Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Origin Access is a paid monthly service. A real 'free trial' would have been a free demo accessible for and by everyone. It's not. It's on Origin Access. I myself don't have Origin Access because I didn't pay for that service, because I don't give a damn about it. Therefor I cannot give the game a 'free try' because it's not free.

I know, it's amazing when you actually think about how it's not really a free trial.

2. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I agree with most of what you've said.

However, from what I understand Origin Access does have a seven day "free" trial, it does require your card details but you can cancel/remove them pretty much immediately after signing up. A one off thing to be sure, but if you really want to try the game it gives you the option.

I miss the day when demos were the norm.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio

It's not that much on EA really. The owner of Bioware sold their company, made money, went bye bye for the most part. I would have done the same.

One of the original founder is now brewing beer in California, true story lol.

Bioware has a funny story, it' founded by a couple of friend freshly out of medschool lol. So you got those crazy over-educated dudes making games. When they left the boat for the most part, the heart and soul left with it.

On the Origin access, who would have thought 10 years ago, people would have paid to get the chance to play demos ? lol, hopefully there's more to origin access than that, quite happy with it so far i've to admit.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A lot of the staff who worked there have changed, not just the owners. When you look at the people behind ME1/2 a lot had been there for years, many since the company started. When EA got their hands on Bioware those people left the more EA became involved. I'm not just talking about the owners, I'm talking about the staff that made the games.

You only need to look at everything up to ME2 to see what I'm talking about. ME2 was more or less the last game launched by Bioware that wasn't heavily influenced by EA. It was mostly finished by the time the company was acquired.

EA have destroyed every studio they've ever bought. They're an outright cancer to the industry.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    wow, nice improvement indeed !

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Like No Man's Sky? *lenny face*

And good animations are ableist.

I watched PDP's vid and this bad boy cost $40 million to make? They're barely going to make a profit out of it, if at all. Never go full SJW. Or even a little actually.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If it's only $40 million then it explains all these problems... That's rather low budget for something like this in my opinion.
    Impressive how small change can make so much difference. But then again, those eyes are the biggest issue.

Someone on reddit did this comparison default vs. reduced makeup:
    [​IMG]
    I touched the eyes a bit and slightly de-fattened her face. I really wonder why they had to give her that clownish makeup. And yeah, the eyes are too bright, large and round.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Her skin looks so much better with less make up on.

I think darker lighting would've helped it immensely too. They could've just use a damaged power core or whatever excuse. The Normandy was very dimly lit in that comparison with Ashley v/s that space station where Ms. Tired Face bothers you.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    $40 million is very low budget these days, this will easily turn a problem with profit.
    The low budget suggests a lack of confidence in something, maybe it being a sci fi RPG.

Also agree about the clown makeup, no idea why they went with that.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    40 mil doesn't include marketing iirc. I'm just astonished that this is what is released after 5 years. They might just be cutting the losses and cashing out. No idea what happens to Mass Effect or this particular studio of BW.

11. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
  12. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Are you serious? 40 million is well beyond enough for development of AAA game these days (without marketing) and it definitely can't excuse the amateur work we see on every step in Andromeda. Witcher 3 did cost 35 million.

And btw, did you realize there is almost NO AMBIENT MUSIC? I wonder why nobody mentioned this. ME1 has such a great ambient music almost everywhere. Every planet and especially the iconic Normady music, which I miss the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIW9Dc-ZfnU

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-cost-81-million-to-make/

$81m.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Loving this game so far (about 7 hours gameplay) in spite of those stiff animations and those fake-looking cartoonish eyes. The game look gorgeous most of the time but I noticing some very rough edges such as the sand textures on Eos literally warping and changing as my character runs forward. This is on maxed Ultra settings by the way so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this or whether it's a game or driver bug? I've played a lot of Frostbite games and generally they don't suffer from this issue on maxed out settings.

16. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    yeah missing the ambient music too, but guys what really pisses ME off, is that atrocious mouselag i have, i play on ultra 1080p get about 70-80fps and have almost 0.5-1sec mousedelay, and yeah vsync is off ofc, are there any specific frostbite tweaks for that? weird enough BF1 didn't have this issue.

17. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hey spacebro! I bet you're missing some of those calibrations :p

19. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    True.

The rest went to marketing.

20. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    i bet but i can't find any of these Thanix cannons :D

no but really i even have over 200fps now @ low 720p and that mouselag really triggers me hard, even more than the wonky animations, i guess my time with Overwatch and Quake Live made me really sensitive again to that.