Marvel Avengers PC AMD FSR.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mojoba, Jul 19, 2021.

1. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Has anyone tried this? The latest patch replaces Fidelity FX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) with AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution. I'm using a RX 6800. In the settings menu there is an option for Dynamic FSR only. There have been lots of reviews of this game comparing the image quality of Nvidia DLSS 2.1 Vs AMD FSR. And they all mention setting the quality mode of FSR to Quality or Ultra Quality. But I only have Dynamic or Off. What's going on here? Why don't I have any quality options? Is it a driver issue? Or is this setting only available with Nvidia cards? Or can you only choose a quality level if you have a 6800XT or a 6900?

The Dynamic FSR looks great by the way, so I'm not complaining. I installed the 4k texture pack and I set the FPS limit to 120fps. And playing on a 4k OLED HDMI 2.1 @ 120hz. Vsync on (TV does not support freesync). The game plays at a near constant 120 FPS with TAA on. The graphics look 4k quality to me and I can't see any obvious signs of the graphics dropping to a lower resolution during demanding scenes. But I wouldn't have minded trying the Quality or Ultra Quality options that others have available.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience of FSR and Marvel Avengers.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    It must be a thing. I suspect the game is using it's previous FidelityFX CAS upscale but now with a FSR pass. I'd uninstall and reinstall the game but i didn't install it until it had been patched to have FSR, and that's why i bought it. It's just a mystery to me why I have option of Dynamic FSR with an AMD card and looks like Nvidia users don't have a Dynamic FSR option but just performance, quality, ultra quality. So I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the game and particularly anyone with a rx 6000 series card.

3. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I'd probably better post in the Marvel Avengers PC steam discussion group as well.

4. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    What is your native monitor/screen resolution and what have you set in game, if it is anything below 1440p then those options might not be available.

Edit: I just saw that you are playing in 4K, then something is really odd.

5. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    I've entered settings for Marvel Avengers on a 1440p monitor and a 4k TV, and always the same two options under AMD FSR Off/Dynamic. I'm thinking Nvidia users can set a quality level but not dynamic and AMD Users can only choose Dynamic FSR. But anyway it looks great and runs at a constant 115 -120 FPS @120hz.

6. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    No do you not.

FSR works on all cards with no driver needed as long as u can launch the game. Even Nvidia &* Intel cards can run it.

7. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    FSR has presets in the game.

Also nvidia users can use FSR as well as Intel graphics users.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Release notes for 21.6.1 specifically state driver adds support for FSR.

9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2

11. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    So now you're trying to be clever, eh? :cool:

Anyways...yeah, I'd update the driver, if it isn't 21.6.1+. Also, could be a game bug...

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'm digressing, but it's not at all funny seeing peeps (I suspect RTX card owners) laying it in thick when they talk about DLSS vs FSR. I'd never FSR to beat DLSS in terms of image quality especially now that DLSS has moved above DLSS2.0 (to me, it's a given Hardware + software implementation trumps Software only implementation).

But, FSR does have pretty good image quality to us players as we don't stop a scene, zoom in 400% and pixel peep, as some reviewers have said, that's not what gamers do. But most importantly, it is hardware agnostic unlike DLSS, and can be enjoyed by both AMD GPU ownsers as well as Pascal and Maxwell card owners. I do recommend sticking to Ultra Quality or Quality, Balanced and Performance should be reserved to hardware that aren't able to handle the two higher presets. The hate I see in some forum (not here) for FSR borders on the maniacal is all I can say.:eek:

Undying, Krteq and AsiJu like this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    FWIW just bought Terminator Resistance and tried FSR in it (native 1080p).
    It does have settings for different levels.

Ultra Quality is very near native, only immediate difference is the sharpening to me.
    Looking closer you start seeing differences in e.g. distant edges but this is also partially due to sharpening, similar effect can be observed by enabling RIS with native res.

Granted, Terminator is graphically fairly simple and readily little blurry so hardly the best comparison case but personally happy with what I saw.

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'd gotten RE Village, but wanting so much to try Necromunda Hired Gun because FSR looks pretty damn close to DLSS/native. I'll wait a little longer since my plate is kinda full right now. I think FSR's weakest point is lower res upscaling, but as long as 1440P or 4K, image quality should be good.....enough. Godfall at FSR Quality preset at 4K looks pretty damn impressive to me, I don't pixel peep as I'm to busy running around hacking and slashing.

15. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Saw a video showing Necromunda looking better with FSR than with DLSS...

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Is there somewhere that has it at a good price?

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Shush now, don't let those mindless haters in the other forum hear you say that, they'd accuse you of being an AMD fanboy and that you must have bad eyesight.;) I've decided to not visit that thread anymore (after posting my last message there), I've never seen that level of toxicity in all my years here and in other usual forums I go to.

18. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Relax, not scared of being called something like that :cool: Blasted AMD more than once, anyways.
    Not sure which forum you meant...

FSR vs DLSS 2.2 comparison

19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Not referring to you, haven't really disagreed with anyone here for a while now, as most here are quite knowledgeable and even handed....more or less. The forum I was referring to is a totally different one from here, no mods with enough gumption and knowledge to stop spread of terrible misinformation and outright and malicious untruths.

Nice vid btw, only serves to prove my point (in the other unnamed forum) that when FSR is implemented well, it does look pretty good without pixel peeping, as all we gamers are concerned about is good (enough) image quality and great framerate uplift on AMD and GTX cards. But, let DF review this (especially that snotty Alex) and I'd lay good money that they'd be pretty negative about FSR here.

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I think you just quit after actual HQ comparisons started being shown by our own members,where dlss balanced looked better than fsr uq.Hard call to say it was toxicity.unfair for those who took time to prepare it and post it here to be called all kinds of slurs like mindless fanboys.I don't think amd themselves would claim they're at the same point with fsr as dlss 2.2+ so I don't know what you're trying to prove here.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021