Mass Effect 2 @ 5k Resolution + 1x2ss

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Feb 12, 2017.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I just uploaded some 5k videos up on youtube, My First 5k uploads.

All recorded using Geforce Experience at the Highest bitrate possible, in-game resolution w/sound @ 60+fps.

As of now, only up to 4k is available.

Try not to view the video @ full screen, The Video smoothness drastically lessens.

These are just testing videos to see how it would look after I uploaded them because I will be working on a tribute video to this magnificent series.

There are 3 videos on this playlist:

Tali's Trail & Loyalty Cutscene @ 5k resolution + 1x2ss + Texture Mods.

Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI8Vx-sIpPA&t=371s&list=PLv7whYPHSlwTBJhqlAp7x65hR4FIJ-5lC&index=1

Video quality is not as good as what you see on the screen while playing of course but still great nonetheless.

I also added Fraps on the top left of the screen to show everyone the performance during the cutscene.

Hope you all like it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I saw a clip of ME2 where all characters including Sheppard died during suicide mission. I was in shock. But the fact that game allows such scenario is amazing.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I've played the game at native 4K with everything maxed and it plays pretty nicely on a 980Ti.

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

5. brkbeatjunkie

brkbeatjunkie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
    Is there a reason you went with supersampling instead of sparse grid supersampling? SGSSAA fools drivers into making card sample every pixel, for full scene AA, not just object edges. Highly recommended for mass effect: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    SGSSAA at 5K? Is there a GPU that can run that at playable frame rates? :p

7. brkbeatjunkie

brkbeatjunkie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
    I have no idea, that's why I was asking. I can do 8xSGSAA at 1080p/100hz on a Gtx 1080 ftw2...

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    How much FPS did you get? If we assume 60, then at 5K that should give you about 10FPS or so.

Would be interesting to see what the speed would be. I'm not motivated enough to go install Mass Effect right now just to try that out :p

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I like to pretend that's the cannon ending and that ME3 + ME:A never happened.

The game looks great in that video btw.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I like to pretend that Sheppard was hallucinating after entering the reaper ship. None of it happened.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's actually sad... The animations and acting is much, much better in ME2 than in ME:A. Heck, even eyes are better and body proportions are closer to reality.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's depressing in honesty.

The first two ME games were amazing, the second is one of my favourite games of all time. To witness such a decline, and hold in mind that ME2 came out in 2010 -- so seven years later and we're seeing aspects of ME:A which are substantially worse.

I don't know what's worse, the fact Bioware/EA allowed the travesty that is ME:A to happen, or the people that defend it.

I've heard that before, can't say I blame you.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Since I bought it I've been playing it but.... To put it this way: that game lacks soul completely. It's an utter borefest and there are so many things wrong. It doesn't rise any feelings in me other than boredom. I just keep wondering what the hell went wrong with ME:A.

Also let's face it. BioWare is dead. It was almost gone in ME3 and the studio that made ME:A is not the BioWare.

Also what's even worse: Just look how things were in 2003 (Freelancer example)... 14 years... Yet... (Made me realise how bad the directing, on top of acting & writing, is in ME:A.)

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

I am running 5k or 6k @ 1x2ss on the videos I Uploaded.

I tried running Sparsegrid, yes it does work but there is a major downfall:

First of all, When I enable SparseGrid through Nvidia Inspector, The aa does work but my performance is cut by half, even if both gpu's are being fully utilized.

Another interesting thing about sparsegrid in this game, I tried even doing single gpu and then sli, performance is identical while using Sparsegrid, not only that, I even had my pc shutdown on itself while in this configuration, was putting way to much load on the gpu, probably have to use different hex codes within inspector.

So since youtube supports 4k and 8k(30fps), I am starting to upload them @ 4k + 2x2ss(Hardware forced through inspector).

And both gpu's are working correctly, I even checked with or without sli, yes, both gpu's is working correctly, whereas sparsegrid does not.

And besides that, while recording through geforce experience @ maximum bitrate quality + ingame resolution, it seems the video playback quality records the best @ 4k, so this is why I used 2+2ss, anything higher in resolution, The recording playback, overall quality gets worse.

Also, When I increase over 5k while playing this game, I have to drop it to 1x2ss, I tried 2x1 ss, I think 1x2 has overall better IQ, just a tad.

For running on an old engine and the game(what 10 years old), still looking fantastic, even gives today's game run for its money, the game itself speaking.

Going to be playing 3 soon, finishing up 2. Excellent games.

I like some stuff in the 1st one better then 2, mainly some rpg elements were done better, overall combat mechanics, I like the 2nd one better.

Overall, both excellent games, both games gets over a 9 rating out of 10 easy.

Voice Acting is 10/10 easy. Easily the best for its time, and even now, stomps on today's games.

Look up FemShep voice Actor, Jennifer Hale, She has done TONS and TONS of work on games, cartoons, cgi stuff,etc.

Here's her work, if some of you don't know, it will blow your socks off:

http://www.imd b.com/name/nm0354937/

Something very interesting that I didn't know until recently, she even did
    the voice for Naomi Hunter(Metal Gear Solid).

Heres just a few:

MGS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhTIyZ3YY2k

&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-InBrdpLs

Commander Palmer(Halo 4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfNT_5Z5Pk

Working on more uploads, if you all want, check back later.

Here's the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb73Of1O_LE&index=1&list=PLv7whYPHSlwTBJhqlAp7x65hR4FIJ-5lC

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017