Mass Effect series, remake or remaster?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:28 AM.

?

Mass Effect remake or remaster

1. Complete remake with completely new assets using UE4

100.0%
  2. Complete remaster with improved and tweaked original assets using UE3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Complete remake with completely new assets using Frostbite 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Complete remaster with improved and tweaked original assets using Frostbite 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    It's inevitable that EA is going to do either a remake or a total remaster of the ME series, with hopefully a much better ending. The ME series was absolutely epic for the most part, and I have some very fond memories of playing those games, so I'm all in no matter what form they come in. But I'm curious to see what choice would be made if we had some say in the process.

Also if anyone is wondering what the difference is between a remake and a remaster, the former is a complete redesign of an older game with brand new assets built from the ground up (usually on a newer engine) for current platforms, while the latter tends to use the same or modestly improved original assets and preserves the game experience and overall look and feel of the original game, just on newer platforms.

Personally, I hope they do a complete remake and use UE4 rather than Frostbite 3. Bioware has historically had great difficulty with Frostbite 3, and UE4 is reportedly much easier to use so they could deliver the games faster and with less technical issues. The ME series on UE4 would be amazing!

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    MassEffect 4... Commander Shepard, continuation of story... not Frostbite Engine.

Andromeda didn't happen.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I doubt that this is going to happen in the following years. I have no idea how'd you get the impression that "it's inevitable", but I'd like to see your evidence. There are no indications that EA is even considering doing this, especially when the company isn't really known for remakes. Yes, they're doing the original Command and Conquer, but that's a 20+ year old game.

Furthermore, even if they were to do a remaster, why would they change the endings to 3? Yes, I agree that they're $hit, but why would they pour resources to it?

Also, who would do it? Bioware, minus all the people who worked on the original games? Bioware is making Dragon A(n̶t̶h̶e̶m̶)ge 4, so that's a no.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation of Commander Shepard's story, but it would have to be done very carefully. That's why I think Bioware should do the remake of the ME series first, so that they can iron out all the mistakes and inconsistencies of the original trilogy (and there's a whole bunch of them) and set the groundwork for brand new ME titles. They should target the current gen consoles for a remake of the trilogy, and save future ME titles for next gen.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    They mentioned other remasters of "fan favorites" than just Command and Conquer in their earnings call:

Source

Because that was a major sore point for the entire series, and also because they would make a ton of money. I think you underestimate the fanfare involved in a possible ME trilogy remake/remaster.

Although it seems they are leaning heavily towards remastering and not remaking. If they do the remake, I hope they do it proper like what The Coalition did when they remastered Gears of War, and used vastly improved assets over the original.

EA is one of the biggest publisher and developer of games in the World. They definitely have the resources to pull this off.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    This is like re-booting Spider-Man a mere 5 years later. I'm thinking no. Way too soon.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Why "or"? Remake AND remaster.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    This is the best time to do it from a financial point. Right at the end of the current gen cycle, when there are millions of PS4s and Xbox Ones in households across the planet.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Because they are distinctly different as I explained in my OP o_O Although to be honest, EA will very likely do a remaster rather than a complete remake. A remake for the entire series would be very expensive.

10. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Remaster only for the first game, if any. Both ME2 and ME3 hold up well enough to this day. But ME1 was using a very early build of the UE3 engine and didn't age well at all. However, for the whole trilogy I would simply do a complete remake, a re-imagining of the story.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I was not thinking about EA. I was thinking about fans.
    Actually, ME2 and ME3 with ALOT mods do not need remaster. ME1 with ALOT mod looks fantastic but the mechanics need remaster.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I will take a remaster with all the DLC of the first two games for either consoles with native 4k and full HDR support, and if they want to to throw the third into that single package i won't say no.

13. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    game-play wise, the first one has to be polished. it's aged compared to the second and third game.
    first game shooting\cover and movement is what im talking about.. it needs a refresh.

now the second and third game.. i would only touch stuff like bug fixes, sound glitches, improved shadows\lighting
    to a more modern theme.. but nothing too serious. i love to this day the ME2 graphics as it is.. maybe high res
    textures.

some DLC's had serious bugs, they gotta fix those. the Citadel needs to be better presented in terms of Alien
    population, conversations.

the final package should be all games, with all story* DLC's build in.. and.. take my money.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    This.
    Go back to using Unreal Engine. Bring back well written, likeable characters from the first three games.
    Continue Shepard's story.

And lets forget ME:A ever happened.