were 6gb sticks. Either way I still recommend taking out, and switching around the ram out of pure curiosity. I've had a similar problem in the past, and by doing so helped pinpoint the problem.

16. carnivore

carnivore Member

GPU:
    AMD HD7970
    You should test the card in another PC to make sure it works in PCIE2@16. Also try changing UEFI boot options to enable/disable legacy/CSM. Double check for new VBIOS.

17. Parasite21

Parasite21 Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX 768MB
    I have tried this, except for testing in another computer, and it did not work.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    ^ ^