Mantle API Will be Supported by Crytek

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2014.

1. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Banned

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Are you for real or just trolling?

2. oOEvil1Oo

oOEvil1Oo Active Member

GPU:
    2x 770 MSI Lightning
    Funny how mantle is supposed to work, yet I know people with all AMD rigs and still hate life. 8320 with 7970 and have poor frame rates and poor scaling in BF4. Yet right next to that is a machine with a single 660 ti running smooth as silk. I am saying this not trying to troll but wondering why all the hype? I have yet to see any advantages this has over the NV cards?? I also get all the stories of how it will be a great thing because the new consoles running AMD, but what is that gonna do make it easier for developers to push us more crappy console ports?

3. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
  4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not usually a fan of face palm, but when a post is stupid why bother wasting time on a response.

Mantle still looks very promising to me, i don't see it having a long term future if DX12 will arrive in a few years, but until then nothing wrong with those with supported hardware having abit of free performance for the time being.

Who knows, maybe all the work done on Mantle games from now until 2016 can be ported over to DX12 can be patched in.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I dont see the point in mantle, as all its providing is higher fps at lower resolution and lower detail settings. I can do that without mantle.

So why would anyone with high end rigs even need to care for mantle, along with the fact that it requires dev specific time and money to implement, you can achieve the same performance increases just by focusing on proper coding right from the beginning instead of be lazy.

As is though, mantle is nothing more than a marketing gimmick and a game specific pc patch that has amd's name on it, instead of the actual game developers.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    until dx12 is out, MAYBE mantle will work properly on amd hardware, mainly because amd is purely incapable of designing proper drivers. they have demonstrated this time and time again. 1 month post-launch drivers with huge fps improvements come to mind.

it's funny how every time mantle is being discussed, everyone is praising it and ignoring the fact that many people are unhappy with its compatibility. just read the last amd driver's topic here on guru3d. why are people praising it so much when there are soo many issues with it?

amd has all my respect for releasing it and forcing the lazyasses over in microsoft camp to actually improve the direct3d. I'm not hating the idea, I'm hating the company for letting it go to waste. it was actually a brilliant idea, just poorly executed (at least thus far).

and before my claims are dismissed on grounds of

take a look under my name, in the 'CPU' section. mantle would have never benefited me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    As an nvidia/intel user, if Mantle had anything to get excited about, id happily cross over.

But as its is... meh.

8. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    this is patently wrong. it *is* providing performance considerable gains at lower resolutions/detail levels but marginal improvements can be seen even at 1440p. and this is for free. just think about the premium you have to pay for 5% extra fps when buying a high end gpu.

dx overhead doesn't exist because game developers are lazy. there are badly optimized games, sure, but even the best coding won't eliminate the negative effect of an obsolete third party api you have to rely on.

source: i write computer programs for a living

because it's still in beta. admittedly, i'm also having a lousy experience in thief with it (and don't care about bf4) but i'm going to reserve final judgement for the whql drivers.

also, i'm not sure why you're hailing mantle as useless tech (aside from brand loyalty). i'm pretty sure game developers are not seeing the tech at gdc for the first time like us and have known about dx12 for some time, yet some really big names are still opting to support mantle. go figure.

9. grndzro7

grndzro7 Member

GPU:
    7850 @ 1200/1400
    Crytek waited for Star Citizen to implement Mantle in Cryengine 3 then rolled it into Cryengine 4.

I'm sure when Thief is fully Mantle enabled Epic will roll that into UE4. Nvidia paying Epic not to would be quickly leaked and be a big smear on them. It will come. Have patience.

10. grndzro7

grndzro7 Member

GPU:
    7850 @ 1200/1400
    DX 12 is dead on arrival. It would make no sense to support a platform locked API when a developer can support Mantle+NV and be available on all platforms. The programming overhead for supporting NV's upcomming OGL tweaks and Mantle is not a big deal.

If MS locks DX12 to W9 it will be a complete failure from a developer support perspective.

11. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Because Epic has a contract with Nvidia and because the UE4 is full with Nvidia tech(GameWorks),thats why,happy now?

So DX12 is dead on arrival,pls go on,tell me more!
    Geez,AMD fanboys are going nuts since Microsoft announced DX12.

12. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    bad post.

13. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Right, DirectX 12 is DOA and Mantle will take over..

Epic is implementing DX12, there's no point in them using Mantle.
    [​IMG]

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, it reeks of hypocrisy.

Mantle only works on very new AMD cards and people are shouting about how it will be a success.

DX12 works with every GPU vendor and even nearly 6 year old Nvidia hardware, but it will be a failure because it only works with W9 (Something we don't know yet)

Seriously, no one will give a feck about W7 in 2016, by then it will be the XP of the PC world and anyone admitting to using it will be subjected to ridicule and accused of holding back PC gaming.

Not saying that is fair, but we have all been through this before so we know its going to happen.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ^Epic will be working closely with NVIDIA and Microsoft to create a world-class implementation of DirectX12 in UE4.^

Epic already spunking all over nvidia. we're back to square one. some games will run better on nvidia, some on AMD, under dx12. Or there will be a third option, called mantle... that will steamroll both. Let's see what happens.

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never mentioned Epic or UE4...

Personally i don't see Mantle existing once DX12 has arrived, there just doesn't seem any point as multiple api's will only ruin things for us all.
    Mantle is/was only great when DX was crap.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed, we finally get consoles with closer to pc development, and now their introducing more apis etc to make things messy again.

18. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I am liking Mantle's ability to help break Micro$oft's habit of forcing gamers to buy their latest version of Windows just to be able to use the features of the latest GFx card they bought with the games they want to play.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yeah, it's much better to have AMD or NVidia forcing people to upgrade.....that's a lot better for everyone..... Instead of upgrading your operating system every 2-6 years....you'll have to upgrade your graphics card.

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, the fact people think upgrading a GPU for several hundred $/£/Euro is better than paying much less for a new OS (or even free if your that way inclined) is better is just alot of crap.

Lying to themselves is bad enough, but spreading that about makes them look stupid.