Massive Network Problem

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by ExoriaX, Jul 1, 2017.

1. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Hello everyone, my dad who works for Spectrum and I have been struggling with our home network. Our network path looks like this:
    Modem > Router > 4 Ethernet > 3 hubs and one straight to my computer

Before we did that, WiFi works after we turned on Modem and waited until it finishes its boot then we turn on the router. After we connect Ethernet to a computer, both works and then few minutes later the WiFi stopped working even though SSID is showing but unable to connect. It will show "Connecting" for few seconds then back to "Saved" and repeat. I went into the router's settings and everything looks good there. We have no idea what's happening.

We don't use Ethernet, WiFi works good but if we use Ethernet then WiFi is broken. We didn't have Ethernet for few days, WiFi was working perfectly. Then we start setting up Ethernet for some areas and boom all of the strange problem appeared.

All of the router we talked about is Netgear WNDR3700v4. We decided to replace the router to ASUS RT-AC68R which I already had as an access point. Of course I changed it back to router mode before setting up with the modem. The result is still same.

Can anyone help us?

Thank you,
    ExoriaX

2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    OP, if you use modem (cable modem?) + WiFi router combo you have to setup router to clone MAC adress provided by modem. If you don't do that only one IP adress is available "outside" the modem ie. router, that one provided by modem, first device who grabs that IP adress has the internet connection; second, third, fourth.... device: no internet access for those devices.

So, either:

1). enable clone MAC adress in WiFi router settings or
    2). ask ISP to change modem for all-in-one router with WiFi and done with it.

edit
    In most cases second option is always easier to setup and cheaper too, most ISP's are giving for free WiFi capable routers to their customers, just ask them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  3. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Hello, thank you for your reply.

My current modem is a cable modem. Both modem and router are separated. I see the Mac clone in WAN page. Is that the one?

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    who so many modem+router+4 Ethernet switch?+ 3 hubs? that is just to many thing there.

Modem+Router should be all you need your setup is needlessly complicated imo

what? i have 1 ip the one provided to the router via my modem and isp and have 20+ devices connect to the router 4 wired rest wireless and they all have connections, router provides connection to every device via internal ip, all devices share the same ISP IP though.

5. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    No no no, I think you misunderstood. We have Ethernet outlets that are pre-wired in the apartment complex so the ethernet/cable are located in the master bedroom's closet and that's where the modem and router are. There are four ethernet wires and each of them are to their own rooms, kitchen and living room. This is the set up we have:

Modem > Router >
    • Ethernet outlet (master bedroom) > hub > one computer and another device
    • Ethernet outlet (living room) > not used
    • Ethernet outlet (kitchen) > one computer directly connected (no hub)
    • Ethernet outlet (bedroom) > one computer and another device

I hope that clarify the confusion.

6. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    Update: I have tried a full reboot everything including modem, router, all devices except smartphones and computers. Two computers are now working normally they are connected via ethernet but one computer is not able to connect. Roku works with WiFi but all of the other devices including smartphones are not able to connect.

Update 2: All of the computers and devices that use ethernet are now working properly. WiFi is still broken although only one device (Roku) that is working but all other including smartphones and a laptop are still not able to connect to the WiFi.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    could feasable be something on the premises that dont that is interfering with wifi, and kill all wifi. my friend house cant use 2.4ghz on there property except in rare instance when it works even when does it insanely slow, but 5ghz works fine, this can happen with all wifi, I would start looking for something interfering with it.

You cant take LAN port 1 with 192.1.1.5 (ip) and split it to 2 different devices there will be IP conflict and only 1 will work, less there is SWITCH which will take Lan port 1 feed 192.1.1.5 and make internal IP 198.1.100.2 on that switch for everything attached to that switch

But adding switchs to router lan ports is add to things to look in to

8. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    I was thinking that something might be interfering my WiFi. I kept checking around but I couldn't find anything.

I am aware of IP conflict. There wasn't any IP conflict in my network. The network can't seem to automatically assign internal ip address to devices so they all were set to 168.254.x.x something like that. The ip address that was automatically assigned by themselves because they were unable to get the internal ip address from the router.

I think the main problem in my network is that the router is unable to assign internal ip address to all devices except my computer. Yeah all devices disconnected again except my computer of course. My computer is directly connected to Router while others are connected via hubs. I will do more test on it after I finish work.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    like said IF you have are "spliting" lan port 1 to two devices it not gona be able to assign IP to it, you can tryin manual assign IP to the device not connecting, but it even that might not work. Which is what ethernet switchs are for

I couldnt find anything at friends house that interfering with there 2.4ghz, but seeing I tried 3 diffrent router ( one that is my router and 2.4ghz works at my place) and all them had no 2.4ghz signal there so something is interfering with it this can happen on 5gh/2.4ghz. just cause you cant find something dont mean something isnt interfering with it either the interference can anything on your property it might not even be on your property which if it isn't probably not much you can do about it , Try different routers, if still happens something interfering with it if it works it your router.