Man Shoots AMD Threadripper Processor with gun - Bullseye

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    A Threadripper setup should be quite valuable with the CPU and the mobo. Shouldn't home insurance already cover some of it when an accident happens? Maybe this person already got his (partial) money to build a new system, and decided to use the old one for this purpose? At least he wouldn't have shot it before discussing with his insurance company. Or maybe he shot it after he was denied any insurance money...

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Maybe he shot himself too shortly after posting on reddit?

Clawedge likes this.
  4. stefpats

stefpats Member

GPU:
    NvidiaGeForce2080Ti
    You sir should write novels and not comments on guru3d.Jesus,that imagination..

schmidtbag likes this.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What a waste. I also remember some crazy Russian fellow shooting 7 iPhones with an AK47 lol. I guess the ad money is good.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    House insurance won't cover the cost of a PC when a part of that PC has malfunctioned, such as an AIO leaking.

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    If you are smart when you setup your homeowners insurance you can cover whatever you want with whatever amount you want to cover it for. I've personally got $10k coverage just for my basement, but that just barely covers my PC.

Again I said if one was smart on it it can happen.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I certainly never checked all the small print in my insurance papers to check if it excludes it. Back when I read the papers, liquid cooling wasn't on my mind, so I wouldn't have noticed. I can only hope it doesn't, in case my AIO decides to leak. Not that I'd be losing a bloody Threadripper.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I'm sure at least one of the parts is faulty (maybe the infamous Foxconn CPU latch?), and a refund was denied due to overclocking. So now having an expensive paperweight, the owner just decided to shoot the stuff. Still an idiot, but I otherwise can't understand why someone would shoot such expensive hardware. It's not like the PS3 days where people were standing in line for hours to get one, and this on guy bought a PS3 just to smash it in front of everyone in line. That person was still being wasteful and an idiot, but at least "accomplished" something (albeit, extremely mean-spirited). Destroying a product that's been out for a while and has plenty of availability is nothing more than "well that was dumb... moving on".

I think it's going to be pretty hard to explain to the insurance company that this was either an accident or 3rd party vandalism. Seeing as most computer cases involve a lot of metal surrounding them, especially the CPU, I think you'd have a hard time convincing the insurance company "yeah uh... I was doing my daily clean for my rifle in my livingroom, and I forgot the safety was off so it shot the most expensive thing in the room... then out of panic I shot it a few more times. Gimme money pls".
    Meanwhile if you go for the vandalism route, there'd be a very low probably that someone would get clean shots of the inside of a computer when it is inside your house, while destroying nothing else. It'd be a little more realistic to say "maybe it was outside" but why would it be outside?

If the insurance company ever finds out about the video, that removes all chances of getting any payment.

Keitosha and kruno like this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    kruno likes this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's not what I wrote. I said the mobo and CPU were damaged by a liquid leak (just following Hilbert's theory) and the person already got his money from the insurance company (and decided to put the PC carcass to "good" secondary use) or was infuriated because the money was denied (and decided some shooting will alleviate stress). Nobody said he would try to get insurance money after he put a bullet in the thing.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Ah my bad.

13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    When I was building water cooled systems, I made sure the liquid is not conductive enough to short stuff if it leaks. And it did leak several times. PC freezes, you shut it down, rinse the components and everything is fine. I would imagine that modern AIO systems use similar liquids and will not kill components if they leak. But I might be wrong.

HawaiianBrian likes this.
  14. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Judging from the photo he/she took the ram out aftrer shooting it. Idoit. Take the ram out first like you did with the GPU's. The CPU water cooler was intact at the time when the shot took place. Seems the whole cooling loop was intact at the time due to the moisture all over the board. I don't care if you destroy the stuff you just paid a ton of money for but that also doesn't mean you not a fool.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    if my old truck was a horse I'd have to shoot it...:(..........<:p

16. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I had a lemon bike, I think I posted it in one of the pub's threads before.

I did a burnout for exactly 7 minutes and 40 seconds to ensure it died in a spectacular fashion (It seized with a nice clunky noise) and then me and my friends smashed it with a few tools.

Then whatever was left that was metal we brought to a scrapyard. Got maybe like 60 euro's from it.

This is the proper way to finish off a vehicle of any kind.

OT:

Anyone got a bet on anger issues? Thats what I would bet on.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    hahahaha^ been there, done that!.....:D

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Instead of pondering the imponderable...I want to ask Hilbert how a Dutchman came up with 'rambunctious'. My grandmother was the last person I heard use that term, and she passed at 93, 20 years ago. :p

yasamoka and airbud7 like this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    was your grandmother referring to you when she said it?....:p

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    20 years ago? No. 50 years ago, probably.