Major Steam update and now all my games show as Install rather than Play!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Feb 16, 2013.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wow u guys are unlucky. just tried this on 2 pc's. (where on one steam is on D (win7 X64), on the other is on F (win8 X64)), and all is working fine.
    didnt have to fill in my login details aswell.

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Same.

But I might've gotten lucky since I haven't logged in for the last 2 or 3 days before just now, so who knows.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's all fine for me.

Perhaps after 4 years your Windows needs a clean install.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If I had a penny for every time someone suggested reinstalling Windows as a solution to software problems I'd be a millionaire and could retire! :p

The Windows install is just three months old as I'm using Windows 8 and it has been working 100% fine for months now. I doubt this issue has anything to do with Windows and I'm not about to waste several weeks reinstalling it then all my software just to find out either.

Sorry. I'm not being rude but the issue is purely with Steam, all my non-Steam games and Origin are working exactly as before. It can't be a coinicide that the error occurred after the last Steam client update and Mufflore has the same problem as me too. Should he also reinstall Windows as well...? ;)

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Maybe this is a UK region bug ? dont know really, but since you both ere from the uk ?

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    What if you rename the depotchace (Important, it holds the downloaded cache files with this new format.) and steamapps folders, start Steam and it would list nothing as installed and then you exit Steam (To get it to update.) and rename the folders back, it should show everything as up to date though it might do a automatic update of a few titles.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've already deleted all the files inside the Steam folder except for Steam.exe, SteamApps (games library) and UserData (Cloud and saves). Steam reinstalled but the library still shows 98% of my Steam games as uninstalled. I'm having to go to each one to install them and that triggers a file rediscovery rather than download which takes anywhere between a few seconds to 15+ minutes depending on the size of the game.

9. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Had a similar issue a while ago(But it was my fault)

Simply click install the game, Steam with automatically find a previous installation in the same directory.

No need for download.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That's fine but when you have 150 of these 'uninstalled' games? Am I really expected to have to do each one manually? As I've said earlier some of these take 15 minutes to 'rediscover'. It is the very definition of 'tedious' and a real downer for Steam. I've never had to do this for any non-Steam game I've installed for a disc for example. :3eyes:

11. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Mine had 2 updates that were installing like windows exe and thought thats weird.

Whenever I have issues with Steam I delete clientregistry.blob file and all is well.

How do you have your steam installed? on your OS or 2nd drive?

12. BeLGaRaTh_67

BeLGaRaTh_67 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT680 Classified 4GB
    It's because they had to change the API to make it work under Linux, apparantly it's screwed up Mac OS too, but I can't be arsed with that platform :)

Having major issues myself, the updater keeps failing and locking up my machine, there have been three updates in the last few days, and I have to reboot my machine each time before the update will actually erm ... update.

Valve/steam dropped the ball on this one I think :(

13. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    i got the update and so far 70+ games installed are not affected. See under options if you can check the integrity of the files. (cant remember if they still have the option)

14. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    I had the large steam update too... once steam logged me in ARMA 2 started auto-updating 7.2gb of $h!t... and because it's updating i can't check file integrity even when i pause the update.

Other games seem ok..

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The option is greyed out until the games are installed, which would make sense except for the fact the games ARE installed! :3eyes:

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It is installed on my 3rd E: drive which is a 2 TB one with a single partition solely for Steam and non-Steam games.

17. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    all fine here :(

18. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hmm that is weird indeed... I've had no problems after the update!

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    No problems here, just played 2 hours of Sega all stars. Fun game

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    294 favourites... 247 games installed... just 47 more installs to go... ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!