Mantle and R9 285/380 2GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Truder, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Hi guys, just wondering what people's findings are with using Mantle rendering path on the 285/380? (How is it on the 380 4GB?)

I just recently picked up Dragon Age Inquisition and noticed in the options that I could select Mantle.

Is it worth using this? From what I've heard, at least on Battlefield 4, Mantle on the 285 doesn't seem to play nice because of the 2GB vram.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk about BF4 and DA but i would recommend a Thief to get general idea. Every benchmark showed 10fps+ increase over DX in that tittle. Mantle implementation done right.

Dont have any of those games tho, cant tell you more. :/

3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
  4. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Wonder why AMD keeps ignoring DX11 multi core performance. It's even lower than single core.
    I guess they are expecting to jump straight to DX12

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    For me, during the last ~5 months, DAI has been getting slower with Mantle but faster with DX11.
    Now with the last DAI patch (patch 11 according to the release notes, v12 in game files) and the AMD 15.12 Win10 driver I get about half the frame-rate with Mantle compared to DX11.
    A few months ago, when the raw fps numbers were really close (but Mantle had a clear advantage with the cut-scenes and thus it would have been preferable overall) there was a problem with tripple-buffering, so it came out as inferior if one wished to use V-sync but didn't have the raw horsepower to get absolute stable 60fps (or the desired number in case the display is capable of more but I consider 60 as a minimum for the target and 45 as acceptable for random dips but a jump to 30 is very distracting).
    Fortunately the new driver seemed to fix the stuttering of the cut-scenes. I guess it's a benefit of the DX/OGL shader cache (which has always been enabled for Mantle in this game but came as a new feature for DirectX and OpenGL with the Crimson driver).

Interestingly enough, the 3DMark feature test indicates a big leap in Mantle performace. Now it's faster than DX12 by about as much as it was slower a few months ago. I guess I can understand if this is more important than actual games. :nerd:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Maybe there is no more margin of improvement in AMD drivers for DX11 than what was gained in first half of 2015.

7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Well, let's assume the single-threaded DX11 driver path reach it's peak performance (either in an absolute sense or at least relatively to the developer capability/budget of AMD).
    The point is that MT performance which is supposed to land somewhere between 1x and Nx of ST performance (where N is the number of hardware threads, limited by the maximum number of threads allowed by DX11) is often distinctly worse on the commonly tested systems (ranging from 2 to 16+ threads with or without shared/hyper-threads included, several generations of Intel and AMD architectures...)

May be they should implement a "hack" which forcefully reinitializes the MT mode to end up as a true ST mode (may be causing slightly slower setup times but no runtime performance penalty) until they can come up with an MT code which works as intended (even if that meas the hack remains there forever).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    DX11 games strongly favor ST performance over MT.

That's why a 6 or 8 cores CPU has no practical advantage over 4 cores CPUs, specially if the 4 cores GPU can achieve a higher clock via OC.

DX12 promise to change that.

Time will say if paper theory translates to real game advantage kn the case if MT and DX11.

9. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Most would move to Windows 10/DX12 already if not for Microsofts strange strategy.
    PC is most important Windows platform now (of course not phones) and MS keep neglecting it.

10. rafaelluik

rafaelluik Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280
    Optimization for Mantle was made only up to GCN 1.0 and 1.1 cards.

GCN 1.2 cards like R9 285 and 380 didn't receive optimizations for it because Mantle has been discontinued.

Source: "AMD has confirmed that while they are not outright dropping Mantle support, they have ceased all further Mantle optimization. Of particular note, the Mantle driver has not been optimized at all for GCN 1.2, which includes not just R9 Fury X, but R9 285, R9 380, and the Carrizo APU as well. Mantle titles will probably still work on these products – and for the record we can’t get Civilization: Beyond Earth to play nicely with the R9 285 via Mantle – but performance is another matter. Mantle is essentially deprecated at this point, and while AMD isn’t going out of their way to break backwards compatibility they aren’t going to put resources into helping it either. The experiment that is Mantle has come to an end." - Anandtech

tl;dr You likely won't benefit from enabling Mantle in GCN 1.2 and higher chips because AMD discontinued it and didn't work on optimizations for those cards, prefer DX 12 (or even 11) instead.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

11. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    good luck getting mantle to work properly with gcn 1.0...

12. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    lots of people have got it working with GCN 1.0

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Works here.

14. Starfighter2

Starfighter2 Guest

GPU:
    Club 3D R9 280 royalKing
    Yes I noticed that BF4 on Mantle (MSI R9 380 2G) on HIGH settings works about the same as DX11, so I use DX11,it seams more fluid.

15. BAZOKA1942

BAZOKA1942 Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390
    any one plz do benchmark crimson vs old catalyst draw calls or at least give us crimson draw calls vs shader cash off