Matrox Parhelia 128mb

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by orenda635, Oct 18, 2004.

1. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Somebody on another forum was asking about this card so I'm trying to get more info on it for him. I've never known anyone to run a Matrox card.

It looks decent. Has a 512bit core and 256bit memory. I couldn't find detailed specs on it such as CPU and Memory clocks. I heard they run hot.

How does this card Stack up against ATI and nVidia? Like say an X800 or Geforce 6800.

2. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    It's terrible, in doom3 for example it's out performed by a geforce 3.

It has good hardware, but the drivers are simply not very good for gaming, it gets totally destroyed by a x800/6800.

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    That's because it is NOT a gaming card. It is made for professionals used for rendering and advanced graphics work.

4. SirkoZ

SirkoZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB - Mmmm, SmoothVision :drool:
    Pish posh!

Elanzer, I hope you realise, that if Parhelia had at least some form of HSR (hidden surface removal), it would be at least as fast as GeForce4 Ti4600. However, as it hasn't - most of the pixel and much more texel fillrate goes to waste. Drivers have nothing to do with this. :rolleyes:

Anyhow - orenda635 - it has 4 pixel pipes, and with each one 4 texel pipes/shaders (SM 1.3 - like GeForce4 Ti), 4 vertex shaders (SM 2.0). This is one monster GPU, and with core clock around 220MHz, it has fillrate of 880 Mpixels and 3520 Mtexels. :eek:
    Memory bandwidth is around 18 GB/s.
    However - with no crossbar memory controller and no HSR (draw every part of every sceene, even the unseen objects), geometry power isn't used very well and much less pixel and shading power.

Oh well, Parhelia2 will sort this out, if it ever gets done.... :)

5. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Hence why it's terrible, it's good hardware but simply not proper for gaming. The drivers aren't the greatest either though, you can't say they're good for gaming. There's all sorts of IQ problems in games, that aren't related to lack of HSR.

One would figure if they can't even get the quality on par of ati/nvidia, they won't get the drivers as good as ati/nvidia. Even a GF2Ultra almost outperforms the Parhelia in doom3, and GF2 cards don't even have HSR.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  6. SirkoZ

SirkoZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, I have to agree, bad drivers too, but it didn't look that bad - driver-wise at the beginning, though not many games were reviewed...

As you said, Elanzer, it's a nice design put to waste, because of at least one architectural features needed for such fillrate monsters.

Though, tell me, would someone in their right mind buy a Parhelia just to view 2d on that many screens?
    Isn't QuadroNVS cheaper? :)

A real shame.... :(

7. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    512 bit core and 256 bit memory??? if this card can have hsr, and some things more, and good driver support, it would destroy any and nvidia┬┤s best cards!!!

8. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    Matrox are losers.... they charge lots of money for hardware that no one wants cause it has very limited uses. I'd like to see em put all thier effort into making a really good gaming card - then they might actually sell some cards :p

9. stefanovicho

stefanovicho Maha Guru

GPU:
    gf 6800GT / M8600GT
    haha

it will not even destory ti 4600 with good drivers believe me haha....

and look at those cards .... nothing classy even a geforce4 MX ( if you ask me one of the most ugly and bad card there is ) looks better haha and preforms nearly the same hahaha

but whatever they aren't really gaming cards anyway haha neither the geforce mx is hahaha :p

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  10. SirkoZ

SirkoZ Master Guru

GPU:
    hardy har har, stefanovicho. :rolleyes:

Have you tested the Parhelia and ever had a GF4 MX?

11. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    HEY! my gf is near to a mx440 and oced to the limit, I can pull out 100 fps from UT2003 at medium quality in botmatch. I know it hasnt got ps, only vs 1.1, but for me, a 13 year old kid it performs like a ferrari F1. that sufficient for me... bcoz with this hardware I dont have very much options and possibilities... but I like MY gf4 and MYcomp!!

12. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    Seeing how I used to work for Matrox, let's clear one thing up. They are not nor ever were gaming cards. It is just not a segment of the market Matrox are interested in. They absolutely rock for Video editing or CAD. Both things gaming cards don't do very well.