massive slow down in my p4 rig

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Invincible, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    here is the spec:

p4 2.4b 533fsb northwood
    asus p4xp-x 845 with latest bios
    512 mb ddr333
    seagate 40GB 7200 hd
    tnt2/fx5200/matrox 4mb pci
    a few different powers

here is the problem:

on a fresh start up, the pc is extremely slow, how slow? running super pi 1m, i get 14 second per loop!! but after a restart from windows, i get the normal speed back, super pi 1m with 3 seconds per loop. and 1:10 finish.

here is what has been tested:

it is not a virus issue, because i installed windows serveral time. and use Nod , the problem is always there.

it is not a driver issue AFAIK, since i ALWAYS use the lastest intel chipset drivers + mobo bios, problem is always there.

it is not a software issue, because i have tried different versions of xp, and win2k.

i think it is a hardware issue. but more important than fixing it, i would like to know what is the cause of it.

can anyone suggest anything? of show me a tool that i can use to diagnose this problem?

2. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

You could run a AIDA32 read/write memory benchmark. How hot is your processor at idle/load? Hard drive a noisy POS?

3. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    what will that tell me?

what is POS?

CPU is cool OK,I used 2 different CPU HS and fan and i think it is 40-ish

4. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    POS - peice of ****. your spec says you have a 1.9gb hdd, thats your problem.

5. perera

perera Active Member

GPU:
    x800gto 512mb 580/1200
    did u type ur hd capacity wrong? ur memory is nearly as big as him... if ur hd is that small it probably is the problem, but still check for non installed hardware, not way too fragmented archives and check if the pagefile is ok

6. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    dudes....

please read the first post.

the hd in my spec is a joke. and that is in my amdrig.

this is my P4 rig we talking about. and it is

================
    seagate 40GB 7200 hd
    ================

and as i said, system restart from windows fixes this problem everytime. but it means i have to start windows twice every time i want to use it properly.

7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    You might look at task manager to see how many processes are running at boot and how much system memory is being used then check it when you see the slow down occuring. also check the event log to see if something is going on there, does it slow down if your not running super PI?what is the size of your pagefile? have you or can you swap memory? does it seem your hard drive is accessing alot? hope this helps if I had more info I may beable to suggest other things...good luck

BigPipe

8. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    "You might look at task manager to see how many processes are running at boot and how much system memory is being used then check it when you see the slow down occuring."

slow down doesnt begin at any point after start up, it is just plain slow to start with. it is not a software issue AFAICS, because no start up program is altered after restart, et restart fixes it.

" also check the event log to see if something is going on there"
    where is event log?

"does it slow down if your not running super PI?"
    it is slow doesnt matter what i run or not run.

"what is the size of your pagefile? have you or can you swap memory? does it seem your hard drive is accessing alot?

i dont think these has anything to do with it, as again first start is no different to restart, yet restart fixes it every time.

9. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    what does AFAICS mean? ok I understand it better now, slow after first turn on fast after you reboot and remains fast after that ok. First the obvious your system is runing like two different computers from cold start to first reboot
    first check to make sure it's booting as a 3000+@2.2 watch the bios boot and then double check in windows control panel,system icon.
    Check the event viewer(event log), control panel, administrative tools event viewer, system to see if it has any different entiries from cold start and after reboot. Check your processes anyway it is just a few clicks of the mouse and while your there in task manager check memory usage your bound to find some difference if you look between cold start and first reboot some where on your computer. oya if that 2.2core is an over clock try it at norm settings if you haven't done that already...good luck and take a slow deep breath before starting.......BigPipe

10. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    AFAICS = as far as i can see.

it is not the AMD that is having problem, it is the p4 2.4, which is not overclocked.

i will check the event log.

11. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Aye mate p4 sorry

12. Demicore

Demicore Member

I have the exact same problem with an AMD Sempron (t-bred) processor. I still didn't find out how to fix it. At a fresh launch, everything is damn slow, but if I reboot, everything is okay. And it doesn't even matter when I reboot, even if I do it five seconds after I start my pc.

Oh well :rolleyes:

(my rig is a modest Sempron (t-bred) 2400+, 521mb noname ram, Radeon 9600pro 256mb, 40gb Maxtor HD, on a via km400-based msi mobo...)

13. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    i think i may have fixed it.

i dont know how, but i think it may be that i stopped use my built in VIA Lan, I have started using a usb wlan card, and havent had the problem back.

i can not be sure it is related, but i cant remeber doing anything else different

14. Demicore

Demicore Member

Hm interesting, I'm also using a via built-in ethernet card. Thanks for the info.