Mass Effect 1, SGSSAA and undesirable artifacts

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Asterra, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Asterra

Asterra New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Fixing to tackle the Mass Effect trilogy, or at least the ones on Steam. Found a number of threads pointing out that SGSSAA can be used if one manually changes the antialiasing compatibility bit to 0x080000C1, from its profile default of 0x00000045. Anyway, that's what I did:

Antialiasing compatibilty: 0x080000C1
    Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting: 2x [2x Multisampling]
    Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling: Disabled
    Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling

With these settings, what I noticed right away was that glows and depth of field blurs would give a vertical line artifact:

(I cannot post images yet, but it's on imgur as m7dRQkV.jpg.)

I eventually discovered that changing the antialiasing compatibility bit back to 0x00000045 caused the artifact to disappear.

What I don't know at this time is whether this happened because I missed something obvious or because it's just a drawback of using that particular compatibility setting -- one that has evidently gone essentially unnoticed.

mirh likes this.
  2. Asterra

Asterra New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB
    An update.

Although changing the compatibility bit back to 45 does eliminate the vertical line artifact, it also produces a different problem: Certain things in the game cause a massively overexposed blue-white glow that drowns out the entire scene. The moment these spots enter the camera's field of view, it's like a nuclear criticality event.

A thread in which one person shows what I'm talking about:

(I still can't post links) Reddit r/masseffect/comments/4lfl37/pc_weird_bluewhite_circle_on_screen_when_camera/

For now, it looks like I have to choose between distracting vertical lines on any glow, and these moments of complete visual obfuscation. (Or no transparency supersampling at all.) Unless of course someone has an idea how to get things working without either. For now, I'm going to assume it's just something that nobody ever really noticed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

I very strongly recommend using the one that's built already within nvidia inspector:

0x080100C5 <<~~ This One!!.

The one you mentioned, that is known to cause some glitches and such, for example, if you view your paragon/renegade meter, it ain't there, also, if you look into your game settings and view your resolution, that portion is also non-existent.

I very strongly recommend using that hex code you mentioned earlier for only mass effect 3, it works beautifully, as mass effect 1 or 2 hex code works like crap within mass effect 3, actually it doesn't even apply AA at all.

Some stuff like Viewing your mission journal, etc, some portion is gone but its the only aa hex code that I am aware of that works.

Here, take a look at my playlist:

Click here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb73Of1O_LE&list=PLv7whYPHSlwTBJhqlAp7x65hR4FIJ-5lC&index=1

These are my uploads, if you can, view them all.

4. Asterra

Asterra New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB
    As a matter of fact, I started using this just in the last hour. It is not the code set aside for ME1 (it specifies ME2 and ME3) but I had read in some forum that it was good to use in ME1 with 2x2SSAA. To my surprise, I seem to be maintaining 60fps in 2x2SSAA. At least on the Normandy. If it starts to drop, I'll be back where I started, trying to get SGSSAA to work.