Max Payne 3 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Here's the weird thing - on my system with the v301.42 drivers if I set 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High then the anti-aliasing looks noticeably poorer than if I set 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High. It's easy enough to see the differences on the Max Payne character and background on the main menu screen.

It seems that MSAA doesn't play nice in this game with FXAA and overrides it unlike in Battlefield 3 for example. As such I've now decided to play the game with 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High. I guess that is good news in a way as even on my setup I don't have enough VRAM for 8xMSAA @ 1920x1200 (the game says I need 4,300 MB when I have 'just' 4,096 MB available - that's 2 cards x 2 GB) and 4xMSAA + FXAA=None looks quite poor IMO, certainly not as good as should look (and as I said inferior to using just FXAA=Very High).

2. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Apparently, just like in BF3, the MSAA pixel resolve is done prior the post-process pass and the result IQ is less than optimal. It's faster, but ugly.

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I can install it fine, but my steam version won't even start. and i'm not the only one, judging by steam forums. apparently it works if you install a crack. gotta love DRM that punishes paying customers.

4. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Running very smooth here at 48 msaa and everything maxed at 1920* but like others have said msaa doesn't look that great so I might try one of the many fxaa options.

5. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Got it maxed out at like 100-180FPS it's bouncing around there with 670SLI but that is with MSAA turned off because it doesn't seem to do anything and requires 4GB of VRAM?

Like FFS I've only just bought these cards and I need more vram lol. It says I have 4GB of VRAM because it's in SLI but if I turn it to 8x my fps goes to like 30 because SLI is a mirror and doesn't combine the Vram... wish it did lol.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm on Chapter IV Part 1 (which fans of the original games will appreciate) and I'm really enjoying this game now. It's heavily scripted but awesomely cinematic and now I'm using FXAA on Very High only and have disabled MSAA the jaggies are no longer an eyesore. The graphics are actually very impressive, something I've grown to realise the further I get into the game. There's a commendable level of detail and almost everything is destructible. Animation is also vastly superior to the previous games and the slo-mo kills never get stale plus the kill-cam angles are cool. Very slick game really, shame about the install gaffs for the non-Steam version though.

I managed to find a NoDVD crack that allowed me to take some screenshots too though I've now reverted back to the original files. This crack allows the use of FRAPS and Afterburner in the retail disc version which otherwise don't work. The framerate counter seems borked though in Afterburner as I was seeing 120 fps in the FMV cutscenes and 190-220 fps in the game when it was obvious it was running at 60 fps as v-sync was enabled and there was no tearing at all. Weird bug though.

I was actually able to take some screenshots showing how MSAA is broken when FXAA is enabled.

This is 0xMSAA + FXAA=Very High (1920x1200 original size, downsampled to 1600x1000):

[​IMG]

This is 4xMSAA + FXAA=None:

[​IMG]

This is 4xMSAA + FXAA=Very High:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the downsampling has made the jaggies less obvious but you can see the aliasing on Max Payne and the sofa in the pictures with 4xMSAA applied. The one with only FXAA has much better anti-aliasing. It seems like MSAA is broken or less effective than it should be in this game and my advice would be to just use FXAA=Very High and forgo MSAA altogether. It is better than 4xMSAA anyway and has a much lower performance hit.

7. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I've now got 220FPS maxed out with MSAA turned off...

I don't think MSAA is worth it.

8. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Aww man Darren :( don't tell me that

Personally FXAA I can see the blurring compared to MSAA and without MSAA working I can't go between the 2 to check if its obvious or not in this game. EDIT The only way to explain what I see is the screen looks like it has dust on it and there's sunlight hitting it... If any of you guys have seen what that looks like, makes the screen look less bright/washed out aswell.

And to clarify V-sync IS or ISN'T working? and is that in-game and NVCP?

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If you mean the 200 fps in my screenshots then, yes, in-game v-sync *is* working, it's just that MSI Afterburner isn't. I don't see a single screen tear, which I certainly would if the game was running at 200 fps without v-sync, and the framerate appears consistent (because it is actually capped at 60 fps due to the 60 Hz refresh rate of my display). Apparently, FRAPS shows the correct framerate. The v-sync option is enabled in-game, it is not forced through the control panel or D3DOverrider.

10. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    No wuckas, well im about 7 hours to go of a 12 hour shift before I get home, could you possibly check V-sync with the NVCP on and in-game off? and what the FPS reads?

EDIT Sorry man very perdantic when it comes to V-sync and if there's a possibilty of it not working and there's tearing.... So god help R*

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi, try to run the game in compatibility mode; select windows7 (no sp1).

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ snowdweller - I'm extremely sensitive to screen tearing so I can assure you that the ingame v-sync works exactly like it should and there is NO tearing with it enabled. There is no need to force it through the control panel game profile.

13. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Cool cool, after Dead Space 2 being capped @ 30fps without me knowing (thanks google) I decided to turn in-game off for all games just incase and let NVCP do the job at proper 60 and haven't had an issue (yet)

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I get error with 302.59 drivers

Faulting application name: MaxPayne3.exe, version: 1.0.0.17, time stamp: 0x4fc81bbe
    Faulting module name: nvwgf2um.dll, version: 8.17.13.259, time stamp: 0x4fa3d707
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000f9c27
    Faulting process id: 0xe5c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd40c64b83d017
    Faulting application path: F:\Gamez\Max Payne 3\MaxPayne3.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvwgf2um.dll
    Report Id: e6766868-acc0-11e1-9e04-001b212aa936

It happend in some more games, but specificly not in diablo3 which i played
    24/7 and it didn't happen once and alot other games , only 2 games it happend and it started since this driver i think. Is the Whql is better ? or anyone has this errors too ?

And no Nvidia 3D Stereo is not even installed

15. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Hey mate, this is for IE9 but it states to turn of hardware accelleration.. otherwise :(

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ondition/dfc29639-ba4e-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

EDIT: also saw Dragon Age 2 and BF3 had the same crashes. A driver sweeper install fixed it for both.

16. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I had problems with Sniper Elite V2 and Resident Evil 5 not working on 302.59, so did my girlfriend. They're just not very good imo. Everything is fine on 302.71 though.

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    DX11 and MSAA apparently provide better AA.
    (from what i've read anyway)

I don't know what you guys are seein, but from these pictures
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457378&page=105 (that one and the following Pages)
    The game looks amazing.

Sure there are a few aliased edges here and there. But it's a lot less than i've seen from a lot of games these days.

I think you can also combine MSAA and FXAA. As well you can probably downsample depending on your screen resolution/etc.
    You could always try forcing AA (like TrSSAA or SGSSAA) bitless, some games like Syndicate for example work with no bits. (even though SGSSAA works but causes issues. Trssaa works fine for it.)

ALSO: the textures in this game are very good...except a lot look marred by Texture compression/artifacts.

18. GrandMax

GrandMax Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
  19. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    It doesn't say anything about my crash :X

The file is D3D10 DLL Driver file.

nvwgf2um.dll

This is weird,,,,,,,

Everyone uses DX11 with HABO with Very High Tess ? With FSAA Very High + MSAA ? or without ?

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

that's buggy driver or could be unstable gpu Overclock.

edit: dont use that 302.59 developer driver, its highly beta.