marketing

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by chris, Jan 6, 2013.

1. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    Hi guys

I've got this old guy that works with me.Since I'm allways asked to sort the mechenes out at work

He would bring his pc and laptop to work if there is any promblem on it
    Normally really stupid stuff,like he changed the resolution and doesn't know how to get it back.

Since I sort of do repairs now and then,I was thinking if there would be a market for the older folks,lots of them just need help setting something up.

Just not shure how to market sutch a service

What do u guys think

2. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    Can you be more specific please? As in a computer repair/tutorial, shop/show for old folk!? There are various tutorials online and on YouTube. Even Windows itself has tool tips.

3. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    What I mean most of them just need a hand getting a modem installed.
    I want to offer an affordable service to these type of clients
    Just not sure how to market it

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You'll have to find out your country's age distribution first to find out how many senior citizens are there per 100 people. Then you'll have to take into account folks asking family members to fix their technology for them and then you might have to deal with a lot of people making payment a hassle.
    Don't waste your time with this venture. It's only worth your while if it is in large scale. If you want to take computer services seriously, concentrate on commercial entities as customers. If this is a part time thing, just put up flyers where ever prospects might be around and rely on word of mouth.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

This is a good idea^(flyers):thumbup:

The city you live in has a population of over 1.3 million...This could turn into a full time thing...Good Luck...:)

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I used to work in tech support don't miss the silly calls

I have turned my pc on and it is beeping........is there something on your keyboard.........oh yes

7. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    Most comercial is during the day,I have full time job,not really a option
    Plus you must have vast networking experiance on differant operating systems,including dos systems,I'm looking more for a after hours,weekend gig.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You dont need to cater for old folk imo, they just didnt grow up with this stuff like most of us yet they only need to be taught the same as you'd teach anyone else. Theres only so many ways you can explain how to right click, but teaching someone to know when/where is a bit different i suppose.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Right, you just want some sidework doing computer help. Simple enough, just put it up on the Classifieds section of local newspaper, toss a sign out in your yard and some flyers...just note that you do weekend's and after hours cause that alone might be very beneficial to many who also work normal hours.
    Let word of mouth take it's course, though be prepared to put up with some BS for little money.

Also, issue a policy and legal documentation for customers to sign before you walk in the door...it can save you, trust me there is some stupid BS that goes on out there.
    Example, what do you do if you fix a computer then later they blame you for something else that wasn't your fault or say what you did screwed up this and that...happens a lot.
    Main problem i always had was people calling me up asking this and that all the time after i did some work.

Of course it's also wise to have plenty of tools in your arsenal, both hardware and software....Multi Meter, spare PSU, cords, tools...etc to test for failures and repairs. Softwares on USB and CD for recovery, diagnostics and ya know. Don't forget a copy of Linux and get to know how to use it to fix OS issues and to recover data from drives..etc.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi