MB graphics with GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Toddster, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Toddster

Toddster Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1G Black Ed.
    I have an Asus Z97-A MB and run 3 screens thru my asus gtx 1080.

If i use the onboard graphics card for 1 or 2 of the side screens and just have the 1080 running my main screen would that improve performance?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    We need more information..... What exactly is the usage scenario? What will be displayed on the 2 side screens? Etc....

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Toddster

Toddster Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1G Black Ed.
    Mostly just browsers and email type stuff on side screens, they are 24inch 1920 x 1080, the main screen which i game on is a 27inch 2560 x 1440. All 3 are plugged into the gtx 1080 at the moment. The onboard video has display port, hdmi and dvi, Thanks

4. 1248

1248 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2
    It really depends on what you're using that 1080 for. If your VRAM and GPU are getting maxed playing games, you might see a performance increase by plugging them into the IGPU and using its processing power instead. I would run a benchmark (like Superposition, TimeSpy, FireStrike etc.) with them plugged into your 1080 and record the results, then do the same with them plugged into the IGPU. Allow around 1-5% differences down to margin for error and see if it helps.

EDIT: One more thing to add, make sure that when they're plugged in and the benchmark is running you have your usual use case programs running on them like YouTube etc.

5. Toddster

Toddster Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850 1G Black Ed.
    So ran my 2 side monitors thru the IGPU and after 4 or 5 benchmarks in Unigine Heaven(was already installed) I didn't really see any improvements.

Thanks for the advice but no free FPS in this setup for me.

6. 1248

1248 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2
    Bad luck man, although I suppose that is to be expected since the 1080 has 8 or 11GB of VRAM XD