Mass Effect is not dead?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mbk1969, Dec 3, 2018.

1. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    the way i see it - the more skins\tones\options you put in a heavily narrative drama, the more dumb it's going to be in the end. those type of things fits well in the likes of Skyrim. why on earth they even bothered with diversity for the main class in a Mass Effect game ? make a default face, put in hard work and talented crew on the script. amateurs worked on Andromeda. childish amateurs. you always had diversity AROUND Shepard, that's the correct way.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Absolutely agree with that part... that said I have always done custom Shepard.. I like being able to make characters in rpg's, so with Andromeda of course it should have the option to create a custom character again... same with The Next Mass Effect name pending xD, it should have a custom character creator too, it makes the game fun.

It's like, you see the character interacting with the other characters and you are like ayyyyy that's my character... it adds a level of connection between you and the character, if that makes sense.

3. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    i find it to be less of a positive thing, much less. i don't relate my explanations to the fun of it, or if it's an rpg, or to my personal views.
    for me it's very simple -

in a heavily narrative based game the developing team needs to decide on a main character ( Shepard in ME ) and bring their vision alive. this is no different than examples like the Witcher 3, or Max Payne. the common thing is they are driven by a main story, and each game has it's own mechanics including being linear ( Max Payne ), semi-open ( ME ), and open ( Witcher 3 ). the common thing about all three - that all of them are heavy narrative games, with a main character. this is of course my own opinion and the way i see things.. that's the best explanation i can give. the further the narrative isn't important ( Skyrim for example ) the less i find it critical to the game.

that is also just one of the many reasons Andromeda was so idiotic. none of the characters, main or secondary were written in a good way. when everyone isn't interesting, the game was just like playing a mod of Skyrim in space.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Dragam1337 and KissSh0t like this.
  4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    The level of writing is probably the worst offender in Andromeda, especially since it¨s part of Mass Effect. The ridiculous leaps of logic in ME3 endings aside, ME was always written in a way that "decent" was the lowest level (as in: not excellent, not terrible). The rest was of a high standart, mostly in the case of the characters (the main plot of ME2 is a dumb popcorn summer movie, but one that does not infuriate with overt stupidity, yet it's the companions that made ME2 shine). Andromeda failed at this completely and consistently. Whether it was the protagonist, the companions, or the villain, the writing was uninspired at best (generic tropes, or trying to mimic the original games) and plain stupid at worst. Ryder was dumb, the companions were mostly forgettable or dumb, and the antagonist was trite (boring, stupid, predictable, and buffoonish, since they made him say all the grand things yet fail constantly). The dialogue was stupid as ell, where most of the characters came across as unbelievable or mentally unwell (the facial animations pre-patch didn't help either, but they were oddly fitting).

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Mass Effect images for no reason other than I'm looking at Mass Effect images out of boredom and thought I'd stick some here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dragam1337, mbk1969 and emperorsfist like this.
  6. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    yeah.. so to sum it all up :

i should go.

mbk1969 likes this.
  7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Do I sound like that?

mbk1969 likes this.
  8. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    alright.. so i saw this today and i wanted to post it here. seems relevant.

so we all know it's gonna be brighter, using more lightning in a modern way - im not saying it in a good or bad way, but this is something new to me
    and i think i can tell where this entire censorship thing is going..

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/m...2-and-me3-screenshot-comparison/1100-6487316/

take a look at the close-up screenshots. apparently they are going to use close-up shots to hide some curves, body shots, etc..

after i saw some screens, it does bother me.. in a way.

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I guess we'll see the full extent of the changes when the thing comes out. At the current asking price, I wouldn't bother with it anyway, as the original games still work on modern systems without issues (and have fan remaster mods that amp-up the visuals as well).

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    The ME1 comparison... after looking at it closely the original looks better to me, what the heck @__@

G*addict likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Imo the remaster of ME1 looks much better visually. But it's the gameplay and control changes im the most interested in - i cant play the original ME1 cause it feels so clunky and dated.

12. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Sorry to chip in, but is there a sensible guide how to tweak ME1 to the maximum WITHOUT using any mods? There are many on the web, but none looks 100% comprehensive. The best one I found is:
    https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/ME_1.html

Is there anything better?

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Possible Henry Cavill in a live action Mass Effect film... thoughts *holds microphone extremely close to everyone's face*

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is he not a big gamer? I'm sure he wouldn't mind being in The Witcher and Mass Effect.

At the time i wanted Joe Flanagan from Stargate Atlantis if any movie was going to be made.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    I am curious about the difficulty setting: they removed "Veteran" level from ME3 and "Hardcore" level is too much for my taste.
    Will legendary edition unify difficulty levels across all 3 parts?

16. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    well it's been a while ( years ) since i played a full-focused run on Mass Effect 1, so i can't say i remember the differences in the difficulty levels. but 2 & 3 i play a full run around once a year, so i can relate to that. i don't think the classes in 2 & 3 are well balanced on the highest difficulty, and that's the main issue here. some classes are OP as fu.. even on Insanity, while others can make a player sweat. the way i see it - Insanity should be rough for every class, even with improvements etc.. and than they can balance the other difficulty levels pretty easily. personally, i found a Soldier\Infiltrator Shepard to be the most interesting to play both story-wise ( i feel it fits ) and game-play wise it felt balanced. on other runs when i played a Biotic or a Vanguard it felt OP and uninspiring to me. i liked the charge at first, but in time it felt like an OP class.

on the other hand - if they leave it untouched, im also O.K with that :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If remaster version has one settings section for all 3 parts/games then they have to unify the difficulty levels across all 3 parts/games.

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It's not well balanced since it is mostly SP game. Insanity is quite simple on most characters if you build them right, the only issue is that you can die if you make a mistake because enemies do a lot of damage. I would have preferred if they added some armor/shields to them and added additional powers instead, but alas.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  20. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Game Director of Anthem. Considering the circumstances, that was kinda expected, wasn't it?