Mantle in January?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ASLayerAODsk, Jan 23, 2014.

?

Will we see Mantle in January?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Who's Mantle, and does she have a sister?

29 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    but but but, they promised!

If they do give it to the press 24hr in advance, I hope someone leaks them:wanker:

2. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver Staff Member

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Mantle Known Issues List

Last Updates: 1/29/2014

• Lower-than-expected performance on AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 and HD 8000 Series GPUs
    • Lower-than-expected performance on AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs
    • Multi-GPU support will be added to StarSwarm in a future application patch
    • Battlefield 4 Multi-GPU improvements will be made available in future updates
    • BattleField 4™ + AMD CrossFire stability and stuttering issues are still under investigation
    • Notebooks based on AMD Enduro or PowerXpress technologies are currently not supported
    • Portrait mode display configurations are currently not supported in Battlefield 4™
    • AMD Eyefinity technology is not currently supported in StarSwarm

3. Civrock

Civrock Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming
    Lower than expected Mantle performance or lower than it is currently pre-14.X?

4. BoobZ

BoobZ Active Member

GPU:
    XFX r9 290 DD
    "Mantle known issues" :)

5. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    I could cry everytime I see this. Especially laptops could benefit from Mantle...

6. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    key word : currently

7. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    I know. But now I have to wait even longer, I was so excited for Mantle this month and now I can't use it.

8. Civrock

Civrock Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming
    @CatalystMaker on Twitter a moment ago...

9. lagolas

lagolas Member

GPU:
    7950 vapor-x
    The wait continues.... Looks like 2nd of February more likely if there will be no hiccups

10. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    :bang:

11. Roadking01

Roadking01 Member

GPU:
    2 Sapphire TRI-x R9 290
    Update: AMD's Terry Makedon is "guessing it won't be ready today."

That's not what he said two days ago. How many times is AMD or any representative of AMD going to say "oh it will be ready on this particular date" and then change it up. This is just getting silly stop it already AMD you are just embarrassing your self.

Brought to you by AMD, the company that cries wolf every friggin day.

12. ACMPraetorian

ACMPraetorian Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    Hardly worth screaming about, they've found a bug in the code and have delayed the driver to fix said bug.

While that may not be that much of a consolation to you, You have to think, It has to be quite a severe bug that's forced AMD to delay the drivers.

Or would you rather AMD released the drivers anyway and the recently found bug POTENTIALLY doing something to your GPU physically?

I don't know about you, But I'd rather wait a couple days more for a driver that works as intended rather than downloading bug-ridden drivers and run the risk of damaging my hardware.

13. kayawish24

kayawish24 Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 8800 gtx
    Thanx AMD for not releasing it today :banana: first let me get my new Cards by tommarow :banana: :banana:

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    All of those who voted it won't be out in January, give yourselves a pat on the shoulder.

15. Sdar

Sdar Member

GPU:
    AMD 7950 boost
    :bonk:

I'll preffer to give amd a pat on the shoulder :knock:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

16. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
  17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

That's not the point. Of course I'd rather see working drivers released than buggy ones. The point is, AMD claimed up and down to have the drivers ready by a certain time frame, and didn't.

Valve Time and Blizzard's "soon", as silly as they may be, are actually far better than making strict deadlines and then not meeting them.

How about those movie trailers you see on TV. They give a day when it'll start airing in theaters, and it happens that day. Meanwhile, the movie is already done far in-advance, and already has had all the prep-work done to show in theaters. There's no "oh, we noticed a problem with a scene, and have to air the movie at a later date" bs (unless it's theater-specific I guess, but that's not the point here).

Simply put, don't give deadlines you can't meet... AMD should of either given a larger time-frame (I believe they said Q1 2014 at some point; if so, they should of stuck with that), or none at all until they were positive the drivers were up-to-par.

Could go on even further with that theater analogy and state "a certain theater is having problems, so we'll be delaying the showing of this movie everywhere until they're ready". Now it's possible I could be wrong (would really hope I am), but my understanding of this whole driver situation is that it's the Windows-version and/or Mantle (being Windows-exclusive currently) of the driver causing the holdup. Meanwhile, the Linux driver (probably being production-ready) is being held to have a simultaneous release with the unrelated Windows driver. I have no idea what is going on internally with AMD, but if that's true, that's also a load of bs.

I've held a stance not to buy anything Intel or NVIDIA-related (processors and GPUs of course) for a good while now, but if silly stuff like this keeps up, I might have to revoke said stance unfortunately... But I hope it doesn't lead to that :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Must be a major balls if they can't even be installed.

19. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    How is that? They are just the same. Same strict deadlines sometimes. Even with specific date.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Meh, I guess Valve Time was a bad example :p

Blizzard's "soon" is still pretty good though.