MAJOR x800 XT 256mb Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DeathtrapX, Dec 28, 2005.

1. DeathtrapX

DeathtrapX Master Guru

GPU:
    x800 XT 256mb sapphire 500/500
    I bought an x800 XT 256mb Sapphire card like 4-5 months ago. I've been to noob to realize how bad this card is performing, I just figured it was my poor ram and psu that were bottlenecking my fps. I get low as 20 fps in DOD source ....

My rig is a 3200 athlon 64, now running on a gig of OCZ gold series ddr 400, and a nice modstream PSU at 520 Watt.

I just put my 9800 pro 128mb OEM in the machine today, and I get literally identical fps/performance to my x800 XT 256mb Sapphire. There is no difference in FPS at all. What the hell is going on ?!

Is my x800 XT just a bad egg , maybe just a half defected card? It still runs games, just at the same identical fps as my 9800 pro ..... I have no idea what to do. I figured it was my ram/psu before, but after installing the new modstream and ocz ram, and realizing my fps didnt change, I had to try the 9800 pro .... SAME fps as the x800 XT as I said before.

What is the RMA process for this kinda stuff? Am I screwed since I bought it 5 months ago? I really dont know what to do at this point = / 20 fps is just not playable.

2. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Can u run 3D Mark 2005 and post back with the results on both 9800 and X800, it may help us to see how badly it is performing. Feel for you man. :(

3. Stephan.nl

Stephan.nl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Maybe a driver update, try the 5.11 drivers from ATI or the ones that came on the CD that you got with your card
    Change the frequencies of your overclock back to stock

i hope it helps !!

4. DeathtrapX

DeathtrapX Master Guru

GPU:
    5800 marks on the x800 Xt, no idea what the 9800 pro gets. Probably 3000 something if I remember right.

I really don't think its even the card at this point ....

Changing settings in my games does nothing to improve FPS. I just ran quake 4 at 1024 X 800 with no AA / AF , all details high, high quality.

Then Ran it 1024 X 800, everything low, no details, sameeeee FPS. I am thinking something is wrong with the AGP portion of my motherboard. I really don't know.

I'd say maybe the 754 socket MB is catching up to the times, but I know its more then that. Anyway I am "Coming into some inheritance" soon, (pretty lame to say that lol) , so I ll just be building a new pc, and my 1st one at that. This is what I get for buying PC's =P

Thanks anyways guys, don't think I ll bother to RMA this x800 XT, I really don't even think its the card. Has to be motherboard related at this point

Also I lowered my AGP to 4X just for the hell of it, no change. AGP aperture is 256mb, I ll lower for fun , doubt it will do a thing though.

5. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    Tried the 5.13's?

Just for the sake of trying to solve the problem, format & reinstall windows, download the latest mobo, agp drivers, install them, then install the 5.13's. Almost all the times this solves problems like the one you're having.

6. DeathtrapX

DeathtrapX Master Guru

GPU:
    What would be the proper via 4 in 1 's to download for an asus k8v k8t800 board? VIA HyperionPro Driver Package 5.04 A? or the VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers 4.56v? Do agp drivers come with these packages?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  7. nathanstaples89

nathanstaples89 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    Is it only on quake 4? Maybe you have put a cap on the number of fps to play on. example: In Counter Strike: Source, if you type in "fps_max 30" then that is the highest amount of fps that your system will allow. Until od course, you change it back. Maybe you or a friend or something did it with your old 9800 pro for some more consistency and maybe it's all forgotten about now. In that case you might be able to fix it by reinstalling the game, or if you remember the code, you could set the max fps to like 300 in the console or something so it doesn't affect you anymore, (I don't have Quake 4 so I couldn't tell you the console code for it)

Again, just a thought.

8. DeathtrapX

DeathtrapX Master Guru

GPU:
    It's not fps cap lol : P thanks though.

I think my clawhammer 3200 athlon 64 is just getting old. It was the first batch of athlon 64s , very first of them. And its 754 socket. I guess it's not very good anymore.

9. nathanstaples89

nathanstaples89 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7850 2GB
    Well, my socket 754 Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz runs without any problems like that, I think it's the NewCastle core. And I thought that the socket 754 Athlon 64 3200 was clocked at 2.2 GHz at stock. I wouldn't suspect your processor of making your X800 XT run like a 9800 pro. It kind of proves it when your 3dmark 05 score for your x800 xt is over double that of your old 9800 pro. Hmmm, weird problem.