Max Payne 3 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yesterday's v1.0.0.28 patch seems to have fixed the broken MSAA issue for me or at least the MSAA + FXAA conflict which resulted in 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High looking noticeably more jagged than 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High and inferior even to FXAA=Very High on its own.

As far as I can tell from testing one single player and one Arcade level it looks like FXAA + MSAA are working together or at least MSAA doesn't overide or disable FXAA any more. I have not test tested 4xMSAA on its ownthough. It may have been addressed as part of the 'white outline with MSAA enabled' fix.

I'd appreciate it though if others could test it just to prove that I'm not imagining it. Thanks.

2. Alski

Alski New Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX560 ti 448
    This game crashes on me too it has the same problem as deus ex hr you have to increase the gpu voltage to stop the crashes. I put the voltage on my 560 ti 448 to 1.038v this works for me:banana:. Please remember do this at your own risk i'm not responsible if you end up with a expensive paperweight:bang:.

3. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 GAMING X
    nvidia released max payne 3 tweak guide:
    http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/max-payne-3-tweak-guide/#1

pretty much sums it all, inc. SSAO vs HDAO, MSAA+FXAA combo uselessness, SGSSAA via nvinspector (+dx9 lod adjustment), smaa injector, commandlines, triple buffering w/ vsync and whatnot...
    lol kudos for their awareness to enthusiasts discussions and needs. I mean, big brother is obviously listening. hopefully that counts for more than just tweak guides though :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  4. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    I saw the guide today too, but already finished the game with great performance. GG, Rockstar and Nvidia.

They say ambient occlusion was "unavailable" in DX9, but SSAO is implemented by default and works fine.

In my experience, the game doesn't suffer from framerate halving issues related to vsync, so the section regarding triple buffering could be omitted or ignored.

Input lag what? This game is leagues ahead of Skyrim for example in responsiveness. Anyway if you want to reduce about input lag, consult pre-rendered frames, not triple buffering.

DX9 titles generally only perform worse on Vista and later operating systems, so I don't believe the graph showing DX10 outperforming DX9 is entirely accurate.

Looks like I didn't miss much playing it in DX9. The comparison screenshots look almost exactly the same for all DirectX versions.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Started playing this game maxed out,its pretty epic,i love the character and story,just like the old games but updated,great game!

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Forgot to mention post-patch but MSAA is back to working again, even with FXAA, since the v1.0.0.49 patch. I reported the issue with v1.0.0.28 and got a polite reply back from support thanking me and saying that they'd passed my info onto the developers. I never expected anything to come of it but to my surprise they actually fixed it. Great stuff although having broken it twice now I get nervous everytime I load the game up in case the new patch breaks MSAA again! "Don't do it, Rockstar!".

7. bioCor3

bioCor3 Active Member

GPU:
    Windforce 670GTX
    Now that it's patched and working properly I will buy it. Thanks for writing that it's like the old games character/story-wise as some reviews were a little negative. I loved Max Payne.

Just wondering if manual registry editing is still needed after the latest patch or they still haven't DERP fixed it DERP :p

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah its a good game,i will also go through this on a harder difficulty at a later date which is rare for me as even the very best games i only go through once as i get bored and dont see the point,but dropping enemies in max payne is very satisfying not to mention the dark gritty story,max is also a bit of an alcoholic this time around which only adds to his character i feel,i enjoy it anyhow.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I recommend having a few before and during a session of this, makes things rather interesting.

10. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    Hahaha. Agreed! x-D

11. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Member Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Wow, I didn't realize they finally fixed the MSAA. The game now looks much smoother overall. Using MSAA instead FXAA (which causes blur), the game just looks much better to me now. It feels like there has been a performance boost after these patches as well. It may just be a combination of this patch and the 306.02 drivers as well. I haven't done any benchmarking with this game so I can't be so sure.

12. chrishathaway

chrishathaway Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 @ 1105/1645
    Running pretty much frame locked with vsync at 55-60fps, all max settings inc max tessellation, no fxaa, 4 x msaa and luckily for me that is acheived as my 22" monitor is 1680x1050.

It is a pity that the game needs the V-Sync, so many games these days are virtually tear free without it, thankfully the GTX670 drivers are happy with v-sync on this title!

A few too many cut scenes hiding the loading, but otherwise its fun and if you get a chance to admire the detail and tessellation then it sure is purty!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012