MaLDo Texture Mod for Crysis 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MaLDo, Jun 4, 2011.

1. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Thanks. I'm doing an update in my blog. ****, how shiny and specular fallen leaves in that shot, I've modified some values I think are a lot more natural now.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Hah yeah I just checked InCrysis and CryMod now and it had been mentioned already it seems, though as you said and what the discussion focused on the material files don't fully match the 1.9 specifics for some of those enhancements that patch brings but personally I think it looks OK most of the time.
    (I use DX9 though so I'm a little less affected for the moment.)

EDIT: Oh right the reflection material differs in dark conditions as well I forgot about that.
    (Cell Trooper reflections as one example but also much else and nearly all surfaces are affected by this, should perhaps have used a daytime shot.)

Anyway the vines further past this roof really benefit from your texture compared to Cryteks. :p

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Thank you sooo much MaLDo!!! I really hate a lot of the textures used in C2. Some are just appalling quality...honestly some textures makes it feel like 1998 all over again.

Really hope you find time (and perhaps others) to continue to improve and refine the work you've already done. We need people like you!!!!

Oh yeah, I would even forsake DX11 for real quality textures in-game like you've done.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    how to install this mod, i have tried everything, no luck..... please tell me step by step...

5. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Fantastic work, need to test this out when i get in.

7. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    MaLDo,your mod is amazing but I have one question.
    If I install your mode will I be able to use DX11 tessellation on some textures or it will be completely disabled?

8. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    MaLDo, great work! I dled it but am not sure how to use it. I have the 1.9, high-res and dx11 patches installed (though I'm playing in dx9 because of my card).

9. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Follow the instructions in blog, it's veeeery easy

http://maldotex.blogspot.com

10. Gembel

Gembel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2

Just Extract to your Crysis 2 installation mod folder, for me it should look like this:
    L:\Crysis 2\Mods

Start Crysis 2 and choose mods and load MaldoHD ...done :)

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    They do look good, but I cant help the feeling that the originals posted on first page were made to look terrible, as if some settings were turned down to contrast against the high res screenies to make the difference look more dramatic. I doubt that I will get as lousy quality as this from the games original textures where the writing on the crates is unreadable even closeup:

[​IMG]

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    That seems unlikely but you could always browse trough the textures and see if you can find this specific one, could be a error in a material file also since those determine many parameters for these textures and how they're applied.

I haven't seen this particular texture yet but I doubt there are any downscaled original textures in the pack and since all it contains is material files and textures (.dds most often.) there's no settings or otherwise applied.

Tell which level this is on and I can compare it more effectively though I am fairly certain it's not mod related or possibly it's a slight error in one of the material files.

EDIT: I can't find a texture file for that object or a material file so that only leaves that it's something with the game or a combination of settings or tweaked commands but we'll see once I find the actual texture in-game or rather via the editor.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  13. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    You're cool Jonas, evaluating before making a decision :)

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Those textures should be covered by the mod actually.
    http://www.crymod.com/viewtopic.php?f=310&t=68421
    (It's listed a bit further down in the image examples posted.)

I'll see if I can't find it.

EDIT: Unless I've misunderstood and the above example is from the default game in comparison, which is possible. :)

15. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

I can't undertand you, the screenshot is real and is taken in same conditions that the other one with the mod

[​IMG]

Maybe this texture is better with crytek HD patch, those screenshots are before crytek release her patch. In my blog, only version 2.0 screens are taken versus the crytek HD patch, and I say in the blog.

16. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hey, thanks for the explanation. I guess I missed those simple instructions on yoru blog. ;-)

One last one, though, should I disable high-res textures in advanced graphics before running this mod or can I just leave it enabled?

Thanks so much for all of your time and effort! We all appreciate it.

17. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

MaLDo HD mod includes a selection of Crytek HD textures plus Mod textures, so you can disable HD textures ingame menu to low gpu memory requeriments. If you activate HD textures ingame, there are more HD textures but mainly in less visible points. Intention of mod is solve textures that can be readed or those that are in very visible zones (cover points, middle of the main path, etc), and unchanged in less visible zones. Crytek HD patch double resolution of a texture list with very strange criteria, so the amount of used memory is a lot higher and visual change is not proportional imo.

alanm, this is for you

[​IMG]

You can zoom and change contrast at your choice to try read the original text. Original is 256x256, Crytek HD version is 512x512 and MaLDoHD is 1024x1024. And remember my modded texture is made BEFORE crytek launch his pack, so I have to search real c4 pictures. This is the picture I used to create my texture

[​IMG]

18. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ok, thanks MaLDo, will try it. Cheers

Edit: I tried the mod and I must say that in many places I found it to be much better than the official high-res textures.

I get a little less system RAM and pagefile usage on Maldo's compared to Crytek's and the average FPS is the same.

If I run both at the same time, system RAM usage is ~ 5Gb and pagefile usage is ~7 Gb, which is more than each texture pack run separately.

However, it doesn't negatively affect my FPS.

19. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Okay i'm being very retarted here and ive searched both Threads on here and read many stuff on other forums and read many conflicting infos.

Can someone tell me in just simple yes or no answers please...

1) If I run MaLDoHD Mod does it disable Tessalation & POM ?
    2) Do MaLDoHD + High Res textures run together & both work fully ?

Thanks

20. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

1) MOD DOES NOT DISABLE ANYTHING. But, mod includes a lot of custom material definitions and some are mlt of walls and floor. Those walls and floors (only on those that I edited material definition manually) don't have POM and Teselation because material definitions are different in DX9 and DX11.

2) You can run together but I recommend use only mod because high memory requeriments using two.