Massive Leak: AMD RYZEN CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2016.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes, that's true. That doesn't change my point.

Inevitably both processors do the same thing - they "go beyond their stock speed" where power and thermals allow. It's really all just a scam IMO, because the CPUs are perfectly capable of reaching their turbo speeds but it's cheaper for the company to ship crappy heatsinks. Since the stock heatsink can keep up with the "stock speeds", it isn't false advertisement when the CPU has to run slower than its turbo speed.

To make matters more scummy, the CPU is advertised by its stock speed, not its turbo speed. So in most benchmarks you'll see a 3.4GHz CPU outperforming another one of similar specs when in reality it is running at 3.7GHz. The average benchmark doesn't last long enough to make thermals an issue, especially in controlled environments.

</rant>

No, they're not. Intel isn't either. Get too far beyond 3.5GHz and you're approaching dangerous territory. Intel and AMD can't rely on customers being intelligent enough to get an adequate PSU. They are not going to be held responsible for unstable systems because somebody decided to use a 4-pin CPU connector on a 4GHz 8-core.
    EDIT:
    To my understanding, with the exception of the FX-9000 series, there are no [desktop] CPUs out there that require an 8-pin CPU connector at stock speeds.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    If the learning algorithms are bad, how easy is it to update them if at all?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I got the impression it was automatic, where the CPU figures out the best way to get the most performance. Basically the worst case scenario would involve the CPU performing the way it normally would if it wasn't self-optimizing, but the learning algorithm allows it to tweak its resources to accommodate the processes as necessary. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the user has no control over this functionality.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    The name is clever if it does perform as well as we hope.

Risen from the ashes of bankruptcy.

The temp feature is already Incorporated in modern GPUs and will more than likely be turned off in bios anyway if overclocking.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Automatic, it's already done for all CPUs through OS-loaded microcode.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

STP has to match Intel offerings Match there multi thread too and I talkig current gen not 3 gens back, While costing less then Intel, or people that waited might not care.

Only way I would switch to AMD at this point is They offer same performance for alot less then Intel, which why when AMD actual was better they had alot more shares, They was faster and cost less.

IF it same old story they migth cost less but there performance is 3+ gen worse or then match intel but there same prices, I will stick with what I know and trust.

Really do hope AMD is about to release the magic rabbit lives up to the hype.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  7. JordanMihailov

JordanMihailov Member

GPU:
    Gtx 780
    I really don't care about the name if it is real competition to Intel in performance:)

8. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti xtreme
    I7-6900K did not fare well above 4.3 GHz, according to reviews only some are able hit 4.5.

Its likely possible that Zen could do same just because of its lower TDP (140w vs 95w).

We will know for sure after oc reviews are done, but this time it have very good chance.