1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel’s Spider-Man

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Gotta say, its been pretty hard to avoid spoilers for this title. If possible, I'd want to jump into the game knowing as little as possible about it. And I'd like to think I've been somewhat successful on that part, but....

I normally use this website that aggregates headlines and then provides the links to the articles; http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Technology/Gaming
    But I swear, there really is a lazy tendency from some websites, where they just outright make the headlines into a story spoiler.

But speaking of potential spoilers (I guess?). They've announced a prequel novel for the game, and I am strongly considering getting it at release on the 21th August.

Marvel's SPIDER-MAN: Hostile Takeover

Do you think if one were to read this book, it would be a detriment to the game - potentially spoil too much etc.?

2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980M|4GB GDDR5
    ok so on 5th it will automatically download on my PS4pro , so I am ready on the 7th for it. Also home office lol :D what a coincidence!!!

3. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Just remember, tomorrow the review embargo for the game is up. So on the 4th there will probably be just as many impressions of the game, as there will be spoilers... Personally, I think I'm gonna stay clear from mentions of the game for the rest of the week.

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980M|4GB GDDR5
    Nah I don't touch no reviews for games like this one…. will be judging for myself when I play the game :D ….and I know it's gonna be good !

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game is not out until Friday, 7th here in the UK but I'm hoping that I get it (physical disc copy from ShopTo.net) by Thursday. I got the superb Dragon Quest XI for my PS4 on Saturday, ahead of its official release tomorrow (4th).

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The game releases on Friday and that day is like Sunday where I live ... it delivers on Sunday instead. Boooo. Lemme know if it's good :p

7. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    Just might have to reconsider getting a PS4 - again...

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Early reviews seem to indicate ubisoftitis when it comes to side content in the open world. Kinda discouraging for me...

Main campaign is reviewing well at least.

9. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980M|4GB GDDR5
    I will never look at this game as a open word one. They maybe trying to sell it like this, but no, this is a single player story driven game, and should be played only for the main story.

It's how all great SONY first party games are basically. All were a success, and that is why I own a PS4 pro and not the Microsoft counterpart. Hardware without content, it's a "no go" for me. This is a PS4 exclusive title anyways.

Don't much care bout re-re-remasters. It's good to have but not a must for me.

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980M|4GB GDDR5
    here's the DF analysis! of course also related with the downgrading of the graphics from last year's E3 2017 demo :D

11. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Is this purely technical or does it contain spoiler-ish material?

12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980M|4GB GDDR5
    it's basically technical, but it has some spoiler-ish materials, not too many, but if you stayed away from all the content so far, I will skip this video.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Last couple of minutes are where they show the performance of both machines. Seems to do a good job holding 30fps on both.

14. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    I've stayed away from it all so far. But ye, I'll just follow the last bit from your sentence and keep doing that.

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I got my copy from the ever-reliable ShopTo.net (who also sent me Dragon Quest XI three days before its official release the week before) and after installing the Day One 4 GB patch (which took all of 2 minutes - oh, how I love my 400 Mbps fibre connection!), I eagerly loaded it up.

Alas, on starting the game I noticed graphical issues during the opening cutscene such as Spider-Man's head sliding slightly to the right of his body before snapping back into place (huh???). Uh-oh. Well, it turned out that the game was installed to my 4 TB external drive, which for some reason doesn't run PS4 games as transparently as they do on the Xbox One X, with many games suffering from audio skipping and stuttering FMVs. So I moved it onto the 2 TB internal drive, restarted the game and, thankfully, all the glitches were gone.

Anyway, I started playing the game and, before I knew it, five hours had passed. It's stupidly addictive and based on what I've played so far this is easily the best Spider-Man game I've played to date and time will tell if this bests Batman Arkham Asylum as the finest superhero game. I'm not going to say too much about the gameplay except to say that it is very familiar if you've played any previous Spider-Man games over the years. This one is so slickly presented and entertaining that I really didn't care about the lack of originality. What's here is what I want in a Spider-Man game; the thrills of swinging through the city, which just feels perfect and never gets dull, fast and exciting combat with lots of different moves (that is actually challenging on Normal difficulty) and the abundance of collectibles, skills and suit enhancements that make doing the side-missions worthwhile. This game does not disappoint; it really is a great game.

And it goes without saying that this is one stunning-looking game, up there with God of War and the Ratchet & Clank reboot (also from Insomniac), as the finest visuals this generation. It might only run at 30 fps but within a minute I'd completely forgotten about it as the framerate feels smooth and the controls are extremely responsive. It actually feels and plays like a 60 fps game IMO. I don't think I noticed a single framerate drop. There's a little pop in when swinging down the streets at high speed but Insomniac have done a fantastic game of keeping it to a minimum; you not going to notice it unless you actually look for it. Audio is also fantastic with a stellar voice cast, a movie-like musical score and spot-on sound-effects, including the whoshing you hear when swinging at speed.

If you have a PS4 then you owe it to yourself to buy this game (unless you absolutely hate superhero games).

17. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    sold

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  18. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    i enjoy reading your reviews Darren. This game looks fun but I don’t own a ps4. Only xbox one x :(

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^I do have a Pro and like GOW was ready to grab this, until they announced DLC outside the game, then i was out, i have one rule of thumb, if it's got season pass or DLC i don't touch it at launch, just grab it later either as a GOTY or on massive sale......... as a example of my rule, FM7, did not touch at launch, just bought it recently for £12, then bought the car pass on sale for £8.70, total price for what is almost the ulitimate edtion that is still selling for £80......for me, £21, but a big thank you to all who buy at launch. lol

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970 Mini, KD55XD800
    Hmm, I got spiderman, mad overpriced, not sure it's for me though, I got another week to complete it before the xenoblade 2 dlc comes out and i'll trade it in somewhere for an expansion pass card or some eshop money

No god of war quality for sure