Major Steam update and now all my games show as Install rather than Play!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Feb 16, 2013.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    now i am paranoid to fire up steam almost wanted to practice some dota2 since i suck at it.

2. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Lol i,m with cerebus23 , I,m a bit afraid to load steam up at the moment after reading this thread

May wait a few days and see if they come out with a fix

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Im from the UK and have no problems here, i run steam from my second drive.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Steam is fine on my end.

5. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Updated this morning and everything was fine , Then just a few minutes ago , Loaded up steam and it had another small update lol

I did find a 13 GB update for team fortress 2 . 13 freaking GB??? for a update lol Give me a brake

6. BeLGaRaTh_67

BeLGaRaTh_67 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT680 Classified 4GB
    Maybe they added a new hat

7. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's a big hat.

8. machete

machete Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080/G12
    just install it will auto find those games then wont dpwnload

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    He described what happens and why it matters.
    I guess you missed the other 45 posts :)

10. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    Just started Steam and got that big update. Game installations are OK but i noticed it's downloading something, nothing shows in download section but when i put my mouse
    over steam icon in taskbar it says downloading audiosurf demo o_O
    I already own the full version...

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Got all my Steam games showing as installed now although I live in morbid fear of the next Steam update messing everything up again. And it is no surprise that four laters I've yet to hear a peep from Steam support. From past experience, it takes them over a week to reply to tickets, which, IMO, is simply unacceptable. Good job the issue wasn't urgent and I managed to resolve it myself.

12. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    2 RIGS, 3 laptops , 1 tablet
    not a single problem with the update
    wow, you got bad luck right there

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well, I've been using Steam across three different PCs since 2004 and have never had this issue so, yes, I guess I and the few others who had this problem have been a bit unlucky. At least I didn't actually have to reinstall or redownload all the affected games again, that's a blessing, I suppose.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I noticed last night that nine of my Steam games (Death Rally, Deponia, GTA IV, etc.) had suddenly decided to become 'uninstalled' once more and I had to do the install/file rediscovery thing again even though I did those games and all the others that mysteriously lost their 'Play' option just over a week ago.

Steam support finally got back to me after TEN days (sheesh, it's a really good job it wasn't anything really urgent, right?) with a disappointing cut and paste of something that I'd already tried from their technical support pages. In other words, utterly useless. I've been using Steam for years and Windows 8 since last October so I'm puzzled as to why this has just started happening in the past few weeks.

Very annoying and it definitely puts me off buying games on Steam or Steamworks. I will be upgrading my CPU and motherboard in a few months once Haswell is released so it might be time for a fresh Windows install even though I don't think that is the cause here.

15. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You've got some crap luck, Darren. I've got the Steam client and 170 games installed on my H drive and all is normal. The dozen or so titles on my laptop are also fine.

Lorin Baumgarten from the Axe Factor podcast had a similar customer service experience with Steam a few months back when his account was hacked. He was locked out of all his games for about 10 days.

Best of luck.

16. MamaLuigi

MamaLuigi New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 SSC
    I got the same bug yesterday on Windows 7 for most of the smaller games installed on my second HDD. I had to reinstall and rediscover them too. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.