Mass shooting at 'Madden' esports tournament reported in Jacksonville

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by gerardfraser, Aug 26, 2018.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The actual text of the 2nd Amendment....

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to ensure that the states could defend themselves. Seeing as how the states themselves no longer have dedicated militias, and the Supreme Court previously ruled against the wording of the 2nd Amendment itself, the Amendment no longer means what it was intended to. When the 2nd Amendment was ratified, it was not intended to give everyone the right to own a gun just because they felt like it. It's intent, as stated in the 2nd Amendment, was to give people the right to "keep and bear Arms" for the expressed purpose of maintaining a "well regulated militia". So, the 2nd Amendment is not applicable as it was originally written and ratified. The only part of the 2nd Amendment that people seem to comprehend is this:
    Even the US Supreme Court lacks the intellect to comprehend the first half...
    Contrary to the belief of even the US Supreme Court, there was never any intent for the 2nd Amendment to be "interpreted" any differently than it was written. It was written to be very specific, eliminating the need for interpretation, unlike most laws in the US which are intentionally written to be as vague as possible.

2. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
  3. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Christ my eyes almost bled at the site of that text ... lol *bold much* - too bad you can't sue dead people ... sue the dead guy's estate ... if he has one - is that even a thing? Can that even be done ... I am slightly kidding ... I love how everyone is a "survivor" in this country and then they sue ... Christ cry me a river omg. Maybe being a Marine Corps Infantry Veteran has made me a little "rough around the edges" but seriously? There are so many worse things in life comparatively that nobody ever gets any reciprocity or recourse for which isn't to say people shouldn't fight for restitution or be made whole but frankly this is just a slap in the face of that imo.

Hey far as guns are concerned - I believe it's too easy to get access to them in this country, I believe our own law enforcement is under-armed compared to the citizenry; not to say that we don't have our issues there. It's definitely too easy to become a police officer in the USA & so many are unionized. I digress... back to guns, it's too easy to get them, hell this guy had a history of mental illness I think I read somewhere obviously that didn't stop him from being licensed a fire-arm it's a f***in joke. Hell I realize there's a stark contrast from citizenry to military.

I was raised using fire-arms & taught to respect them but f**k if I tell you the Corps didn't joke around when they gave me my M16 for the first time and trained me how to use it "their way" (Granted that's boot you have SOI later on etc but you get the point). State-side s*it I practically just walk into a store and Joe-shmoe (I live in AZ) just grins and like that scene in Death Wish with Bruce Willis and that girl is all like "it's just that easy just sign this n this n your good to go hehehe" damn joke. No respect for weapon safety no understanding of what you're holding or how to use it. People think it's a toy. (yes I'm probably using some hyperbole but I'm using it to drive home a point)

No one sentence/paragraph/speech can satisfy the gun issue it's hard to quantify. I get that. I understand that criminals will always arm-up, no matter what - period. You want the same right. Fine. It's no excuse to at the very least enforce similar background checks to what I had to go through to be allowed to represent my country with a firearm as a Marine. Mental health, Criminal background, Interview w/th series of questions(Meps), etc crap something at least man.... I'm grasping at straws.. spitballing but it has to change. Granted you'll never have a perfect system but it's no reason to stop filtering people from abusing the 2nd amendment to murder. More checks and balances tied to the 2nd amendment don't violate it. Making murder a felony did not violate the pursuit of happiness. It protected it. Apply the same logic elsewhere. More gun-control prevents people from danger & aids in their pursuit of happiness - among other things.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow ... randomly shooting up a bunch of kids. The US needs to apply driving license like rules to guns and regular mental evaluations.

Netherwind, RealNC and K.S. like this.

5. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Yes, you can sue an estate, but they probably don't have any money.
    Why do people sue? Do you know how much money if costs to get shot in the US? With ambulance, ER, etc, he's looking at a 6 figure bill. Even if he has insurance, unless everything lined up perfectly with the right hospital, doctors, etc (things not considered when trying to save a life), his bill will be in the 5 figures because our medical insurance system in the US is broken as hell.

6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    No kidding, and we need Universal Health-Care (yes it's easier 'said than done')

Expressing sarcasm and a black sense of humor over text can be difficult still I do believe people over-sue in our country - and getting shot in the US varies - I used to work in the HealthCare system supporting the Dept of Veteran's Affairs - I don't know as much as some but I have somewhat of an understanding. You presume too much sir/ma'am.

EDIT: & It still doesn't change my viewpoint on the matter or my earlier comments. Nothing personal - it just is what it is.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  7. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Notice the comma's and proper English? It does not mean what you think it means.

Which means that none of the other amendments in the Bill of Rights no longer mean what they were intended to either. Fact, it either says what it says or it does not, you cannot make them say what you want them to say, regardless of what you think they say.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Sad times. My thoughts are with all affected.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Mass shootings will continue to happen until drastic steps are taken in gun control and mental health. I don't mean taking people's guns away. Instead, make gun owners liable for any crimes committed involving their guns, unless they're reported stolen. Ban the sale of guns to the mentally ill. Provide actual treatment for mental health problems. Most in-patient mental health centers start kicking people out after 7-10 days. Most mental health patients aren't even stabilized on their medication in that time frame. There is such a big stigma in the US surrounding mental health that it's ridiculous. Most people that need help, won't seek it out of fear of that stigma. Most who do, don't get proper treatment or get tormented for it. Now there's talk of getting rid of the "pre-existing condition clause" that prevents health insurance companies from refusing coverage or dropping coverage due to a pre-existing condition. If that happens, TENS OF MILLIONS of people (if not more) will lose health insurance.

More of that "conservative logic".... "it doesn't mean what it says, because that's different from what I want it to mean." Same reason we have mentally ill people running around shooting others.... Because "conservatives" think any type of gun control is bad. They prefer dead bodies. It was "conservatives" who decided it was unconstitutional to prohibit the sale of guns to the mentally ill....

I think what you actually meant to say is..
    Of course, why change the color of the text? Trying to hide something?

It's only common of "conservatives" to interpret things to say what they desire them to say.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Fact, I see proper English, but I fail to see a common sense.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    No politics, second warning.

Brasky likes this.
  12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB

Puts things in perspective how tight gun situation in the USA.